The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I doubt we'll give a feck. As long as we're above the 7th place the pars ended up in a few years back that's enough . 

If the vote had gone the other way it would've been 22 games anyway and we would've been in the playoffs and further ahead of East Fife not below them.

HAHAHAHA

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Absolutely!

But it would seem our model of living within our means is better suited than yours. 

Like you we sold our old ground to a supermarket. Difference is we cleared our debt and built a brand new stadium using the proceeds of the sale. You don’t even own your own stadium now and have no youth academy which is the lifeblood of a provincial football club.

Face facts. You would love to be in our situation. We are the model for all diddy clubs to follow.

I'd say St Johnstone are the model for us to emulate, but you've certainly done no' bad in the last 3 or 4 years.

Guest Peter LaFleur

Expected some sort of statement from the weasels Deans and Holt by now. They could have had it typed weeks ago.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

6 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Absolutely!

But it would seem our model of living within our means is better suited than yours. 

Like you we sold our old ground to a supermarket. Difference is we cleared our debt and built a brand new stadium using the proceeds of the sale. You don’t even own your own stadium now and have no youth academy which is the lifeblood of a provincial football club.

Face facts. You would love to be in our situation. We are the model for all diddy clubs to follow.

St Johnstone did all that years before you I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Absolutely!

Not wanting to take this off topic but you are not unique.

As it stands St Johnstone have been owned by a fan since 1986, all directors are supporters and don't draw a wage, we have a 4 sided stadium , a youth set up providing players who won a national trophy this season and are aiming for a cup double, over 2 million in the bank pre pandemic and have players who we can sell for 7 figure sums  with more coming via the academy.

Like you we are in good health and with a bit of time and investment I am sure Falkirk could be in that situation as well in the next 5 to 10 years, patience may be the key.

3 hours ago, Douglas Peel said:

No reason Falkirk couldnt  beat Real Madrid either. And  Osama Bin Laden could  have been the Governor of Texas. 

Now come on.

What's Bin Laden done to deserve getting dredged up here?

1 hour ago, G51 said:

It's not an insurmountable challenge though. I'd still fancy Falkirk to outspend those teams, and even if you didn't, you just need to find a competitive edge somewhere.

Falkirks edge in the old days was the youth academy. It often produced really good players. Even when it only produced average ones, it gave you them at cut-price wages because they were young academy graduates. That allowed you to spend the money saved elsewhere in the squad.

That's gone now. So what do you do now? What are Falkirk going to do better than the other nine teams in the league?

The obvious answer IMO is a robust recruitment process. Most Scottish clubs have an archaic recruitment process based on the managers contacts. There's scope for a smart club to innovate, and American owners are likely to be receptive to that considering how prevalent analytics are in American sports.

No No No ! We couldn't afford the academy , it was going to cost ten squillion pounds a year to run and even when someone else was going to fully fund the thing, it would still have bankrupt us.   

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

The thing is we have filled the team with journeymen who lets face it haven't achieved much on the field, they turn up play football get a wage and thats their lot.  They simply dont give a shite either way they get paid.  When was the last time we had a player that gave a toss about the club therein lie part of the issue.  Might mean nothing to them but means a damn sight more to us. they move on and find another club. 

Craig Campbell's dream finally realized. 

If it's a Peter Grant and Gary Holt doubleact,  you can count me out. f**k off Falkirk.

Edit to add again: Holt apparently said after last nights game he's drawing up a shortlist and delivering to the board by 14th May. He should be out the door for being a slavering buffoon, but the hiring of Grant would show that to be total bollocks too.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

28 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Absolutely!

Well no, that would actually be St. Johnstone who have achieved more than St Mirren and Falkirk in the last decade. 

Didn't your chairman come out with something saying he sees St Mirren as a top 6 club? That's eerily similar to what was banded about TFS 12/13 years ago. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
Just now, 18BAIRN76 said:

If it's a Peter Grant and Gary Holt doubleact,  you can count me out. f**k off Falkirk.

To be fair, I don’t think Grant would be a yes man whatsoever. He has vast experience as a coach and his time at Alloa wasn’t a complete disaster. Not saying he’d be one of my top picks but I wouldn’t go into a meltdown if it was to be him. 
Meltdown for me would be a random rookie with rat Brooks as assistant.

It may just be coincidence, but I wondered if Grant was being lined up for the job as I’m sure it was announced he was leaving Alloa the same day M&M were sacked. As I said though, could be complete coincidence

26 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'd say St Johnstone are the model for us to emulate, but you've certainly done no' bad in the last 3 or 4 years.

The difference between St Mirren and St Johnstone is that they are not majority fan owned. If the Brown family decide to move on it could leave them in difficulty. Commercially they are way ahead of us in off field revenue thanks to the crematorium next door ur . They really excel in that regard and it’s good to see them rewarded with success in the cups - hopefully we put an end to their domestic cup dominance this season on Sunday. 

Did you know however that St Mirren have won three major honours since Falkirk last did in 1957? 

Most of your fans have never managed to experience such a high. I will raise a glass to you when you do. I like to see all the provincial clubs do well.

We were one goal away from relegation to League 1 a few seasons ago. We have never been lower that the second tier. Anything can happen in the course of 90minutes in Scottish fitba - that’s what makes it magic!