The Falkirk FC Thread

19 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Next weeks starting line up will be very interesting now and given the way Montrose were playing before we stopped it'll be a tough game. 

You just know that we will come crawling out the traps, and it'll be an absolute shitfest. I can't remember the last game we totally bossed someone other than Dumbarton in this league.  Tough game, I wouldn't be surprised if we drop points, and it'll defo be a loss if it's a performance anything like the East Fife game. 

Guest Peter LaFleur

Mutch

Neilson McClelland Dixon Deveney

Gomis Telfer

Morrison Alston Fotheringham

Keena

Don’t @ me, fam.

Edited by Peter LaFleur

35 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

You just know that we will come crawling out the traps, and it'll be an absolute shitfest. I can't remember the last game we totally bossed someone other than Dumbarton in this league.  Tough game, I wouldn't be surprised if we drop points, and it'll defo be a loss if it's a performance anything like the East Fife game. 

If I could pray for Holt to have changed one fucking thing since coming in, it would be for a sense of urgency. This has ran on from Houstons last full season all the way through. 

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

That's the spirit!

Scott McKenzie, Falkirk News Photo - Getty Images

6 - Scott MacKenzie - 367 Appearances

Making his debut in 1991, Scott was the archetypal 'invisible player', and I mean that as a compliment. So much of the job he did was unseen. Breaking up attacks, making simple passes, getting in the way, being available. The sort of stuff they tell us fellow professionals value.

He had a couple of years at St Mirren where things didn't really work out, so came back and went about winning the First Division another couple of times! Finished up with us after netting 11 times, aptly after we demolished the league in 2005.

George Gibson of Falkirk in 1971. | Football cards, Falkirk, Football  stickers

5 - George Gibson - 368 Appearances

This cigarette card has GG as a left half (left midfielder?) but I thought he was more of a cultured centre back.

Anyway, he is regarded with something close to adoration by many Bairns fans. I'll let them eulogise his career better than I ever could. 9 goals in a career with us from 1966 to 1977.

I'm going to assume Kelly, Mercer and Connolly are out or not fit enough to start. I'm also going to assume given Hall and Durnan have played together this season they'll be the preferred centre half pairing. I feel we've looked our best this season with Telfer in the middle of the park. He was wrongly substituted in the game against Airdrie at home in my opinion and then dropped against Partick.

Mutch

Neilson Durnan Hall Dixon

Morrison Gomis Telfer Fotheringham

Keena Dowds

40 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Agreed with Telfer. With him and Gomis in the middle we have half a chance of keeping possession rather than just aimlessly punting it and scrapping for second balls. I'm hopeful one of the young centre backs are showing up well enough that we will never have to see Durnan and Hall as a centre back pairing ever again. I think I'd even prefer Neilson CH with Gary Miller in at right back.

Certainly don't want miller and gomis rearing their heads as a partnership again. Telfer seems the best option by far. Would still like to see us getting another option in for there. Telfer is very inconsistent , Alston unfit and Todd simply shite.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'm going to assume Kelly, Mercer and Connolly are out or not fit enough to start. I'm also going to assume given Hall and Durnan have played together this season they'll be the preferred centre half pairing. I feel we've looked our best this season with Telfer in the middle of the park. He was wrongly substituted in the game against Airdrie at home in my opinion and then dropped against Partick.

Mutch

Morrison Gomis Telfer Fotheringham

Keena Dowds

I'd rather play Deveney at LB and keep Dixon in the middle.

I think Telfer has been a bit unlucky in his Falkirk career, in that he's so often been played out of position. He's never, ever a winger and I don't think he's particularly suited to the heart of the midfield either. I'd like to see him in a more advanced central role, a 10, with a licence to create and link with the striker, and given a proper run of games there to finally ascertain if he has something to offer. He was just coming into a bit of form before bizarrely being made the scapegoat for that Airdrie defeat, when everyone was poor. There's far worse in our squad.

Mutch

Gomis Alston

Morrison Telfer Fotheringham

Keena

Is another option if we want to play with Telfer in the hole. Means the three in behind could interchange. As agree that Telfer would be best suited to the number 10 role we just don't play it normally.

Don't get the Telfer love in. Was sure we'd bin him last summer and was bitterly disappointed when we didn't. He's obviously got some talent but seriously lacks desire and heart hence the reason he's only played about 3 decent games for us. Part of the reason we're in this shithole of a league is dross signings like Telfer. Our recruitment must significantly improve.

9 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Don't get the Telfer love in. Was sure we'd bin him last summer and was bitterly disappointed when we didn't. He's obviously got some talent but seriously lacks desire and heart hence the reason he's only played about 3 decent games for us. Part of the reason we're in this shithole of a league is dross signings like Telfer. Our recruitment must significantly improve.

In the summer I'd have been the first to back you up on that. But this season in the games he's played from the start he's been one of the main sparks of inspiration from our midfield. The Clyde game he scored a cracker from outside the box and the Peterhead game his two assists were brilliant. He was quiet in the Airdrie game but no more than anyone else and he was hooked after 60 mins.

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

George Gibson of Falkirk in 1971. | Football cards, Falkirk, Football  stickers

5 - George Gibson - 368 Appearances

This cigarette card has GG as a left half (left midfielder?) but I thought he was more of a cultured centre back.

Anyway, he is regarded with something close to adoration by many Bairns fans. I'll let them eulogise his career better than I ever could. 9 goals in a career with us from 1966 to 1977.

Markie Miller Gibson halfback line has never been matched as a unit.

It was telepathic at times.

I do not understand how anyone can think that Hall/Durnan combo is acceptable under any circumstances. Hall is the worst of any of our options, so if Kelly is out then the choice is either Durnan/McClelland with Dixon at LB, or McClelland/Dixon with Deveney or Sneddon at LB.

I'm obviously quite cynical about the team as a default but I can't fault the idea behind the loan signing this month. We will need to see how things pan out but I'd far rather go with young legs of players with a point to prove than Thistle's route of bringing in guys who chucked it for a few quid in the Lowland League.

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I do not understand how anyone can think that Hall/Durnan combo is acceptable under any circumstances. Hall is the worst of any of our options, so if Kelly is out then the choice is either Durnan/McClelland with Dixon at LB, or McClelland/Dixon with Deveney or Sneddon at LB.

I'm obviously quite cynical about the team as a default but I can't fault the idea behind the loan signing this month. We will need to see how things pan out but I'd far rather go with young legs of players with a point to prove than Thistle's route of bringing in guys who chucked it for a few quid in the Lowland League.

Doubt the new signings will even get a game.

Guest Peter LaFleur
5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Doubt the new signings will even get a game.

I think the opposite. Neilson in particular has been in and around Dundee United’s first team and all three have trained with their parent clubs over the period of our leagues shutdown so should be the sharpest in terms of fitness.