Jump to content
Kris.

The Falkirk FC Thread

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Tom Lang signs a pre-contract with Raith. Could've had him in the summer instead of extending Durnan or Hall who are both absolutely murder.

Is that the lad from Clyde ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Tom Lang signs a pre-contract with Raith. Could've had him in the summer instead of extending Durnan or Hall who are both absolutely murder.

The right footed Peter Grant, missed a trick there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are so many people getting their knickers in a twist about other players signing for other teams? 

If we are passing up on some genuine talent then I'd maybe be worried but nothing here strikes me as an opportunity missed. 

As poor as we have been so far, we're still top and I genuinely don't see the need to sign more baggage when things are still so up in the air. Let this squad get us through to the end of the season and see what happens. They really should be good enough if managed properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that Casper the friendly ghost would be an upgrade on Mark Durnan, you've missed a trick there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<looks at table>

We have the best goal difference and the second lowest Goals Against in the league despite having the worst defenders in the Whole Wide World apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He’d have slated us for signing Hamilton if we did - you know that so don’t ask.

I didn't slate us for signing Francis. I'm willing to give players a chance but if they turn out pish then I've every right to give them pelters. We had Francis on trial yet still signed him.  It's all about the proper scouting of players which we appear to be pretty awful at compared to most sides. How we keep getting things so badly wrong whilst other clubs of smaller stature do far better is something that needs fixed straight away.  Airdrie East Fife, Raith last season etc have all been far better at getting players in than us despite our far bigger budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Fair play. I've got to congratulate you on your fantastic foresight. M&M should have known he was going to score those goals for EF too and, as you say, there was obviously 'no reason' that we couldn't have signed him instead. Maybe the 15 goals in 71 appearances before he arrived in Methil put them off, who knows?

He was 17 when he started playing those 71 games. It's obvious that he has matured and his game has come on leaps and bounds since then. The fact that miller didn't have the inside info on him is extremely disappointing but then hardly surprising after the hopeless da vita signing of last season.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Something tells me Hall or Durnan won't be moving up a league for their next move.

Buchanan managed it so nothing would surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was 17 when he started playing those 71 games. It's obvious that he has matured and his game has come on leaps and bounds since then. The fact that miller didn't have the inside info on him is extremely disappointing but then hardly surprising after the hopeless da vita signing of last season.

Aye, and since turning 19 he'd managed 5 in 37 before arriving in Fife. So, he's obviously just 'matured with his game coming on leaps and bounds' since last October!

I'm not saying that Hamilton's a bad player, far from it, and I'd have been happy to see him at Falkirk in this window, based on what he's done at EF. To suggest though that we should have signed him at the start of this season based on what he's done since is crazy and, as usual, with the benefit of plenty of hindsight. 

You also claim as factual that Miller had no inside info on him. I'd be interested to know on what that claim's based on? For all you know we made an offer to get him here which the player, or Livingston turned down as they would prefer that he played at a higher level. I'm just speculating of course, certainly not basing it on fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why are so many people getting their knickers in a twist about other players signing for other teams? 
If we are passing up on some genuine talent then I'd maybe be worried but nothing here strikes me as an opportunity missed. 
As poor as we have been so far, we're still top and I genuinely don't see the need to sign more baggage when things are still so up in the air. Let this squad get us through to the end of the season and see what happens. They really should be good enough if managed properly.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, and since turning 19 he'd managed 5 in 37 before arriving in Fife. So, he's obviously just 'matured with his game coming on leaps and bounds' since last October!

I'm not saying that Hamilton's a bad player, far from it, and I'd have been happy to see him at Falkirk in this window, based on what he's done at EF. To suggest though that we should have signed him at the start of this season based on what he's done since is crazy and, as usual, with the benefit of plenty of hindsight. 

You also claim as factual that Miller had no inside info on him. I'd be interested to know on what that claim's based on? For all you know we made an offer to get him here which the player, or Livingston turned down as they would prefer that he played at a higher level. I'm just speculating of course, certainly not basing it on fact.

So you see East Fife as a higher level than us then?  Hindsight has feck all to do with it. The best managers watch and scout players constantly and pick these guys up before the fact and not after it.  Hughes to give him his due was very good at that. If we'd based stokes on his record previous to coming to us he'd have never been in the picture but instead Hughes watched him and got the inside track on him from the right people.Miller should've known all about Hamilton . Livingston obviously rate him highly as they could easily have punted him a while back but have kept him on and have now sent him on to Arbroath for.further experience. It may be the case that it's a higher level or it may simply be the fact that Arbroath after their 500k windfall can pay more of his wages than the likes of East Fife could  It's not a one off this either is it? Our forays into the loan  market are  littered with failures especially when it comes to youngsters from bigger clubs. We seem to have a great habit of signing duds whilst the Gullans, Hastie's  and Hamilton's go to clubs with far smaller standing than us and do very well. It's amazing how part time sides continually put our recruitment strategy to shame despite having nowhere near our resources.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Is our recruitment process at fault, or our inability to improve/motivate players once they sign?

I'm not sure many of our players really go on to much bigger and better things when they leave us mind you.  Majority of them go down the way which says to me it's us recruiting poor players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So you see East Fife as a higher level than us then?  Hindsight has feck all to do with it. The best managers watch and scout players constantly and pick these guys up before the fact and not after it.  Hughes to give him his due was very good at that. If we'd based stokes on his record previous to coming to us he'd have never been in the picture but instead Hughes watched him and got the inside track on him from the right people.Miller should've known all about Hamilton . Livingston obviously rate him highly as they could easily have punted him a while back but have kept him on and have now sent him on to Arbroath for.further experience. It may be the case that it's a higher level or it may simply be the fact that Arbroath after their 500k windfall can pay more of his wages than the likes of East Fife could  It's not a one off this either is it? Our forays into the loan  market are  littered with failures especially when it comes to youngsters from bigger clubs. We seem to have a great habit of signing duds whilst the Gullans, Hastie's  and Hamilton's go to clubs with far smaller standing than us and do very well. It's amazing how part time sides continually put our recruitment strategy to shame despite having nowhere near our resources.

Stop talking pish Shadwell. I was talking about Arbroath and you know it.

Hindsight has everything to do with it. He's only really had a good scoring record since arriving at EF, how the f**k can you be suggesting that we should have signed him based on his record before that?

Ok, so we should only sign players that we know are going to be successful even when they haven't shown much so far? The signing of any player is a gamble, absolutely no-one can guarantee a positive outcome but that seems to be what you're looking for.

I'm sure he did know all about him. How do you know we didn't try to sign him? For all we know, maybe they don't get on, maybe he hates Falkirk, maybe he doesn't like the negativity that comes from some of our fans, maybe Martindale wouldn't let him come? 

You're speculating about the wages thing, but that's fine, you may well be right. It may well be the case that they could pay more than us at the moment too.

You can come back with the last word Shadwell as I think that your heart is actually in the right place unlike some posters who seem to be jumping on the negativity bandwagon at the moment. This place is so unbelievably negative nowadays that I can't be arsed with it. f**k knows what it would have been like if we'd been bottom of the league, not top!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

<looks at table>

We have the best goal difference and the second lowest Goals Against in the league despite having the worst defenders in the Whole Wide World apparently. 

We’re up against The Fox and Hound, The Black Bull and The Horseshoe Bar, Lee 🥴

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You can come back with the last word Shadwell as I think that your heart is actually in the right place unlike some posters who seem to be jumping on the negativity bandwagon at the moment. This place is so unbelievably negative nowadays that I can't be arsed with it. f**k knows what it would have been like if we'd been bottom of the league, not top!

I’d hazard a guess that becoming a Club in Scotland’s third tier is case in point with regards to the negativity.🤦🏼‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Something tells me Hall or Durnan won't be moving up a league for their next move.

Tbh I don't think many  of our current squad are good enough to. But M&M will no doubt rectify that by giving out new deals like confetti if we manage to limp over the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSG GTF! said:

I’d hazard a guess that becoming a Club in Scotland’s third tier is case in point with regards to the negativity.🤦🏼‍♂️

We are where we are. I've seen us a lot worse in the 50 odd years that I've supported my club, might yet see worse but I'm sure I'll see better in time. I'd hazard a guess that you've only been watching us in the relatively recent past and have been spoiled by cup finals and play offs.

If you let the constant negativity get to you it'll spiral and you'll end up as a very sad lad. We've got to look forward with confidence or we could end up as an Airdrie or Clyde and none of us want that now do we...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...