The Falkirk FC Thread

Indont want to put words in your mouth RB, so apologies if you feel I did. 
Charlie Telfer was terrible last season though. His only decent performances were in 5 and 6 goal drubbing. When we needed shim he was routinely posted missing except for when he showed up to hoof Reghan Henry into the air 10 minutes into a vital promotion battle type game. 
He did more than enough to merit emptying him, especially as he wasnt just "kept on" he was actually given a new contract. If you dont agree that's fair but you cant use this level of hindsight to say folk shouldnt have criticised him. In a crowded pool of shite performer he was one of the worst. 
Absolutely fair play to him if he turns it around but he was "not fit to wear the shirt" levels last season. 

I’m not defending Telfer though. As I said my point is more a general point that we need to try to understand that there may be reasons why some players are not ‘hitting the heights’. If a player is known to have the capability but not performing, why rush to discard him? Let’s try and correct the issue imo.
I actually believe we have a squad more than capable of winning this league. It’s just that some of them are not turning out the level of performance needed regularly enough.
I’m not sure why that is, but then I don’t have the full facts at my disposal.
In general, I just think that the club has been too reactive to change of recent past and it’s done us no favours. I think we need to work with what we have and work out over a longer timeframe whether or not it’s the correct answer.
It may not be, and it might even cost us promotion, but then again, radical change might very well guarantee the same failure....

19 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I thought we didnt get any extra money for TV as it's all just put in to the central pot? Also presumably we'll miss out on 50% of PPV subs? Against Arbroath we only made about £4,500 - but Celtic would have been more than 20 times that 

Normally neither side can do PPV if it’s selected by a broadcaster so probably missing out there! 

Central Pot is for league money surely? No one knows where teams will place in the cup so would seem mental to me that you could get the semis or final and not have any TV money cause it was paid out through the leagues? Unless the Scottish cup TV deal funds the prize money? 

but then it’s Scottish fitba we are talking about so anything is possible! 

28 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I thought we didnt get any extra money for TV as it's all just put in to the central pot? Also presumably we'll miss out on 50% of PPV subs? Against Arbroath we only made about £4,500 - but Celtic would have been more than 20 times that 

That's how it works for league games but the two teams selected get paid for cup games.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

I’m not defending Telfer though. As I said my point is more a general point that we need to try to understand that there may be reasons why some players are not ‘hitting the heights’. If a player is known to have the capability but not performing, why rush to discard him? Let’s try and correct the issue imo.
I actually believe we have a squad more than capable of winning this league. It’s just that some of them are not turning out the level of performance needed regularly enough.
In general, I just think that the club has been too reactive to change of recent past and it’s done us no favours. I think we need to work with what we have and work out over a longer timeframe whether or not it’s the correct answer.
It may not be, and it might even cost us promotion, but then again, radical change might very well guarantee the same failure....

Let's face we all know the ability he has that isn't in question. If he played like we know he can regularly then he wouldn't be anywhere near us or league one.  He's been like this for most of his career you just have to hope that the penny finally drops with him when he's with us . So far it hasn't but you never know I suppose.

40 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Let's face we all know the ability he has that isn't in question. If he played like we know he can regularly then he wouldn't be anywhere near us or league one.  He's been like this for most of his career you just have to hope that the penny finally drops with him when he's with us . So far it hasn't but you never know I suppose.

One of these players that consistently does not play as well as he can. Has the skill. Has the vision. His problem has always been that the management cannot be sure he will turn it on. That in the end is why he is playing where he is.

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Sometimes its not having the right type of player beside them. Seen it over they years, new player signs and the players around him preform like new signings.

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I still think if we had a Darren Dodds or a McCracken keeping on at him he'd be fine. 

As my Gym teacher said at school dont try anything on the pitch your not good at.

After watching Lewis Moore rinse Deveney at the very start of those highlights i've changed my mind on the team for Saturday. Also Francis' run for the first goal wasn't as special as you lot made out. Hall only if Mccelland is out injured.

Mutch

Neilson Durnan Mcclelland/Hall Dixon

Morrison Gomis Telfer Fotheringham

Keena Dowds

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

After watching Lewis Moore rinse Deveney at the very start of those highlights i've changed my mind on the team for Saturday. Also Francis' run for the first goal wasn't as special as you lot made out. Hall only if Mccelland is out injured.

Mutch

Neilson Durnan Mcclelland/Hall Dixon

Morrison Gomis Telfer Fotheringham

Keena Dowds

Francis is absolutely pish and is a complete shitebag. He ran 20 yards then played a 10 yard pass to feet before Telfer scored. Quite tragic that is the most he has done since his goal at Montrose in October.

On 22/03/2021 at 15:48, FFC 1876 said:

If we go up there's a big overhaul of players needed that's for sure but that's what Gary Holt's been brought in to look at so we'll see what he comes up with this summer. M&M stuck with a lot of last years failures and if we go up this season then that could be seen as the right call. They stated that they wanted to keep a core group of players together rather than rebuilding from scratch again for the third season in a row. Hopefully if we go up they'll already know a lot of the current squad aren't capable of making the step up if we want to challenge for promotion again.

We have to aim for a squad to challenge for promotion, that requires the management to be ruthless. As far as I am concerned if we don't make the playoffs its failure and M&M would have to go.

Certainly the noises made previously by our chairman etc would suggest we want to be back in the top flight within as short a timescale as possible. Whether that comes to fruition remains to be seen, but I'd agree if we do go up anything less than the promotion playoffs isn't acceptable. By the same token if M&M show loyalty and dish out deals to the majority of the current squad we will be in the playoffs at the wrong end of the championship. 

39 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We have to aim for a squad to challenge for promotion, that requires the management to be ruthless. As far as I am concerned if we don't make the playoffs its failure and M&M would have to go.

I would argue that anything less than winning this sorry excuse for a league is failure.

I probably agree as the players should really be capable from here.
On the other hand how many of the squad are M and M signings?
(Appreciate I’ll probably get a backlash for pointing this out and due to the quality of the few signings they have made, but I’m still going to ask the question [emoji16])...