The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Latapy is god said:

I get that the club couldn't afford an elite academy and weren't within the milage of a full size indoor pitch. 

However there's no reason why the academy couldn't of kept going at performance (progressive)  level.  Shutting down years of work at the flick of a lightswitch which gave structure to the club and keeps its long term was a poor decision which has indeed set us back years. 

The argument of the better players only going to elite level clubs is also invalid imo.  Falkirk had a great reputation of developing talent which is a reason for players to sign for Falkirk under FV academy at performance level.  That has now been tarnished and will be difficult to gain trust again however I hope the club can. 

100% , this was my argument at the time - we could have set our academy at progressive level well within our budget and looked to build on it.

Didn't suit Campbell's agenda though. 

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

The vast majority were fucking ignorant idiots too then.

Look at what is now coming through? All those were FV kids. The Board were told, as Alex Smith told them. Remember it was the FFC Board at the time who took us to the FV set up.

That decision has set us back years.

Correct BPM.

But many of the ignorant idiots were fed propaganda and fake figures by Campbell & Laing, Laing in particular.

I remember having an argument with a guy on FB who was convinced we could not afford the academy and still survive. Total scaremongering. A prominent poster on here told me Laing could not possibly be lying as "she goes to reserve games"!! Now we don't even have a reserve team anymore.

At one point it got to ridiculous levels with our own dear EdiBairn telling me it would cost 1 Million to run the U20 side alone!!   

These people could not see beyond Campbell's carrot of Project Premiership.........and look where it got us. Hopefully the Rawlings can restore our club's footballing infrastructure which these all time FFC villains ruined.  

Their whole data was based on the complete nonsense that the academy would have to be of elite status to have any future and that would require an indoor pitch etc ,otherwise we would lose all our good prospects to teams with elite academies. Utter tosh that Martin Ritchie is still trying to peddle in his book. I haven't heard any other club complaining about constantly  losing players to elite academies since. As Hank said once Campbell had this idea nothing was going to change their mind.  His spreadsheets were saying you need more cash to go up instead of what we really needed which was an excellent manager and recruitment system.  Flinging more cash at the first team was never going to change anything if it was getting pished down the drain on more dross. Houstie had got us close against the likes of Rangers and Hibs with a certain budget and an academy . If the academy was becoming too expensive then you cut your cloth accordingly and have a smaller academy.  You don't bin it altogether.

26 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Understand we’ll be at home to Montrose next Saturday which is a continuation of the programme at the time we stopped.

I suppose 18, 22 or 27 it was always going to be Montrose at home anyway. It's what happens after 18 that's the sticking point.

Apparently the delay is that the clubs have presented a 22 game proposal with a 2 week extension to the season but the SPFL have told them to explain how they will deal with scheduling any games due to COVID call offs or later round Scottish Cup ties. They also need agreement from the championship clubs for the 2 week gap until the play off games.   They so far haven't been able to.  

Increasingly likely 22 games won't go ahead and it'll either be 18 with play offs or 27 with no play offs and only 1 up/1 down. 

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Guest The Phoenix
7 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Apparently the delay is that the clubs have presented a 22 game proposal with a 2 week extension to the season but the SPFL have told them to explain how they will deal with scheduling any games due to COVID call offs or later round Scottish Cup ties. They also need agreement from the championship clubs for the 2 week gap until the play off games.   They so far haven't been able to.  

Increasingly likely 22 games won't go ahead and it'll either be 18 with play offs or 27 with no play offs and only 1 up/1 down. 

Not even remotely where this is going. 

Guest The Phoenix
1 minute ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Ok then - where is it going?  

All being well I'd expect a formal announcement late today, tomorrow latest. 

3 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

All being well I'd expect a formal announcement late today, tomorrow latest. 

I’m confused. It seems there’s a roughly 0% chance of championship clubs agreeing to extend their season just to accommodate our playoffs - why would they agree to that. Given spfl didn’t even have the power to say no you can’t play 22 games to our league, how on earth do the spfl have the power to tell champ clubs their season has been extended? 

Edited by bairn88

12 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

I actually agree with SPFL here. If there is a Covid break the proposed 22 games would be tight to squeeze in. 18 plus the play-off’s would be my preferred completion route. 

I reckon that is everyone's favoured route with the exception of Forfar, Partick and Clyde. 

18 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I’m confused. It seems there’s a roughly 0% chance of championship clubs agreeing to extend their season just to accommodate our playoffs - why would they agree to that. Given spfl didn’t even have the power to say no you can’t play 22 games to our league, how on earth do the spfl have the power to tell champ clubs their season has been extended? 

It sounds like this is the SPFL Board's decision to make, so the Championship clubs don't directly have a say.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It sounds like this is the SPFL Board's decision to make, so the Championship clubs don't directly have a say.

Fair enough. Their initial statement to the 22 games proposal was very much “we’re here to act only in the clubs interests so if you want to play 22 games then fine on your heads be it”, now they’re enforcing an extension to champ clubs....I still don’t get it. But maybe it’s in the rules somewhere 

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I reckon that is everyone's favoured route with the exception of Forfar, Partick and Clyde. 

Clyde ?

I'd guess Clyde would be happy with 10 games in 8 weeks, 14 in 8 weeks would fuk them up more and not including the Scottish cup.

A lot of the league one clubs have decent draws in the Scottish cup to extend the season, it is madness to attempt to add four more games in the league with a split of 5 teams....To think some wonder why we are a laughing stock 

We would have to extend the season to near enough or till in June to do 22 games correctly

5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Clyde ?

I'd guess Clyde would be happy with 10 games in 8 weeks, 14 in 8 weeks would fuk them up more and not including the Scottish cup.

A lot of the league one clubs have decent draws in the Scottish cup to extend the season, it is madness to attempt to add four more games in the league with a split of 5 teams....To think some wonder why we are a laughing stock 

We would have to extend the season to near enough or till in June to do 22 games correctly

Only reason I think Clyde is because I can't really see the argument for any other team in the league being against 18 games. Clyde are 9th and may want as many games as possible, despite the small time period. If it was only Partick and Forfar pushing for 22 games the rest of the League 1 clubs could out-vote them and push through 18 games, so there must beat least 3 clubs against that if we're now looking at a 22 game season. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Only reason I think Clyde is because I can't really see the argument for any other team in the league being against 18 games. Clyde are 9th and may want as many games as possible, despite the small time period. If it was only Partick and Forfar pushing for 22 games the rest of the League 1 clubs could out-vote them and push through 18 games, so there must beat least 3 clubs against that if we're now looking at a 22 game season. 

It's very much in Clyde's hands where they could finish and could go level with Montrose winning their games in hand on them. I personally think playing more games in a tight space would do them more harm and I would be surprised if they didn't think the same. Partick don't have it in their own hands to top the league, so for sure they will want 22

If every club in our league went with logical sense on this decision we'd be starting again next weekend with an 18 game season. Unfortunately scottish football being scottish football logical sense is never at the forefront. Playing the remainder of the 18 games then having a split to play against the exact same teams you'd end up playing in the playoffs is just idiocy. But I'll take that idiocy if it gets us back playing this season. I'm hoping that after the SPFL have bounced back the 22 game season the clubs have met again and logical sense as opposed to pure self interest has been taken and we are onto an 18 game season from next weekend. No point thinking 'we need extra games to turn this around' really you should just be using the games you have remaining to make the most out of this season.