The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McKinnon didn't play him much and even when he did he didn't do enough to get another start.

He only got one start, in a match where we were largely dominated so he was starved of service. 

If either Todorov or Laverty had been given the game time that Aaron Jarvis got we may not have gone down. 

35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He just doesn't score enough goals for me. Dont think hes ever hit double figures. Does a job middle to bottom of the championship but that's about it. McKinnon didn't play him much and even when he did he didn't do enough to get another start.

He’s a Lyndon Dykes type of player. Not as good obviously. He’s not going to get you 25 goals a season, but if you give him service he’ll score. His heading is superb.

36 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

He only got one start, in a match where we were largely dominated so he was starved of service. 

If either Todorov or Laverty had been given the game time that Aaron Jarvis got we may not have gone down. 

Laverty can't even get minutes at the moment when we're rolling out a second string side in the cup.

Said it before, but (more fool me) I was convinced based on McKinnons chat that Jarvis absolitely must have something about him. Then just watched him get more game time than the others and offer absolutely nothing as we circled the drain

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Todorov is fine for the Championship. He’s excellent in the air and can finish well.  Whatever clown you had in charge when you were last in that league clearly didn’t know how to utilise him.

Likewise, I thought he had something about him, whereas the others that were being played before him didn't look like they had even slept with a footballer (as my grandfather used to say).

Edited by Sarcastic Bairn

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Not sure about morrison.at wingback. He's the most creative and dangerous player we have . Last thing i want even against a poorer side is him being at all concerned with the defensive side of the game.

He wouldn't be concerned with the defensive side of the game, other than tracking back on a very rare occasion. He would have to stay wide though and he may not have the discipline to do that?

11 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He wouldn't be concerned with the defensive side of the game, other than tracking back on a very rare occasion. He would have to stay wide though and he may not have the discipline to do that?

You want him to play wing back but not be concerned with the defensive side of the game? Where's the logic there? Essentially you want him to play on the wing and not bother about anything other than getting at his man which is what he does when we play 4 at the back and have a right back in behind him.

Why do people seem to think that right backs or right wingers can just play wing back no problem? It is a completely different position. You need to be extremely disciplined, have a very good engine and understand when to attack and when to defend. Anyone contemplating playing Morrison at wing back needs their head checked

Had a header cleared off the line in the first few minutes. Unfortunately we never put another cross in all game

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Lavery yes but todorov not convinced. As I said he's never managed double figures in his career.   Jarvis was utterly honking 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Likewise, I thought he had something about him, whereas the others that were being played before him didn't look like they had even slept with a footballer (as my grandfather used to say).

He was decent when he came on against alloa at their place but that was about it.   Started against Morton and was mince .He's scored 3 goals in his last 20 for ICT. I'm not convinced he was the answer to our problems.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

You want him to play wing back but not be concerned with the defensive side of the game? Where's the logic there? Essentially you want him to play on the wing and not bother about anything other than getting at his man which is what he does when we play 4 at the back and have a right back in behind him.

Yer man from Dumbarton says that they seldom venture over the half way line.

I'm not suggesting that Morrison becomes a wing-back on a permanent basis, indeed, I think he would be pretty poor there. I fully expect Dumbarton to come and sit in which is why we'll need plenty of width. Morrison tends to do his own thing (probably with M&Ms blessing) but we need someone with pace who will hug the touchline to try to open them up. He's probably not the man to do that as he possibly wouldn't follow the game plan though.

3 hours ago, Rocco said:

Why do people seem to think that right backs or right wingers can just play wing back no problem? It is a completely different position. You need to be extremely disciplined, have a very good engine and understand when to attack and when to defend. Anyone contemplating playing Morrison at wing back needs their head checked

See above.

In this league, against teams who will sit in and try to stifle us I feel we can dispense with some defensive duties in certain circumstances. This coming Tuesday being an example.

Playing that system would allow us an extra striker while not losing anyone from the midfield. It won't happen anyway though so it's a moot point.

10 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

TBF on Hartley he absolutely was not pushing to bin the Academy.

I recall an interview with Hartley at the time when he said he was surprised at the decision to close it.

Also recall Lang stating we'd go out of business if we didn't shut it , conveniently ignoring the offer to fund it of course. Wonder how Thistle, Inverness, Ayr etc managed to stay afloat with academies at progressive level where we'd have been  - must just be better run clubs. 

People need to realize who the real villains were/are.

24 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

Looks like Todd is away to join Hopkin

Having come from Dundee he was probably on a half decent wage so good job getting him off the wage bill as he doesn't contribute anything and is always injured. 

I recall an interview with Hartley at the time when he said he was surprised at the decision to close it.
Also recall Lang stating we'd go out of business if we didn't shut it , conveniently ignoring the offer to fund it of course. Wonder how Thistle, Inverness, Ayr etc managed to stay afloat with academies at progressive level where we'd have been  - must just be better run clubs. 
People need to realize who the real villains were/are.

Aye have a separate entity that runs their Academy I believe. The club were even offered a plan to run it in this fashion, with names of coaches and scouts who were prepared to get involved and they even rejected that.