The Falkirk FC Thread

23 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

And potentially Steven Bell, 36. Geggans 33 , Erskine 34. I wouldn't be too chuffed if that's what we were signing  however we're hardly awash with youth and energy ourselves.

Probably a last throw of the dice from McCall to try and get them up, old pals act, experience etc. We on the other hand are the complete opposite and lack younger legs and energy and have done so for the last few seasons. I hope the young boy McLelland plays week in week out, flip side being he could find himself struggling if we start back in the same vein like the East Fife game. 

I think McLelland is there as back up for when Hall has another shocker or if Dixon needs to go out to left back if Kelly's injured. Hopefully he takes his chance when it comes. If the fotheringham rumours are true then i'll be happy, local lad that can play outwide which surely to god means we'll never see Todd or Leitch out there again. Keep the loans coming. Still another 4 to use.

12 hours ago, CC52 FFC said:

I just hope these young players are good enough and not bench warmers like Deveney. From what I hear though Fotheringham is related very highly. 

Is Deveney even still with us? I thought he might have went back to Killie when our league stopped, more so now that they have a new manager who might have wanted a look at all the playing staff. Have to say that was a total waste of a loan, similar to ie Moore from Hearts, I don't get the point of bringing these guys in to hardly feature, that suggests they aren't considered good enough, You'd be aswell just leaving them to fester at their own clubs. 

4 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Is Deveney even still with us? I thought he might have went back to Killie when our league stopped, more so now that they have a new manager who might have wanted a look at all the playing staff. Have to say that was a total waste of a loan, similar to ie Moore from Hearts, I don't get the point of bringing these guys in to hardly feature, that suggests they aren't considered good enough, You'd be aswell just leaving them to fester at their own clubs. 

He's still there as he's been in all of the training pictures posted lately by the club. It made even less sense to bring him in when we'd just signed the boy Sneddon in the summer. I think it was a panic signing as they obviously didn't know about Kelly or didn't think they were going to get him. Hopefully given we're top of the league just now and we've got till the end of March to sign players we'll be a little bit more picky when it comes to who we bring in. I feel sorry for Deveney as we've pretty much wrote him off without him even having the chance to show what he can do in the first team. 

2 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

In hindsight yes, at the time though there were a substantial percentage of the support in favour of scrapping it. After the breakthrough of Sibbald, Fulton, Kingsley etc we had a major dry spell where the cream of the crop was O'Hara. The point at which the academy died was when it was re-branded the FV Academy and diluted with absolute dross.

I'm all for the academy re-starting but really don't think it should be more than 2 or 3 teams. U20's then a team every 2nd age group down to U16's.  Any players younger than that should be developing at boys clubs (of which there are plenty decent ones in the area). The idea of having 11/12 year olds in an academy is just daft and gives them and their parents ridiculous false hope that there kid will make it.

The big difference was Houston went for experience before giving youth a taste or chance. The three players sold in his time had around 30 or so starts between them. The academy players previous had that individually and much more. The youth players have to get a taste and to be able to see if they can sink or swim, plenty have sinked over the years.

Houston's hand was forced with Biabi and Gallagher and he pissed on O'Hara bringing him back from East Fife to do fuk all. I'm not suggesting O'Hara was the answer but it was the season Lee Miller was our only striker scoring.

The whole thing has to work top to bottom and under Houston it didn't.

33 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Probably a last throw of the dice from McCall to try and get them up, old pals act, experience etc. We on the other hand are the complete opposite and lack younger legs and energy and have done so for the last few seasons. I hope the young boy McLelland plays week in week out, flip side being he could find himself struggling if we start back in the same vein like the East Fife game. 

How is that the exact opposite? You say they have signed lots of codgers, and then state we lack younger legs too. Surely it's exactly the same!

20 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

How is that the exact opposite? You say they have signed lots of codgers, and then state we lack younger legs too. Surely it's exactly the same!

I think he means we need and are looking for younger legs whilst they seem to be looking for experience.

In hindsight yes, at the time though there were a substantial percentage of the support in favour of scrapping it. After the breakthrough of Sibbald, Fulton, Kingsley etc we had a major dry spell where the cream of the crop was O'Hara. The point at which the academy died was when it was re-branded the FV Academy and diluted with absolute dross.
I'm all for the academy re-starting but really don't think it should be more than 2 or 3 teams. U20's then a team every 2nd age group down to U16's.  Any players younger than that should be developing at boys clubs (of which there are plenty decent ones in the area). The idea of having 11/12 year olds in an academy is just daft and gives them and their parents ridiculous false hope that there kid will make it.

The vast majority were fucking ignorant idiots too then.

Look at what is now coming through? All those were FV kids. The Board were told, as Alex Smith told them. Remember it was the FFC Board at the time who took us to the FV set up.

That decision has set us back years.

Look at what is now coming through? All those were FV kids. The Board were told, as Alex Smith told them. Remember it was the FFC Board at the time who took us to the FV set up.

At the time I could understand the decision, that's if we take the information we were given by the club about funds at face value (I know that's contested). However, what is completely ridiculous is refusing to take the money that was offered by local businesses to keep it running in some capacity.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I get that the club couldn't afford an elite academy and weren't within the milage of a full size indoor pitch. 

However there's no reason why the academy couldn't of kept going at performance (progressive)  level.  Shutting down years of work at the flick of a lightswitch which gave structure to the club and keeps its long term was a poor decision which has indeed set us back years. 

The argument of the better players only going to elite level clubs is also invalid imo.  Falkirk had a great reputation of developing talent which is a reason for players to sign for Falkirk under FV academy at performance level.  That has now been tarnished and will be difficult to gain trust again however I hope the club can. 

Edited by Latapy is god

2 hours ago, Latapy is god said:

I get that the club couldn't afford an elite academy and weren't within the milage of a full size indoor pitch. 

However there's no reason why the academy couldn't of kept going at performance (progressive)  level.  Shutting down years of work at the flick of a lightswitch which gave structure to the club and keeps its long term was a poor decision which has indeed set us back years. 

The argument of the better players only going to elite level clubs is also invalid imo.  Falkirk had a great reputation of developing talent which is a reason for players to sign for Falkirk under FV academy at performance level.  That has now been tarnished and will be difficult to gain trust again however I hope the club can. 

You have the academy you can afford. The Fife elite academy is only at the progressive level which is bottom.of the pile but Raith don't seem to have any problems bringing through good young players.