The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The sort of thing a struggling boys club would do.

It looks incredibly amateur, looking at his other tweet he appears to have been at Hutchie Vale in Edinburgh so I'm hoping the plan is to tap into established boys clubs and see what talent they have that could make the step up. Plenty about here that should be monitored.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What does he actually expect will happen as a result of this tweet?

To be honest, I don't have an issue with using social media to invite guys in for trials, they have said that they are open to anybody who may have fallen away from the game.

It has to have a much more professional look though and not from one guys twitter account. 

31 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What does he actually expect will happen as a result of this tweet?

I'd imagine he's amassed a fair few coaches on his twitter the last few years so he's assuming they'll contact him about players or the tweet will get shared putting the word out that we are starting up our development team. What do you think 16 to 19 year olds spend their time doing all day? 

We've got to start somewhere we have literally nothing at the moment. Do you think clubs are going to go 'here Falkirk here's 15 of our academy to get you up and running' 

We maybe had one of the best academies back in the day but right now we have nothing so we're starting from the bottom of the ladder.

Is this....the great masterplan to restart our youth team and long term bring in transfer fees for the club...?
37B01D5B-452A-4B21-AE2C-507F5372D4C4.thumb.jpeg.94c3f4bdb060524e7c0f1aa7e49a9f95.jpeg

It’s likely to be one of a number of ways of trying to recruit new raw talent.
I see nothing wrong with inviting youngsters to trial for a place tbh....

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Are we playing a team with the defensive strength of the greatest Italian teams combined with the flair up front of the great 1970 Brazil team and with individuals who can reach Messi or Ronaldo heights or Partick bloody thistle on Thursday? The Facebook page gets slaughtered (mostly rightly) for its overwhelming positivity and happy clapping but sometimes we should hold a mirror up to ourselves the overwhelming negativity is frightening. We have a very hard game v partick that if we win leaves a home game v Montrose and away to an airdrie team likely to be their under 12s as they rest players for the play offs.

Very hard but not unwinnable game on Thursday that if we do win puts us in an absolutely fantastic position. 

As a slight aside, does anyone know if the game is discounted to compensate for the 1st game stream at firhill? They were going to discount 2nd game at firhill in march before season stopped and I haven't seen anything about it since. It may only be a fiver but it's still better in my pocket that PTFC.

I love your positivity but I honestly cannot see anything in our team at the moment to warrant it,  especially with our injuries. Telfer and Connolly our most creative players are out, we will most likely have kids in our central defence against a Thisle team scoring goals and our strikers aren't near prolific enough. I hope I am wrong I honestly do and we go on some mad streak and win our remaining 3 games.

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'd imagine he's amassed a fair few coaches on his twitter the last few years so he's assuming they'll contact him about players or the tweet will get shared putting the word out that we are starting up our development team. What do you think 16 to 19 year olds spend their time doing all day? 

We've got to start somewhere we have literally nothing at the moment. Do you think clubs are going to go 'here Falkirk here's 15 of our academy to get you up and running' 

We maybe had one of the best academies back in the day but right now we have nothing so we're starting from the bottom of the ladder.

Perhaps, but it just looks so amateurish. It's like someone trying to hurriedly find numbers for a game of fives rather than a professional club looking to restart their youth academy.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

It’s likely to be one of a number of ways of trying to recruit new raw talent.
I see nothing wrong with inviting youngsters to trial for a place tbh....

Nah, should be a hanging offence IMO.

It's just something else for the moaners to moan about. I'm thinking Shadwell must be constipated or something?

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Is this....the great masterplan to restart our youth team and long term bring in transfer fees for the club...?

37B01D5B-452A-4B21-AE2C-507F5372D4C4.jpeg

When I was a kid in the late 1970's being brought up in the Bowhouse area of Grangemouth me and some pals decided to start a football team Bowhouse Rovers. One of the Dads, Jimmy Connolly agreed to manage us but we needed to attract more players. We had trials and made posters that we got put up in the local schools advertising them this is the modern day equivalent.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

The COYB page gets slaughtered for its overwhelming positivity because there has been virtually nothing at all to be positive about for 12 years.

The negativity on here is entirely justified.

So nothing positive since 2009? 2 Scottish cup finals and competing equally with 2 of the best teams in the country in rangers and hibs. I won't disagree if you say nothing positive since housties last season.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

It’s a tenner. 

I know but I'm looking at them honouring the discount so I'd pay a fiver and still have a fiver in my pocket not Patrick thistles 

He was also at Hutchison Vale possibly looking at players but that won’t be mentioned i suppose. 

If it even gets one player it’d worth the time sending a tweet ffs.

Edited by gav-ffc

10 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

So nothing positive since 2009? 2 Scottish cup finals and competing equally with 2 of the best teams in the country in rangers and hibs. I won't disagree if you say nothing positive since housties last season.

I know but I'm looking at them honouring the discount so I'd pay a fiver and still have a fiver in my pocket not Patrick thistles 

I know I wasn’t meaning anything, just saying they didn’t appear to be discounting. 

30 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Okay, here goes, on field positives since August 2017:

Zak Rudden

Declan McManus

The Wolves on-loan keeper 

Paul Dixon’s improvement 

Charlie Telfer this season

Gomis and Connolly in spells 

Falkirk 6-1 Dundee United

Jan 18’-Apr 18’ under Hartley

Jan 19’-Mar 19’ under McKinnon 

Theres been wins and perhaps the odd decent performance from team/individual too but the above are the stand out positives in a sea of shite.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

1 hour ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Hibs weren't one of the best teams in the country, they were in the Championship for a reason.

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

37B01D5B-452A-4B21-AE2C-507F5372D4C4.jpeg

Restarting the youth system has to be done in a sustainable way that supports the first team rather than takes resources away from it, which it seems like Ian Fergus is doing.

We’re in league 1- we can’t afford to have 4 or 5 age groups with coaches and then be offering professional contracts to players who are never going to make it.

Far better to recruit a small group of hungry guys  with potential on a part time basis who will then be offered contracts if and when good enough rather than needing to meet a quota.

Okay there’s maybe some merits to the tweet re marketing but just the wording makes me fear we have no plan here. “The very best players” 😂😂 even anyone up to a level of “good”, never mind “very best” is already at a club...they’re not swanning around doing nothing waiting to be picked up by basket case Falkirk 

27 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Hibs weren't one of the best teams in the country, they were in the Championship for a reason.

Yes, they were atrocious in 13/14, and outgunned by Hearts and Rangers in 14/15. They were a very good side in 15/16.

1 hour ago, gav-ffc said:

He was also at Hutchison Vale possibly looking at players but that won’t be mentioned i suppose. 

If it even gets one player it’d worth the time sending a tweet ffs.

An excellent place to start. We got Ciaran Dunne from there and probably a fair few others over the years.