The Falkirk FC Thread

My recollection was that Miller was a typical centre half, whereas Gibson was more a number 6, perhaps a Fabinho of his time.
Of course in those days, the formation was sometimes 2-3-5, although I recall we sometimes played cattenacio, or 4-1-4-1, where Gibson would be the defensive 1. The defensive 4 were Abel (Seldom as sometimes nicknamed and I recall a teacher at Graeme High), Markie, Miiler & McLaughlin (Tiger). I think I recall Gibson breaking his leg at least once. Miller once scored direct from a corner at the far end at Brockville, but I can’t recall who against.
I see that Miller was 29 when joining us and he played over 100 games over 3.5 years, before managing Dunfermline. Gibson only played 289 games over 11 years with us, but Would have been far more barring injury.
What a team we had then, with Wilson Hoggan at right wing, Shirra in midfield and Fergie up front, with others such as Roxburgh, Setterington, Jack, Scott, Somner, Young, Harley, etc. filling the other slots. Highlight and lowlight for me were the same great League Cup run, where we put paid to Clyde, Aberdeen, Dundee & Hibs and got to a semi versus a Div 2 team, but didn’t turn up v Partick. Was great to be watching the reserves on the day the half time score of their hammering of Celtic came over the tannoy. 

....and don’t forget Craig Watson. I remember that semi against Partick at Hampden, and it was probably our worst performance of the season. There was something written in the stars for Partick that season, as in the final, they put four past Celtic in one of the biggest shocks of the post war era.

6 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

....and don’t forget Craig Watson. I remember that semi against Partick at Hampden, and it was probably our worst performance of the season. There was something written in the stars for Partick that season, as in the final, they put four past Celtic in one of the biggest shocks of the post war era.

Yes, that Partick game was a real disappointment after such great expectations.

I recall they  had a skinny winger play for them. He lived quite near me in Polmont at the time - McQuade?

Ah got my wires mixed up re that school. I was at Larbert, so got my main town ones mixed up. Graeme High’s claim to fame was of course captain GG!

It’s probably way before your time, but Gregor Abel did a few PE sessions at Larbert High too.
The other guy I remember regularly taking PE classes at LHS was Henry Hall. He was amongst the best two or three goal scorers in Scotland at the time.
You simply cannot imagine pro footballers doing school work now.

Possibly even more amazing was that our Gilmour’s pub team in Stenhousemuir had us having training sessions taken by Jim Brogan.....a guy who had played in the European Cup Final a few years before. He passed away a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

It’s probably way before your time, but Gregor Abel did a few PE sessions at Larbert High too.
The other guy I remember regularly taking PE classes at LHS was Henry Hall. He was amongst the best two or three goal scorers in Scotland at the time.
You simply cannot imagine pro footballers doing school work now.

Possibly even more amazing was that our Gilmour’s pub team in Stenhousemuir had us having training sessions taken by Jim Brogan.....a guy who had played in the European Cup Final a few years before. He passed away a couple of years ago.

Jim Brogan was in partnership with David Cattanach.

7 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

Got that in before me, I remember back in the day being in my mates car with a rangers, celtic and an Aberdeen fan all singing don't go back to brockville and waste another year at me, you just don't get sophisticated satire like that these days!!

Aye, I remember getting it from Hibs and Rangers fans at school!

Secretly quite liked it though.

3 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Agree. Very Worrying Times. 
I’m sure many teams have already “welcomed” the arse cheeks. 

Let them start at the bottom like anyone else if they want this. Deathnell of Scottish football if this gets the go ahead.

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Sure ?

Yes. Read the article beyond the headline. Nothing has been agreed, a working group are about to put forward a proposal which the SFA and SPFL boards need to approve before clubs get to vote on it. Even if it gets past that stage there is no way clubs will take the suicidal step of voting it through, there is far too much fan opposition to it.

From BBC news:
Plans to introduce Celtic and Rangers B teams into League Two for the start of next season are being finalised for a vote by SPFL clubs.

So has there been a deal done with the authorities to restart leagues 1&2 so we can accommodate the bigot bro’s ?

Of course it has. They would all drop their drawers, including us, for a few dollars

Yes. Read the article beyond the headline. Nothing has been agreed, a working group are about to put forward a proposal which the SFA and SPFL boards need to approve before clubs get to vote on it. Even if it gets past that stage there is no way clubs will take the suicidal step of voting it through, there is far too much fan opposition to it.

Are you sure? Free money over 5 years may more than compensate for lost crowd revenue for many clubs and its plenty of time for some fans to forgive and forget.....

Guest Peter LaFleur
11 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Nathan Austin to East Fife and Kyle Turner to Airdrie. Couple of decent signings. 

Two brilliant signings. Would have had Turner especially in a heartbeat.