The Falkirk FC Thread

14 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Did it really?

It split the support imo. 

We had fans who cared about the academy to protect the long term future of the club and other fans who were delighted that a part of the club was culled for some strange reason.

2 minutes ago, Latapy is god said:

It split the support imo. 

We had fans who cared about the academy to protect the long term future of the club and other fans who were delighted that a part of the club was culled for some strange reason.

By that point it was part of a joint venture really. It can only loosely be described as part of the club when other clubs were part of it and Kenny Shiels was the one overseeing it.

4 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

If the academy was kept on, we would still in the exact same position we are now as there was nothing at that point thatbwould have prveented relegation. The academy would have been the 1st thing to go to cut costs when the pandemic hit. 

If your auntie had baws statement...

The academy for me lost its way under Houston, 3 players sold and lucky if they'd had 30 starts between them.

Bringing pandemic into cutting the academy now is just silly, yes it would have halted player progress but furlough would have cut costs, after all we had people outside the club willing to pay for the academy.

We are in league one now and loans generally in this league are untried youngsters who need to be bled into football. We are doing doing it for the parent clubs now and not 100% to our benefit, these players make mistakes along the way and learn to be either automatic first choice, sellable assets or dropping down the leagues. 

The fact people outside the club were willing to pay for the academy made it a no brainer, If or when we start another academy, the past won't be forgotten quickly albeit having a great profile before then.

3 hours ago, Peter LaFleur said:

I was pro academy but people wouldn’t have bothered their arse if the ‘brentford model’ had been executed successfully and we were in the Premiership. The academy going isn’t the cause of where we are right now.

What is the Brentford model ?

We were already doing it, nearly every club in Britain too.

Brentfords last starting 11 had one British player....so is it still Brentford model ?

Sorry but it was never a club selective model as Brentford, I said all of this when our manager and board spouted it too

The academy was replaced by bringing in super scout and signing complete dross from down south. I'd much rather have stuck with the academy thank you very much.  Some fans seemed to believe the pish spouted that the academy was holding us back from promotion so we went from second in the championship with an academy to league one and no academy.  And in the last year's of the academy it was basically falkirks academy. The other clubs had stopped funding it and we were getting all the decent players. 

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

If your auntie had baws statement...

The academy for me lost its way under Houston, 3 players sold and lucky if they'd had 30 starts between them.

Bringing pandemic into cutting the academy now is just silly, yes it would have halted player progress but furlough would have cut costs, after all we had people outside the club willing to pay for the academy.

The whole debate is an "if your auntie had baws" scenario. If we suddenly kicked on with Hartleys wonder plan and were sitting in the Premier league, we wouldn't have cared less about the academy until the shit hit the fan at some other point in the future.

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

The whole debate is an "if your auntie had baws" scenario. If we suddenly kicked on with Hartleys wonder plan and were sitting in the Premier league, we wouldn't have cared less about the academy until the shit hit the fan at some other point in the future.

When people from outside the club were willing to foot the bill, it's no debate at all.

Just now, MrDust said:

When people from outside the club were willing to foot the bill, it's no debate at all.

Yes there is. How long would that funding be for? How much would it be? Would those outside the club look to take a cut of any profits? Would they be funding the FV academy overall or just for Falkirk? 

There were as many unknowns going forward with the academy as there were with Hartleys failed project. Its just so easy to look back now and say they got it wrong because of the disaster Hartley/McKinnon turned out to be.

13 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Yes there is. How long would that funding be for? How much would it be? Would those outside the club look to take a cut of any profits? Would they be funding the FV academy overall or just for Falkirk? 

There were as many unknowns going forward with the academy as there were with Hartleys failed project. Its just so easy to look back now and say they got it wrong because of the disaster Hartley/McKinnon turned out to be.

The above was all answered at the time, you don't offer to pay for something without research.

We simply turned down keeping a form of an academy running due our club being a rudderless ship.

As said previously, we needed management to buy into implementing youth, otherwise you are pissing into the wind having it, which happened under Houston.

Were you at the agm when it was proposed in detail? As I say, out of 200 or so in the room, only a handful explicitly voiced their concern. 

It was never discussed at any AGM in detail. They said nothing and shut it 4 weeks later.

I will tell you exactly as I was involved in helping fund it.

They were guaranteed 3 years. They were guaranteed the money Falkirk were contributing. They only money proposed to go to the Academy was a cut of any transfers the club made to ensure that the Academy became self funding in time.

The club turned round and said to us that you can’t keep it going as they would not provide a pathway (which was needed to keep SFA funding support) to the professional ranks.

This was a calculated decision proposed by two people and back by the Board and MSG. It was an act of vandalism that has set our club back 10+ years.

37 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I will tell you exactly as I was involved in helping fund it.

They were guaranteed 3 years. They were guaranteed the money Falkirk were contributing. They only money proposed to go to the Academy was a cut of any transfers the club made to ensure that the Academy became self funding in time.

The club turned round and said to us that you can’t keep it going as they would not provide a pathway (which was needed to keep SFA funding support) to the professional ranks.

This was a calculated decision proposed by two people and back by the Board and MSG. It was an act of vandalism that has set our club back 10+ years.

Thanks for explaining that. 

Personally speaking, I'd have been much more supportive of maintaining the academy if I had more knowledge of what the plan was if it was externally funded. Thats not a criticism as I appreciate not everything can be public knowledge. 

Its hypothetical now but would this funding have been as part of the FV set up or for our own youth set up? I honestly think the FV academy really took the shine of everything and that being on our and having a "Falkirk" academy makes it stand out more. Granted it was the SFA who pushed through all the regional stuff.

Thanks for explaining that. 
Personally speaking, I'd have been much more supportive of maintaining the academy if I had more knowledge of what the plan was if it was externally funded. Thats not a criticism as I appreciate not everything can be public knowledge. 
Its hypothetical now but would this funding have been as part of the FV set up or for our own youth set up? I honestly think the FV academy really took the shine of everything and that being on our and having a "Falkirk" academy makes it stand out more. Granted it was the SFA who pushed through all the regional stuff.

The offer was made the day AFTER they announced it and they wanted nothing to do with anyone funding it externally. In fact the Chair at the time tried to stop a club director meeting some of those involved