The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Peter LaFleur
2 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

He missed an absolute sitter down in Stranraer last Feb aswell, would have put us 2-1 up. Quite happy to see the back of him, hopefully we have a energetic young center midfielder lined up to come in, the position I feel is in most need of attention.

Could Neilson possibly fill that role? His regain of possession then through ball for Sammon was excellent against Arbroath and I believe he used to play there. 
Do we think there could be anymore loans incoming?

5 minutes ago, Peter LaFleur said:

Could Neilson possibly fill that role? His regain of possession then through ball for Sammon was excellent against Arbroath and I believe he used to play there. 
Do we think there could be anymore loans incoming?

I would prefer if M&M just played him right back instead of a 34 year old Gary Miller who can hardly get up the park but i suppose it's an option, he really did do well for that goal v Arbroath.

Edited by falkirkzombie

Guest Peter LaFleur
9 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

I would prefer if M&M just played him right back instead of a 34 year old Gary Miller who can hardly get up the park but i suppose it's an option, he really did do well for that goal v Arbroath.

Absolutely. I think Morrison suffers because of this with no real support behind him. The opposition can afford to double up on him knowing Miller won’t be bombing up and down as well.

Was thinking this earlier - as much as it's a riddy that we are down here, the quality in the championship is just as bad. Assuming we're going back up we should be aiming for top 3 minimum.

Reading this, I can’t work out if our squad (currently 6 points clear at the top of the table, fwiw), is really shite (as most posters appear to have concluded), or whether we are pushing below our weight and they are actually good enough to push for promotion to the Premiership next season.
Somebody help? [emoji16]

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Reading this, I can’t work out if our squad (currently 6 points clear at the top of the table, fwiw), is really shite (as most posters appear to have concluded), or whether we are pushing below our weight and they are actually good enough to push for promotion to the Premiership next season.
Somebody help? emoji16.png

We are still incredibly shite however so many teams above us are also incredibly shite (see Arbroath last week). 

31 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Disruptive dressing room knobhead, good riddance and no tears lost, brought absolutely zero to us.

I mind seeing some of his Instagram posts and finding him a bit “flat earther”.

It's went quiet on the transfer front so i'm assuming we're done but if we were to use the remaining two I'd want an energetic centre midfielder and another winger given Connolly's still out injured. I'd settle for a back up goalkeeper and either one of the winger or centre mid. Fotherinham's started well but at 17 he's going to have bad games so it would be good to have a winger to be able to bring on in his place instead of having to put Francis/Leitch out there.

With Todd gone we have 9 midfielders left in the squad but really 8 as Laverty won't get a sniff of first team action. Connolly's out injured with his hamstring so god knows how long he'll be out and Miller & Gomis can't hack 90mins 3 times a week so we could really do with using our last two loans.

Morgaro Gomis

Gary Miller

Charlie Telfer

Aidan Connolly

Robbie Leitch

Aiden Laverty 

Callumn Morrison

Blair Alston

Kai Fotheringham

Edited by FFC 1876

Todd was a decent player but spent the majority of his time here on the treatment table. Did fine when he was in the team, but never managed to hold down a regular place. Real similarities between him and McKee and McShane. Felt sorry for him this season where M&M came up with the hilarious idea to play him at LM. Will probably do fine at Ayr 

He was stinking - just like most who have played for us since Houston

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

We are still incredibly shite however so many teams above us are also incredibly shite (see Arbroath last week). 

If ! FFC go up we have to set our sights on a squad that can at least challenge for promotion. Securing our place in the division ain't good enough.

Can only think of 3 - 4 players that are on our books  that are good enough to do that.

Think most of the higher league clubs will have a shake out of players and reduce squad size. M&M should be on the ball with who they want with none of this rush of signings 3 weeks before the season starts.

Do M&M know the style of game they want to play ? sometimes I wonder.

33 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

If ! FFC go up we have to set our sights on a squad that can at least challenge for promotion. Securing our place in the division ain't good enough.

Can only think of 3 - 4 players that are on our books  that are good enough to do that.

Think most of the higher league clubs will have a shake out of players and reduce squad size. M&M should be on the ball with who they want with none of this rush of signings 3 weeks before the season starts.

Do M&M know the style of game they want to play ? sometimes I wonder.

This season's championship has been dug shite, 7 clubs been in positions for promotion play offs. On paper QoS have assembled a team for relegation yet have been one of the form teams over a recent period and Hearts who are well clear are woeful. 

I can't see mass changes if we go up other than bin the dead wood. 

Sammon, Francis, Kelly, Laverty and probably Connolly. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both Hall and Durnan to survive. 

On our style, we do pass the ball well at times just not that killer pass and the current 4-5-1 / 4-3-3/ 4-1-4-1 is far too rigid defensive to get the 4-3-3. The Arbroath game it seemed looser which surely we should be looking to achieve in the league if this formation continues, sorry but we should've took 4 or 5 on Saturday.

The current formation has shown Keena to have decent work rate but as striker absolute zero. 

23 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Connolly back in the squad for tomorrow 😍

Also interesting that Mcracken never mentioned Mercer when he was asked about injuries in the squad. Does that mean he's also away with Josh Todd or has he just forgotten about him? Would be easy to do right enough.

Just seen Mercer was in the squad against Forfar so no such luck.

Edited by FFC 1876

I can't see Mercer being with us next season tbh, he's out of contract in the summer, he's also worse than Doyle. If there was a remote possibility of getting Neilson on a permanent deal then that's the sort of signing we should be making IF we go up. Not jobbers like Mercer. 

The quality of this season's Championship has looked poor tbh. Even guys you'd expect to do ok like McManus who was a stand-out in our league has struggled. Hearts the best of a bad bunch with the other 9 teams looking pretty evenly matched.

As others have said several of our ex players who were deemed not good enough are plying their trade there without a problem. Raith have gone up and have competed towards the top end absolutely fine, presumably with one of the smaller budgets as well.

If we go up I'd be amazed if the majority of the squad isn't retained. Don't get me wrong, I hope we ship out the diddies like Hall, Mercer, Leitch, Francis and Sammon and replace these players with a bit more quality. Dixon and Gomis would probably just become cover as they'd be 35 and 36. The 4 young guys on loan might end up being worth trying to keep depending on what they contribute between now and the end of the season. The rest will be good enough with a few additions.

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876