The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I had to put that interview off half way in.

Was like David Brent with a Scottish accent.

It was pure Brent without being at least a little bit likeable.

Talking about smiles on faces and “megging” boys in training when we’re at our lowest point in my lifetime. Shameless.

I’m no Holt hater either - thought he did an ok job as manager here and we played some decent football. Has he lost his mind since then though 

23 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Therefore whoever comes in as our head coach will likely be someone who is regarded highly as a 'coach' rather than a 'manager' and also has the experience of coaching the same system Holt wants to implement.

I really struggle to see what exactly is on Holt's CV or in his background that merits him being given the autonomy to set the whole football strategy of the club. I get your differentiation between coach and the more traditional manager but whoever is appointed is still going to be tasked with the day-to-day management of a group of footballers. There's no great deviation in the skillset required. Responsibility for recruitment of those players is probably the biggest difference.

Really hope that the presence of Holt, or any requirements to fit in with his "methods" and preferred style of play (whatever those are), is not going to put off some prospective candidates, but suspect it might. I'd far rather we were just looking to appoint a proper manager with some sort of track record and recruitment ability. Combining that with our budgetary advantage over our competitors should be more than sufficient. Too simple for us though.

He paid around £100k for Jack Hamilton to be our goalkeeper.

Sounds like he'll fit right in.

I gave up on Holt's post match interview about a minute in but I did enjoy the interview about the youth set up the other day. I think it sounded like a reasonable and achievable approach to getting it going again and I'm quite excited to see that start. Load of pish about smiling and hard work there too but I get the impression it'll be better for youth football.

24 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Sounds like he'll fit right in.

I gave up on Holt's post match interview about a minute in but I did enjoy the interview about the youth set up the other day. I think it sounded like a reasonable and achievable approach to getting it going again and I'm quite excited to see that start. Load of pish about smiling and hard work there too but I get the impression it'll be better for youth football.

I’m sceptical about the new development concept. Firstly 99% of talent is screened and ends up in the current academy system( we don’t meet the criteria to get in ) So I imagine we’re hoping to pick up a gem missed by the system or a boy who needs a second chance ie Will Vaulks / Robertson / Shankland scenario/ type. 
Whilst that always a possibility it’s not a viable plan - The screening of talent in Scotland is big business and very little if anything is missed by the academies . It might get us younger versions of the pish we currently have but let’s not delude ourselves and think that there is a conveyor belt of talent ( like we had before ) that will see us out of this mess. We need to target the best players in the league were in . This weakens the opposition and boosts us . 

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

2 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

Seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a DOFs job actually entails. My take on it is Holt should be setting up a system, or couple of systems, which will be used throughout the club irrespective of the head coach. Sounds like he's already started that to a degree talking about playing with a 6, 8 and 10.

Next job is to identify which players currently at the club have the ability to fit into those systems and get them signed up. Now scouting begins on the remaining positions. At our level I'd imagine their would be a shortlist of somewhere between 5-10 players for each position. All this should be done with likely minimal involvement from a head coach.

This shortlist will be presented to the coaching team and together they will set an order of preference in line with the budget, before Holt it will have Lex Miller involved with this so no wonder our signings have been a shambles.

Therefore whoever comes in as our head coach will likely be someone who is regarded highly as a 'coach' rather than a 'manager' and also has the experience of coaching the same system Holt wants to implement.

You may well be right but I really hate this concept. Youth development should be about making a player develop their strengths and work on their weaknesses. Making a team at Falkirk should be about trying to recruit the best players you can and find a shape that suits them. With the layout you suggest if a penalty box striker like a young Kris Boyd becomes available then we’ll pass him by. In another shape maybe we’d pass by the likes of a Simon Stainrod. 

My favourite season as a Bairn 2002/03, it felt like McCall created a formation that best suited the players at his disposal and stuck with it. That’s what I want. None of this big concept pish. We’re Falkirk for goodness sake. Just make the most of what we can muster. Find the most effective attackers you can get, a solid keeper, a commanding defender and pick a squad and formation that best utilises your key attacking players.

Edited by Caractacus Potts

Cannot believe some of the names being banded about , more has beens & never will be's. Our BOD have a very tough task & hopefully  for once get it 100% right. Hopefully with Rawlins track record they might uncover a wee gem within their circle of associates, who knows. 

This next appointment is crucial for the amount of engagement I'll give the club over the next few years, to be honest. I've attended games home and away for years, but I think some others feel the same. I'll always, always be a Falkirk fan, I love the club - but holy **** there is only so much you can take. I'm not gonna be going to games and giving this board money if they continue to take bad decision after bad decision and no one is even held accountable. This last year has changed a lot of perceptions - there are so many other ways to spend your time. Life is too short to continue investing both economically and emotionally in something which just takes the piss back at you. I'm very close to being done with this club in its current form.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

To be honest we've had that many dreadful managers since Hughes I've given up and will just be pleasantly surprised when we finally appoint a decent one. 

More realistic is to consider who would want to come to a club in such a mess as ours.

Anybody that comes will rightly see the job as a big risk that could trash their managerial career.

Therefore they will want top dollar a 3-4 year contract and a guarantee of funds throughout the contract. With a free hand to do what they want with a take it or leave it attitude.

Will be a case. Will sort out the mess but these are my terms. Won't be a matter of FFC interviewing a potential manager but them interviewing the club.

1 hour ago, Fawkirk Wull said:

Cannot believe some of the names being banded about , more has beens & never will be's. Our BOD have a very tough task & hopefully  for once get it 100% right. Hopefully with Rawlins track record they might uncover a wee gem within their circle of associates, who knows. 

Give the Job to Sam McGivern with Crunchie as assistant . He talks more sense as commentator than the management or sporting director have all year ! 

7 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Under the circumstances, I thought his interview was okay.

Because of injuries and suspension he had virtually nothing to work with.

For the first time in months, despite being by far the poorer side, I actually quite enjoyed the game.

I have, barring a miracle, given up on promotion this year and am just wanting to see those very poor players give it their best shot.

All planning should now be for another season in this division.

I liked the interview at 3am this morning mind you...

Holt is on a hiding to nothing, yesterday's team with Leitch, Fotheringham, Morrison and Alston being the creative force. I could be very critical in saying all four ain't good enough but one has history performances in the bank, one is 17 and may progress, one will drop down the levels and the other isn't as good as some think.

It's not even a case of if you could have one of the injured players back would make that much a difference tbh. I said pre these split games that draws in everyone of them would feel like a victory, the Peterhead performance was one if not the worst ever performance I've seen and has broken me.

Did I hear correctly that our game on Thursday is on BBC Scotland ?

9 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

QP have lost four players to non-tackle injuries since we started playing at the Falkirk Stadium. Have you noticed a similarly high level of injuries when playing there?

I'm not one normally to shit on plastic pitches, but our one is completely done and looks awful this season. These things have a lifespan and I think they can cause harm if it goes past that. Does anyone know if we are due to relay it?

I liked the interview at 3am this morning mind you...
Holt is on a hiding to nothing, yesterday's team with Leitch, Fotheringham, Morrison and Alston being the creative force. I could be very critical in saying all four ain't good enough but one has history performances in the bank, one is 17 and may progress, one will drop down the levels and the other isn't as good as some think.
It's not even a case of if you could have one of the injured players back would make that much a difference tbh. I said pre these split games that draws in everyone of them would feel like a victory, the Peterhead performance was one if not the worst ever performance I've seen and has broken me.
Did I hear correctly that our game on Thursday is on BBC Scotland ?

TV?

I'm not one normally to shit on plastic pitches, but our one is completely done and looks awful this season. These things have a lifespan and I think they can cause harm if it goes past that. Does anyone know if we are due to relay it?

When it was first laid they said 7 years. This lot seem to want extra. I did hear Rawlins wants grass

58 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Give the Job to Sam McGivern with Crunchie as assistant . He talks more sense as commentator than the management or sporting director have all year ! 

Is that the McGivern that wasn't sure if referees had to show the yellow card any more? I get that he's enthusiastic and a fan's favourite but he keeps going on about how he doesn't watch many (any?) games nowadays and has no idea who the players are. Not sure what he even brings as a commentator.