The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest The Phoenix
48 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

I just hope these young players are good enough and not bench warmers like Deveney. From what I hear though Fotheringham is related very highly. 

Not the best time to discover you’re part of the Royal Family 

Nothing like getting your old players back.  Here's who we could've had.

This for me is the final slap in the face regarding the Academy. Anyone who actually cares about the club who were involved in making that call should hang their heads in shame and go

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Fotheringham was apparently coming to us before Kerr got his jotters so he’s either being passed onto Dundee Utds second choice for a loan club or Kerr has told his pal he’s a decent player.

Kerr and miller most likely coached him when he was with us.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

This for me is the final slap in the face regarding the Academy. Anyone who actually cares about the club who were involved in making that call should hang their heads in shame and go

In hindsight yes, at the time though there were a substantial percentage of the support in favour of scrapping it. After the breakthrough of Sibbald, Fulton, Kingsley etc we had a major dry spell where the cream of the crop was O'Hara. The point at which the academy died was when it was re-branded the FV Academy and diluted with absolute dross.

I'm all for the academy re-starting but really don't think it should be more than 2 or 3 teams. U20's then a team every 2nd age group down to U16's.  Any players younger than that should be developing at boys clubs (of which there are plenty decent ones in the area). The idea of having 11/12 year olds in an academy is just daft and gives them and their parents ridiculous false hope that there kid will make it.

50 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

In hindsight yes, at the time though there were a substantial percentage of the support in favour of scrapping it. After the breakthrough of Sibbald, Fulton, Kingsley etc we had a major dry spell where the cream of the crop was O'Hara. The point at which the academy died was when it was re-branded the FV Academy and diluted with absolute dross.

I'm all for the academy re-starting but really don't think it should be more than 2 or 3 teams. U20's then a team every 2nd age group down to U16's.  Any players younger than that should be developing at boys clubs (of which there are plenty decent ones in the area). The idea of having 11/12 year olds in an academy is just daft and gives them and their parents ridiculous false hope that there kid will make it.

Agree with this to an extent, there are plenty of players released at that age that go on to make it as well. Mcgrandles and Wallace two of our youngsters that commanded transfer fee's were both picked up from Rangers academy. 

With the academy I don't think it's fair to say we went through a dry spell as really we exhausted the crop well before it was time to harvest. Before we shut up shop we had Tony Gallagher, Ryan Blair and Botti Biabi all sold well before they had a chance of developing in the first team. Now they've not went on to have magnificient careers (yet) but we never gave them the chance at the start to get first team games. Ciaran Dunne and Johnny Mitchell were another two coming through we sold before integrating them into the first team picture. Also filled with 'absolute dross' isn't exactly correct given how many of that academy have went on to be given full time contracts at premiership clubs.

Our biggest issue now is gaining back the trust people had in our academy as that won't come overnight especially with the way the last academy was ended. We just need to show that youth players will get their chance to shine once again at our club. 

Edited by FFC 1876

36 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Agree with this to an extent, there are plenty of players released at that age that go on to make it as well. Mcgrandles and Wallace two of our youngsters that commanded transfer fee's were both picked up from Rangers academy. 

With the academy I don't think it's fair to say we went through a dry spell as really we exhausted the crop well before it was time to harvest. Before we shut up shop we had Tony Gallagher, Ryan Blair and Botti Biabi all sold well before they had a chance of developing in the first team. Now they've not went on to have magnificient careers (yet) but we never gave them the chance at the start to get first team games. Ciaran Dunne and Johnny Mitchell were another two coming through we sold before integrating them into the first team picture. Also filled with 'absolute dross' isn't exactly correct given how many of that academy have went on to be given full time contracts at premiership clubs.

Our biggest issue now is gaining back the trust people had in our academy as that won't come overnight especially with the way the last academy was ended. We just need to show that youth players will get their chance to shine once again at our club. 

Exactly. You can't bring through huge numbers of players every year and even in that couple of barren years we were still making cash from the likes of Gallagher and Kingsley. Those agreeing with the academy being shut had no real knowledge of it whilst others knew that there was a lot of quality coming through and that's showing up now. Crazy decision and as BPM days we are now having our noses rubbed in it bringing back players we should have any.  One thing I'd be doing is getting mick mccarfle back now he's left Ayr to run our reserve/development sides looking to an academy in the longer term.  Not sure he'd come mind you after being shafted previously.