The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Under the circumstances, I thought his interview was okay.

Because of injuries and suspension he had virtually nothing to work with.

For the first time in months, despite being by far the poorer side, I actually quite enjoyed the game.

I have, barring a miracle, given up on promotion this year and am just wanting to see those very poor players give it their best shot.

All planning should now be for another season in this division.

Pretty much this. Get the new manager in and let him decide who he wants to keep and the positions he needs to strengthen. Then he can identify the players he wants to play his style of football. Anything can happen in the play- offs but we need to get some of our injured players back. 

Right mixture of comments from Holt. Bit overly optimistic at the performance yesterday and then seems overly pessimistic about the injury situation.  He's obviously guarded about criticising the young boys but I'd rather he was a bit more realistic about the performance as a whole without picking out individuals. It's extremely patronising to try and pretend that we were great when quite clearly we weren't. It seems now that drawing at home to cove rangers has become acceptable which is something I never thought I'd see.

10 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Pretty much this. Get the new manager in and let him decide who he wants to keep and the positions he needs to strengthen. Then he can identify the players he wants to play his style of football. Anything can happen in the play- offs but we need to get some of our injured players back. 

He won't be identifying any players that's Holt's job. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He seems to fall out with folk very easily and go in the huff a lot.  Knocked back Dundee then changed his mind and then made a complete arse of it there.  They then replaced him with their very own Pressley in mcpake who finished the relegation job McCann started. They have them made the same mistake we made by keeping mcpake on after he took them down.  Mccanns record at Inverness is pretty unremarkable. 5 wins , 5 draws and 3 defeats.which has resulted in them missing out on the playoffs which is poor for a side that was runners up the year before.  Doesn't really do much for me.

Not correct. McPake took over after Dundee were relegated. When McCann was binned Jim McIntyre was appointed and it was he who finished the job. As for McCann, he was a disaster as a manager. He did make three good signings; Glen Kamara, Jack Hendry and Scott Allan (on loan). However that good work was negated by signing a shit load of complete jobbers from teams in the 6th tier of English or foreign leagues, most of whom faded back into obscurity when they left. I remember when he signed Soffian Moussa, he predicted that he would become a legend at the club. This was a player who had dotted around the nether leagues in Europe missing goals and it was no surprise that his career at Dens saw him continue that trend. He was laughably bad. But McCann's main fault was his intransigence, his rigid adherence to the way he thought that the game should be played irrespective of whether he had the players to do it. At Dens this meant a lot of sideways passing and pedestrian play that gave the opposition every opportunity to get behind the ball. It was turgid, deadly dull, boring and completely ineffective. He may have improved, he may now be willing to take advice or adapt his tactics but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Neil McCann is the angriest man in football, stubborn to a fault and signed a whole host of shite which negated the truly 'above our standard' signings he made in Kamara, Caulker, Allan & Hendry.

He paid around £100k for Jack Hamilton to be our goalkeeper. He fell out with half the team (He wasn't in the wrong for most of these fall outs tbf, but it highlights his lack of man management skills.)

Jim McIntyre was 100x worse than McCann of that there can be no doubt.

If you want a man that can talk your club up, fight for the club, instil a style and swagger and give everything for the club and come across as a suave fucker who can take the piss out of Tommy Wright as seen here:

Dundee troll St Johnstone gaffer Tommy Wright over Neil McCann spat after  their 2-1 victory over Saints

Then he's absolutely your man.

If you're wanting a stable manager to make steady progress, then he's absolutely not your man.

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Baker said:

Not correct. McPake took over after Dundee were relegated. When McCann was binned Jim McIntyre was appointed and it was he who finished the job. As for McCann, he was a disaster as a manager. He did make three good signings; Glen Kamara, Jack Hendry and Scott Allan (on loan). However that good work was negated by signing a shit load of complete jobbers from teams in the 6th tier of English or foreign leagues, most of whom faded back into obscurity when they left. I remember when he signed Soffian Moussa, he predicted that he would become a legend at the club. This was a player who had dotted around the nether leagues in Europe missing goals and it was no surprise that his career at Dens saw him continue that trend. He was laughably bad. But McCann's main fault was his intransigence, his rigid adherence to the way he thought that the game should be played irrespective of whether he had the players to do it. At Dens this meant a lot of sideways passing and pedestrian play that gave the opposition every opportunity to get behind the ball. It was turgid, deadly dull, boring and completely ineffective. He may have improved, he may now be willing to take advice or adapt his tactics but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Ah, a graduate of the John Hughes tactical school.

48 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Neil McCann is the angriest man in football, stubborn to a fault and signed a whole host of shite which negated the truly 'above our standard' signings he made in Kamara, Caulker, Allan & Hendry.

He paid around £100k for Jack Hamilton to be our goalkeeper. He fell out with half the team (He wasn't in the wrong for most of these fall outs tbf, but it highlights his lack of man management skills.)

Jim McIntyre was 100x worse than McCann of that there can be no doubt.

If you want a man that can talk your club up, fight for the club, instil a style and swagger and give everything for the club and come across as a suave fucker who can take the piss out of Tommy Wright as seen here:

Then he's absolutely your man.

If you're wanting a stable manager to make steady progress, then he's absolutely not your man.

To me he as always came across as someone who thinks he is better than he actually is, by a huge margin.

1 hour ago, Hughsie said:

This is the part that worries me the most.

I truly think we are fucked.

Who knows. He picked up some decent players when he was our manager and probably had the best percentage of successful v failure on the signings front than anyone post premier League.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Baker said:

My apologies I forgot all about McIntyre and I'm sure most Dundee fans are trying to do the same.  Dundee seem to be as successful as us when it comes to managerial appointments. McCann, McIntyre, mcpake. All murder.

4 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Surely Holt would find a player and recommend them to the manager but it will be the manager who has the final say? 

Oh yes I'd expect Holt to identify a list of players and then discuss it with the manager who will have final say on which they sign. However, the manager won't be sourcing players.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, CC52 FFC said:

Would be interesting to see who we all want (realistically as possible) and find out some of the names. One thing for sure if we will not all agree on the new boss. 

To be honest we've had that many dreadful managers since Hughes I've given up and will just be pleasantly surprised when we finally appoint a decent one. 

Seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a DOFs job actually entails. My take on it is Holt should be setting up a system, or couple of systems, which will be used throughout the club irrespective of the head coach. Sounds like he's already started that to a degree talking about playing with a 6, 8 and 10.

Next job is to identify which players currently at the club have the ability to fit into those systems and get them signed up. Now scouting begins on the remaining positions. At our level I'd imagine their would be a shortlist of somewhere between 5-10 players for each position. All this should be done with likely minimal involvement from a head coach.

This shortlist will be presented to the coaching team and together they will set an order of preference in line with the budget, before Holt it will have Lex Miller involved with this so no wonder our signings have been a shambles.

Therefore whoever comes in as our head coach will likely be someone who is regarded highly as a 'coach' rather than a 'manager' and also has the experience of coaching the same system Holt wants to implement.

Under the circumstances, I thought his interview was okay.
Because of injuries and suspension he had virtually nothing to work with.
For the first time in months, despite being by far the poorer side, I actually quite enjoyed the game.
I have, barring a miracle, given up on promotion this year and am just wanting to see those very poor players give it their best shot.
All planning should now be for another season in this division.

Aye of course it was especially the “I megged two players” bit , what a guy