The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Yep, it was universally agreed by fans of all clubs that he's an utter weapon.

I'd like to concur with this. The way he went behind Jim Duffy's back and screwed him over for more money at United showed him up for the slimeball he is. Duffy still considers him untrustworthy to this day.

Absolute balloon of a guy. Surprised that fans of any club hold him in any sort of esteem.

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

That's just a mental comment. 

We've got so many injuries because we have 5+ players over 30 playing every 3/4 days after a 2/3 month lay off and young players who just genuinely don't look fit.

You would think Sneddon & Laverty would have been the fittest in the squad. What an opportunity to get themselves an early first team start.

Think both will be gone at the end of the season. If they were not quoted for a game what was the point of signing them.

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Jesus wept I doubt anyone took major offence to that. What the hell is the world coming to.🙈🙈🙈

Yep the world is a farcical place: can’t say boo to a ghost these days 😩

4 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Would like to see Rawlins work his contacts and consider a coach from US MLS, rather than the usual list of familiar faces like McIntyre and the lunatic fringe suggestions like Duncan 'Disorderly' Ferguson.  A few things you could guarantee from a coach from the US League is the team would be fit and properly organised, try to play decent football, and utter dross like Akeel Francis would be trebuchet'd out the door pronto.     

Wondered about this line of though and searched for statements by Phil Rawlins about the Falkirk situation and couldn’t find anything. So is he scunnered with the whole shebang and writing off the investment, or is he perhaps quietly strengthening his position until he can grab the reins? Has he said anything, on or off the record?

As for his contacts, those mostly in the U.S. would be less useful for Falkirk in recruiting players, and would an MLS coach move to Scotland to coach? The MLS salary range is $30,000 to $100,000 (call it £22,000 to £73,000), and you’d likely need to bump that nicely to interest any successful coach (top end of that scale), and even an expat like Martin Rennie (coaching at the USL level, below MLS) would need a pretty good incentive as he has a established business in the U.S. that adds to his income.

The best case for Falkirk is, sadly, that this season trundles towards its inevitable cataclysmic crash, and the BoD finally relinquishes control to a competent individual or group (Rawlins is probably the ideally situated one) who decides to pump some money into the club to revive its operations, hire a competent management team and rebuild a team currently comprised of odds and sods. The other good news is Rawlins was always big on “Community” involvement and investment (both in a club and by a club). Perhaps the development squad with Ian Fergus is one of his first real moves? Is it also possible that Fergus will be in frame for the next four games, assisting Holt?

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We've tried the experienced manager whose been sacked elsewhere and we've tried the complete rookie with zero experience. Neither has went well.  I still think we need a young manager on the way up who has cut his teeth elsewhere and is looking for a next step. Someone briming with confidence .

Its where we did well. Totten, Jeffries were standouts as young managers on the up and both of them produced teams that were good to watch and got the fans behind them. Both starting out and did well at their first managers gig Alloa & Berwick gave them the experience of what to do and not do.

So using that criteria. Who in Scotland in the lower divisions in their first managers jobs, doing well with little and could see Falkirk being their next step ?

Just cannot think of any - So is there an assistant manager that might fancy the gig. Would not suprise me if we go there for the poor guy to sort out the mess.

1 minute ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Its where we did well. Totten, Jeffries were standouts as young managers on the up and both of them produced teams that were good to watch and got the fans behind them. Both starting out and did well at their first managers gig Alloa & Berwick gave them the experience of what to do and not do.

So using that criteria. Who in Scotland in the lower divisions in their first managers jobs, doing well with little and could see Falkirk being their next step ?

Just cannot think of any - So is there an assistant manager that might fancy the gig. Would not suprise me if we go there for the poor guy to sort out the mess.

Darren Young? Stewart Petrie? Gavin Price? Stephen Farrell?

Wouldn't surprise me to see you lot go for Duffy tbh. Old head, has a reasonable reputation with the club, 'unfinished business'.

24 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see you lot go for Duffy tbh. Old head, has a reasonable reputation with the club, 'unfinished business'.

Duffy is done. He'll probably get another gig because his media pals will talk him up but the job he's done for us this season and to an extent last season is nothing short of horrendous. There will be riots if he's not moved on in the summer. 

37 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He bottled it the last time with us . Did a runner when things turned pear shaped in his second season. He's a bit of a footballing dinosaur these days anyway so no can't see it.  Best thing he ever did for us was give us the ludicrous sum of 100k for David Elliot.😂😂

Edited by Shadwell Dog

40 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Wondered about this line of though and searched for statements by Phil Rawlins about the Falkirk situation and couldn’t find anything. So is he scunnered with the whole shebang and writing off the investment, or is he perhaps quietly strengthening his position until he can grab the reins? Has he said anything, on or off the record?

As for his contacts, those mostly in the U.S. would be less useful for Falkirk in recruiting players, and would an MLS coach move to Scotland to coach? The MLS salary range is $30,000 to $100,000 (call it £22,000 to £73,000), and you’d likely need to bump that nicely to interest any successful coach (top end of that scale), and even an expat like Martin Rennie (coaching at the USL level, below MLS) would need a pretty good incentive as he has a established business in the U.S. that adds to his income.

The best case for Falkirk is, sadly, that this season trundles towards its inevitable cataclysmic crash, and the BoD finally relinquishes control to a competent individual or group (Rawlins is probably the ideally situated one) who decides to pump some money into the club to revive its operations, hire a competent management team and rebuild a team currently comprised of odds and sods. The other good news is Rawlins was always big on “Community” involvement and investment (both in a club and by a club). Perhaps the development squad with Ian Fergus is one of his first real moves? Is it also possible that Fergus will be in frame for the next four games, assisting Holt?

I don't see it happening, but I would be surprised if we were unable to pay the level of salary you mentioned in the event that the Rawlins identified a coach from the MLS that was willing to come to us.

M and M would have been on more than £73,000 between them.

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I don't see it happening, but I would be surprised if we were unable to pay the level of salary you mentioned in the event that the Rawlins identified a coach from the MLS that was willing to come to us.

M and M would have been on more than £73,000 between them.

40k each after their pay rise was what I heard which if true is mental for guys with no experience at all. To me in league one we should be paying half that at most.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

25 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

40k each after their pay rise was what I heard which if true is mental for guys with no experience at all. To me in league one we should be paying half that at most.

Full time manager on £20k a year??  If that is your expectations then I really don't think you could complain if your next appointment is even worse than your previous one.

47 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Thanks for your thoughts Tx; I have no ITK as far as the club is concerned, so am going on the basis of Rawlins being an astute businessman (and knew exactly where we were when he got involved -  ie League One with a shit squad and rookie coaches) who saw the short term scenario as the car crash that it is, and had been working on the medium-to-longer term strategy... Only now,  there's a rather more immediate strategy to sort out.  

Was thinking of contacts on the intelligent, professional, organised, innovative coaching side, given the resources and infrastructure in the US and given that Holt is DoF and player targets more his remit. Apparently. Would such a coach move to Scotland/Falkirk? Totally depends - age/ex-pat/family ties/combined Miller/McCracken salary/relationship with Rawlins? Again, I'm not ITK, so have no idea who might be coaching around Orlando or elsewhere in The US that Rawlins is connected with;  but it struck me as an avenue worth considering rather than rounding up the usual, uninspiring or past-it suspects. 

Your third para is exactly what should happen in June - fresh investment, community engagement, with a completely new Board make up and structure.  Unfortunately given that our two main obstacles on the BoD are utterly unable to admit to culpability, there's not a chance it will happen.  So here we'll stay, for a while yet.   

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

Full time manager on £20k a year??  If that is your expectations then I really don't think you could complain if your next appointment is even worse than your previous one.

Think you've mis-read the figures, old chap. 40k each, not between them, was being mooted. I'd have a go for £80k. 

3 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

It doesn't make any sense to say things like  "we need an experienced manager this time" or "we tried a rookie before and look what happened"

It doesn't matter whether the new manager is a rookie or has been around the block - there are countless examples of successes and failures of each. 

Whats important is the next one is a success - regardless of their background.  

The hard part though is trying to work out who would be the best/ most successful. 

Take Hartley for example, a relative success everywhere he’s been bar us. 

Success is not guaranteed with experienced managers or inexperienced managers. 

43 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Think you've mis-read the figures, old chap. 40k each, not between them, was being mooted. I'd have a go for £80k. 

The post was £40k each with a comment that League 1 should be paying half this.  £20k surely.  I assume that if you went for a new manager that an assistant would also be needed.