The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I'd have still liked us to bring a striker in supposing it was a loan from a prem side. God forbid Keena gets injured again, the thought of Dowds, Sammon or Francis up front quite frankly gives you the boak. 

My biggest worry is that the coaching team will look at it numbers wise. We have 4 strikers, 5 if you include Lee Miller.  I agree with you, we have quantity rather than quality and need someone else. 

Out of curiosity how many 'streams's do you guys get on Falkirk TV for the live league games..    Our numbers are pretty low apparently...

just trying to work out some figures especial!y with next year maybe only being 20 % capacity at the start of the season, if all goes w ell.

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Out of curiosity how many 'streams's do you guys get on Falkirk TV for the live league games..    Our numbers are pretty low apparently...

just trying to work out some figures especial!y with next year maybe only being 20 % capacity at the start of the season, if all goes w ell.

We're big time so anywhere between 3000 and 30000 per game.

You getting your George Gibsons and George Millers mixed up I think.

I am certainly not.
George Gibson was a boyhood hero.
Gibson and Markie played lots of games together over many years.
Miller only had two or three seasons as he was past it when he signed for us from Hearts

12 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

There’s a regular tendency for us to sign half decent players who immediately turn to shit as soon as they pull on the navy blue.
No idea why though.....

Happens all over, not just Falkirk.

Usually down to different (inferior) coaching and tactics.

You just have to look at all the superstars that have went to Man U for instance (post Ferguson) and been rank rotten suddenly. Pogba was astonishingly good at Juventus, and still is for France.

On 14/03/2021 at 22:41, XabiaBairn said:

I am certainly not.
Miller only had two or three seasons as he was past it when he signed for us from Hearts

My recollection was that Miller was a typical centre half, whereas Gibson was more a number 6, perhaps a Fabinho of his time.

Of course in those days, the formation was sometimes 2-3-5, although I recall we sometimes played cattenacio, or 4-1-4-1, where Gibson would be the defensive 1. The defensive 4 were Abel (Seldom as sometimes nicknamed and I recall a teacher at Graeme High), Markie, Miiler & McLaughlin (Tiger). I think I recall Gibson breaking his leg at least once. Miller once scored direct from a corner at the far end at Brockville, but I can’t recall who against.

I see that Miller was 29 when joining us and he played over 100 games over 3.5 years, before managing Dunfermline. Gibson only played 289 games over 11 years with us, but Would have been far more barring injury.

What a team we had then, with Wilson Hoggan at right wing, Shirra in midfield and Fergie up front, with others such as Roxburgh, Setterington, Jack, Scott, Somner, Young, Harley, etc. filling the other slots. Highlight and lowlight for me were the same great League Cup run, where we put paid to Clyde, Aberdeen, Dundee & Hibs and got to a semi versus a Div 2 team, but didn’t turn up v Partick. Was great to be watching the reserves on the day the half time score of their hammering of Celtic came over the tannoy. 

Edited by Ann Dan Otherthing

1 hour ago, XabiaBairn said:

I am certainly not.

Geordie played often at centre back and in midfield. He played left back on occasion too. He was brilliant wherever he played, never seeming to break sweat. 

10 hours ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

My recollection was that Miller was a typical centre half, whereas Gibson was more a number 6, perhaps a Fabinho of his time.

Of course in those days, the formation was sometimes 2-3-5, although I recall we sometimes played cattenacio, or 4-1-4-1, where Gibson would be the defensive 1. The defensive 4 were Abel (Seldom as sometimes nicknamed and I recall a teacher at Graeme High), Markie, Miiler & McLaughlin (Tiger). I think I recall Gibson breaking his leg at least once. Miller once scored direct from a corner at the far end at a Rockville, but I can’t recall who against.

I see that Miller was 29 when joining us and he played over 100 games over 3.5 years, before managing Dunfermline. Gibson only played 289 games over 11 years with us, but Would have been far more barring injury.

What a team we had then, with Wilson Hoggan at right wing, Shirra in midfield and Fergie up front, with others such as Roxburgh, Setterington, Jack, Scott, Somner, Young, Harley, etc. filling the other slots. Highlight and lowlight for me were the same great League Cup run, where we put paid to Clyde, Aberdeen, Dundee & Hibs and got to a semi versus a Div 2 team, but didn’t turn up v Partick. Was great to be watching the reserves on the day the half time score of their hammering of Celtic came over the tannoy. 

Yeah, very good memories.

Gregor Abel was actually a teacher at Falkirk High School. Nice guy, and that is a high accolade from me for a teacher lol. Remember one time he was umpiring a school cricket match and after I caught & bowled a batsmen ( who’d driven ball straight back at me), Gregor quipped that it was just as well I’d caught it, as he was about to nod it back into my arms.

Hard to compare the talent and style of not just Falkirk, but Scottish Football overall, in those days to now.  It started to decline with the  Roxburgh/Largs set up.....

14 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Happens all over, not just Falkirk.

Usually down to different (inferior) coaching and tactics.

You just have to look at all the superstars that have went to Man U for instance (post Ferguson) and been rank rotten suddenly. Pogba was astonishingly good at Juventus, and still is for France.

There's also the fact that other clubs have different standards than us at the end of the day.  A right back at Falkirk will always be compared to an Alex Parker a  Davie Weir a Gary Smith  a jack Ross or an Andy lawrie at his peak. In more recent years we've only had one full back that's been at all decent and that was Duffie.  Kidd , Doyle and mercer didn't turn to shite when they came to us that's the way they've always played but whilst it was ok for queen's it's clearly not the standard we were used to previously. 

15 hours ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

Of course in those days, the formation was sometimes 2-3-5, although I recall we sometimes played cattenacio, or 4-1-4-1, where Gibson would be the defensive 1. The defensive 4 were Abel (Seldom as sometimes nicknamed and I recall a teacher at Graeme High), Markie, Miiler & McLaughlin (Tiger). I think I recall Gibson breaking his leg at least once. Miller once scored direct from a corner at the far end at a Rockville, but I can’t recall who against.

The George Miller Goal direct from the corner was against Dunfermline in injury time to win 1 nil. Car park end Watson Street corner.

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The George Miller Goal direct from the corner was against Dunfermline in injury time to win 1 nil. Car park end Watson Street corner.

I don`t recall that game. There was a game in 71 (the next home game after we beat Rangers on New Year`s day) Miller scored the winner right at the end against Dunfermline in a 3-2 victory. Wouldn`t be that game????

How about we don't play any more games ' unable to fulfill the 18 games'.
Would go down to points per game ratio. We're on 1.904..less chance of making an erse of it [emoji38] 

If they pass the vote this week it will be ppg.
Otherwise it’s a 27 game league which would probably not be possible so I’d guess it would end up null and void after extensive squabbling....

Guest Peter LaFleur
13 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

As said there’s no chance we will get more than 18 games, with the SC and Covid lurking, and with he authorities clearly stating points per blah blah, we’ve got an excellent opportunity to get out of this horrid league.

Win on Saturday (against our toughest opponent left to play,imo) and we will win the league. Confidence will be shot with any other result though. 

14 hours ago, HonestAl said:

Yeah, very good memories.

Gregor Abel was actually a teacher at Falkirk High School. Nice guy, and that is a high accolade from me for a teacher lol. Remember one time he was umpiring a school cricket match and after I caught & bowled a batsmen ( who’d driven ball straight back at me), Gregor quipped that it was just as well I’d caught it, as he was about to nod it back into my arms.

Hard to compare the talent and style of not just Falkirk, but Scottish Football overall, in those days to now.  It started to decline with the  Roxburgh/Largs set up.....

Ah got my wires mixed up re that school. I was at Larbert, so got my main town ones mixed up. Graeme High’s claim to fame was of course captain GG!