The Falkirk FC Thread

Management team proved yet again how inept they are. Formation and team selection all wrong. The Leitch love in is beyond a joke now. One up front at home to part time bottom 3 club is beyond comprehension. We may yet stumble over the line to promotion but if goes to 22 games the last 4 gives me the fear. M n M should be binned irrespective of this seasons outcome. Cant see the bod seeing it that way unfortunately. 

I have zero confidence in this management team winning the league over 22 games, we will 100% bottle it. IMO last night's performance wasn't much different than the 2 previous league games since the restart, all 3 have been utter garbage. My main problems with the team is that I just don't know what we are trying to do during a match, there dosent seem to be any tactical game plan or style to us at all, its unbelievably boring to watch and we have an array of aging has beens that think they are better than they actually are. The full back situation is now getting ridiculous, we have two 34 year olds who are well and truly past it and struggle to even get up the pitch to support at all. IMO our best bet is to get shot now and let Holt in until the end of the season and then recruit a new manager in the summer, although i think we will be stuck with this pair until the summer at least.

20 minutes ago, Smikka Smikka Smoodoo said:

The lack of crowds is going to let those two off the hook because the BoD won't have a clue how angry the fans are. 

Yup. I'd be very surprised if the BOD pay attention to places like this. Far more likely they monitor the various Facebook groups which are 90% full of "ah well always next week COYB expect the unexpected" types who don't care about the result as long as "Big Sexy" and "Cracks" are in charge.

Christ we put 18 goals past forfar and dumbarton at home last season without reply and yet we've not managed 3 points against them at home this year. It's the if we were humping teams every week you'd say well that's just to be expected pish that irks me.  With some of the blasé attitudes on show I'm beginning to think we get what we deserve at Falkirk. Too many folk happy to put up with complete mediocrity simply because the two boys in charge used to play for the club.  Happy to watch complete non entertaining football as long as we scrape the odd win or draw here and there.  I've seen every division win since we were last down in these depths and this is by far and away the worst and most boring side that will ever win anything at Falkirk since I started watching then if we sneak over the line come may.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

11 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Far too many people in here writing off one striker formations as negative for my liking.

Keena can't play as the lone striker as he doesn't have a big enough physical presence especially when teams are sitting in. You need to play your best players therefore Keena needs to be on the park so get someone upfront with him so he gets the space to make his chances. One upfront can be attacking we played some of our best football with Farid or Lyle Taylor up top on their own but they need to be a physical presence for that to work in this league. Keena seems to be a poacher but he's not going to hold up the play or dominate in the air.

Edited by FFC 1876

I'm getting to the stage where I won't watch many more of the games this season because it's worse than torture to endure, I'll just hope we win. There's no build up play, no cohesion and in some games a complete lack of chances created which is disgraceful considering the league we're in. It's depressing to hear the post-match interviews as well, they just confirm how badly out their depth M&M are. 

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's the if we were humping teams every week you'd say well that's just to be expected pish that irks me.  With some of the blasé attitudes on show I'm beginning to think we get what we deserve at Falkirk. Too many folk happy to put up with complete mediocrity simply because the two boys in charge used to play for the club.  Happy to watch complete non entertaining football as long as we scrape the odd win or draw here and there.  I've seen every division win since we were last down in these depths and this is by far and away the worst and most boring side that will ever win anything at Falkirk since I started watching then if we sneak over the line come may.

I’ve been going since 1978 and I’ve been fortunate to see some very good teams and also had to endure some really poor teams however I will agree with you that the last two teams (McKinnon and M&M) have been the most boring I’ve ever watched in a Falkirk jersey.

Damage limitation vs part time teams is a disgrace and I don’t enjoy watching this team one bit.

There's nothing inherently wrong with playing with one striker if the rest of your players / formation are designed around supporting him and getting as many chances to that striker (and attacking midfielders) as possible.

We don't.

Reminds me of when we had Jason Lee, a 6'2" brute of a target man, and insisted on giving him the ball to his feet with his back to goal 30 yards out with no-one supporting him.

Just now, gav-ffc said:

More strikers = more goals imo.

Your tweet the other day about how that Falkirk team of 2015/16 would scoosh this division (and probably the Championship) was spot on.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

There's nothing inherently wrong with playing with one striker if the rest of your players / formation are designed around supporting him and getting as many chances to that striker (and attacking midfielders) as possible.

We don't.

This is it for me. A 433 works best when your wingers play narrow in support of the striker and the fullbacks get high to provide the width. That's never going to happen when you're asking FBs with a combined age of 67 to play 2 games a week. Either use the squad or alter the tactics. 

It might have salvaged a point last night but playing 2 strikers isn't a magic bullet either. We've turned in plenty dross performances with a 442. 

It's far too easy to shut us down as an attacking force.  Basically overload our right side where Morrison is and then you only have to worry about telfer after that. Noone else creates anything and in leitchs case he's not worth worrying about at all. If your playing Keena up top on his own the wide players and telfer have to play off him but they were stuck out wide all game and never got near him.  To have less possession than them for a large part of the game was embarrassing. Only when we flung on an attacking threat did we start to get hold of the ball more.  Brutal stuff.

We brought in Sean Kelly to play left back, so Dixon could move into centre back to lessen the impact of his weaker aspects and the combo of Hall/Durnan got spilt up to lessen the impact if both's weaker aspects.

We had Deveney on loan as cover for Kelly.

Kelly gets injured, so Dixon goes back to left back and its Durnan and Hall in the middle.

Mercer gets injured, so we bring in Neilson on loan as cover for right back - we play Gary Miller at right back.

Connelly gets injured, so we bring in Fotheringham on loan as cover for left wing - we play Robbie Leith at left wing.

WHATS THE F*CKING POINT IN LOAN SIGNINGS?!

Durnan is now suspended and we have McLelland on loan as cover - whats the betting we see Mercer back in at RB, with Gary Miller at CB.

McCrackens latest interview - like Millers before that - is delusional with regards our performances recently and devoid of any responsibility. Its embarrassing.

11 minutes ago, oot_the_loop said:

We brought in Sean Kelly to play left back, so Dixon could move into centre back to lessen the impact of his weaker aspects and the combo of Hall/Durnan got spilt up to lessen the impact if both's weaker aspects.

Kelly gets injured, so Dixon goes back to left back and its Durnan and Hall in the middle.

Mercer gets injured, so we bring in Neilson on loan as cover for right back - we play Gary Miller at right back.

Connelly gets injured, so we bring in Fotheringham on loan as cover for left wing - we play Robbie Leith at left wing.

Durnan is now suspended and we have McLelland on loan as cover - whats the betting we see Mercer back in at RB, with Gary Miller at CB.

McCrackens latest interview - like Millers before that - is delusional with regards our performances recently and devoid of any responsibility. Its embarrassing.

Spot on. We must be the only side who brings players in on loan and fills the bench with them. You look at other sides and they bring players in to play in the side not to sit and watch. The boy neilson has been good enough to start in the premiership for united this season but can't get past Gary miller or Durnan/hall in our side.  You've got to wonder why any clubs would loan us young players in the future when we hardly give them a game.

2 minutes ago, oot_the_loop said:

Whilst most clubs sign players with a view to improvement of their first-team squad, our "strategy", such as it is, and whether by accident or design, appears to be all about getting sufficient bodies in, to have enough "cover". Sign some 17 or 18 year-old kids on loan from the Premier League, with no real intention of actually giving them a proper opportunity, or how they would fit in to the side, but they're good to have in reserve in case of emergency. They won't rock the boat, they'll only be here for a few months and it means the management team don't have to drop and upset any of their underperforming, over-the-hill pals. Any players brought in this month should have been with a view to going straight into the first team and playing an integral part in getting us over the line and gone from this league. We signed three, only one of them has started a league match to date and none of them started last night. Someone like Neilson I would much rather be using as a wide attacking option against a piss-poor Dumbarton than in a frankly irrelevant game against Celtic we are destined to lose anyway, probably by a few and who cares really.

Our recruitment is by-and-large a shambles,  by a long way the worst in Scotland since probably Houston's final summer (Loy, Harris etc) and a primary reason for where we find ourselves. Holt is an unknown really as far as this DOF role is concerned, he's no track record to go on, but I presume recruitment has to be a key part of his remit. I've no hope that the current pair are going anywhere soon, even if we don't go up they'll still be in charge if the likes of Deans have anything to do with it, but they should not be within a hundred miles of any signing or re-signing decisions from here. 

36 minutes ago, oot_the_loop said:

It also makes you question the relationship with the DoF and the managers.

Holt, I’d assume, has delivered the 3 latest loan signings and so far it looks like the managers think the shite we had previously is better.

As BPM would say - it’s a Buggers Muddle !!