The Falkirk FC Thread

6 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

I know quite a few St Johnstone fans and incredibly all of them dislike their board.

I worked in Perth for many years and with the exception of the Chairman who was pals with Geoff Brown and one of the women in accounts no one else gave a stuff about the club.

18 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Is Perth a rugby town?

Perthshire RFC are reasonably 'popular', but many more people actually play lots of different sports than go and watch them.

Hockey, running, cricket etc are all popular participation sport here.

Tough being a Falkirk fan these days. We've been on a slow downward spiral for, what, 15 years? From Yogi's last season, we were poor. We got better under Houston for a bit, and Hartley had a decent half-season. But aside from that the decisions taken by the club have been poor. 

We seemed well run in 2006. We had a youth system that was well regarded to the point that teams loaned us their up and coming star players knowing they'd be well developed with us. Guys like Anthony Stokes, Tim Krul, Kasper effing Schmeichel. These players pulled on our shirts! Now? No decent English team would loan us a single player of potential. This is what the board missed when they binned the system. It isn't just about bringing through players we can sell on for a profit. 

Now we've returned to Gary Holt. And who is on the horizon for us in future? Nobody!

We are in the feeder markets for managers now. We can take the Alloa approach and hire a young manager hoping they'll turn out to be a gem, but knowing they could turn out to be rank. Or we can go down the has-been route. What's the strategy? What's the plan?

5 hours ago, Trump said:

We were that far behind that 8th was about the best we could have done. That season St Mirren and Livingston went up and have been in the premier league ever since.

We were 2 points off 7th when Hartley came in, having just beat Dunfermline and Morton under Alex Smith in the 2 games prior.

In fact, Inverness who were below us when he came in went on to finish in 5th place, just 2 points off the playoffs.

I’m not saying Hartley did a bad job in his first season but for me he certainly didn’t do anything exceptional imo. 

We were 2 points off 7th when Hartley came in, having just beat Dunfermline and Morton under Alex Smith in the 2 games prior.
In fact, Inverness who were below us when he came in went on to finish in 5th place, just 2 points off the playoffs.
I’m not saying Hartley did a bad job in his first season but for me he certainly didn’t do anything exceptional imo. 
Dunfermline was challenge cup no?

7 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

At the time it was installed a good % of cost was the permanent groundwork and underlay. So the next generation surface laid on top should be a lot cheaper.

Most calculations allow about 40%-50% of the budget to the prep and groundwork. The pitch itself runs about 50-60% of the cost. Assuming the underlayment needs no work (unlikely), given eight years of inflation I don’t think there will be much more than a 25% cost savings for the next rug, if that.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Dundee Utd away was pre transfer window IIRC. The game where Blues went to RB and Aero to LB and we got utterly torn apart.

Mark Kerr ran the width of the pitch with the ball looking for someone to take it, and got driven all the way back to the keeper. He was seething. Aero beat the shit out of Craigen after the game the rumours went....

It was a fucking shambles but I think it was the start of Hartley routing that squad. We ended up with Jakubiak and Nelson up front, Robson and Tumilty both did well from Wing Back. Tommy T put in some belting performances too post January.

We went right off the boil once safety was confirmed tbf but at one point looked like we could have went up the table. We lost a home match to the Pars which kind of killed the momentum.

That was a decent side though, and had we held onto most of them we wouldnt be where we are.

Before viewing the recent Cove and Peterhead away games, that Dundee United match was in the all time terrible shows. For those who were fortunate to miss it, Willo Flood looked as though he was Messi and Durnan smoked cigars all game as though he was Beckenbauer. 

49 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

He also had to go through three and a half months playing Houston's dross.

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

He also had to go through three and a half months playing Houston's dross.

Don’t get me wrong the squad was by no means good enough but really it should never have been in 8th to begin with. 

It was bang average at worst and Alex Smith showed it could get results in his two games in charge. 1 win in 10 in a run that included a 3-0 defeat to Morton and 4-2 to Queen of the South was not good with the squad Hartley had before January. 

Mackinnon managed better than that the following year with a far worse squad.

Just logged on today and can’t believe the number of people praising the job Hartley done for us. Is that how far we have fallen in our expectations?

FFS, the guy gave us Haber, Lewis, Dallison and Fasan who are probably the 4 worst players I’ve seen in a Falkirk jersey.

Hartley was a far, greasy tramp and he can get to f**k.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Just logged on today and can’t believe the number of people praising the job Hartley done for us. Is that how far we have fallen in our expectations?

FFS, the guy gave us Haber, Lewis, Dallison and Fasan who are probably the 4 worst players I’ve seen in a Falkirk jersey.

Hartley was a far, greasy tramp and he can get to f**k.

Nobody at all is praising his signings.

He did an OK job that first season and if he had kept that team together I think we’d have done alright the following season.