The Falkirk FC Thread

What the feck is the point of a 22 game season apart from reducing the amount of cash clubs have to pay back to season ticket holders by a couple of games. Should either be 18 or 27 not this split pish.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

21 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Also whoever is 5th, are they 5th full stop with four games to play or can they break into the top 4 by playing the bottom of the league.

No, just like has been the case for over 20 years of the top flight split. This is something that literally happened to Falkirk too, back in 2006/07, when you finished 7th despite having more points than Hibs in 6th.

It's just an extra chance for teams at the top to go win it and teams at the bottom to dogfight to survive. It doesn't really make sense in terms of we're back at the stage where teams will have had two home games against a team and one away game but if it starts our season back I couldn't care less. Highly doubt the spfl will agree with it given the second bottom team in the championship will then have to wait 2 weeks after their season has finished. I like the statement though essentially piling on the pressure for the SPFL to do what is right to get this done after shitting all over the lower leagues for the full of 2021.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What the feck is the point of a 22 game season apart from reducing the number of cash clubs have to pay back to season ticket holders by a couple of games. Should either be 18 or 27 not this split pish.

If you read the statement they have indicated 27 games is not an option. Also the 20 clubs would need to agree. How many do you think would back an 18 game season? 2 or 3 🤷🏼‍♂️. 22 games is obviously the compromise reached

5 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

If you read the statement they have indicated 27 games is not an option. Also the 20 clubs would need to agree. How many do you think would back an 18 game season? 2 or 3 🤷🏼‍♂️. 22 games is obviously the compromise reached

Exactly so if 27 isn't possible  18 games is everyone playing twice and is fair surely?. Why piss about playing another 4 games and all the hassle of who plays home and away. Ludicrous idea. I await any sensible reason why we need to play another 4 games?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Clubs at the bottom will feel as though 22 gives them more chances to reach safety than 18 I expect.  Sounds like its a compromise that few really want but clearly they couldn't reach consensus on 18. 

Rumour I heard was that the 20 were pretty much split 1/3rd wanting 18, 1/3rd wanting 27 and 1/3 wanting null and void.  

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly so if 27 isn't possible  18 games is everyone playing twice and is fair surely?. Why piss about playing another 4 games and all the hassle of who plays home and away. Ludicrous idea. I await any sensible reason why we need to play another 4 games?

Probably because playing more games suits everyone that’s not top of the league or second bottom 🤷🏼‍♂️

The thought of a split playing 4 games and then having playoffs virtually mirroring exactly.what just happened is enough to drive anyone up the wall. If we go have to have this pish better option would be to have the top team after the split promoted and them a playoff of two legs between the second top of league one and the second bottom of the championship. No need to.have a full set of playoffs when you have just had a split. Why do we always have to make things go complex when there are far easier options on the table.

3 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

Probably because playing more games suits everyone that’s not top of the league or second bottom 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's the usual case then of some clubs avoiding the sensible option as it doesn't suit them. Same old bloody story. We're just creating an option that will give some teams an advantage instead of choosing the one that is fair to every side. You couldn't make it up really.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The thought of a split playing 4 games and then having playoffs virtually mirroring exactly.what just happened is enough to drive anyone up the wall. If we go have to have this pish better option would be to have the top team after the split promoted and them a playoff of two legs between the second top of league one and the second bottom of the championship. No need to.have a full set of playoffs when you have just had a split. Why do we always have to make things go complex when there are far easier options on the table.

The problem here is that this hasn’t been decided by the governing bodies, this has been voted for by the clubs. Why would Cove, Thistle, Airdrie etc just agree to that and give up on the chance to win the league and lose 2 playoff places 🤯

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's the usual case then of some clubs avoiding the sensible option as it doesn't suit them. Same old bloody story. We're just creating an option that will give some teams an advantage instead of choosing the one that is fair to every side. You couldn't make it up really.

Obviously yes. If we were 3 points behind do you think we’d want to play 18 games or 22? Until we get people running our game properly then clubs will always vote for what is best for them.

22 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

The problem here is that this hasn’t been decided by the governing bodies, this has been voted for by the clubs. Why would Cove, Thistle, Airdrie etc just agree to that and give up on the chance to win the league and lose 2 playoff places 🤯

Cove are only 2 points behind. If we were 3 points behind I wouldn't give a feck either. Every chance we or cove could be further behind after 22 games than 18. You might as well say let's keep playing until a certain team is top and then call the league . Ludicrous stuff.

Having had the chance to right the unbalance of playing teams twice at home and once away and vice versa it's typical of Scottish football that we'll create a setup where that's back in the picture. Honestly.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Balls to the wall mentality  needed on and off the park as soon as we are back.

Get that loan market used to its fullest extent - Mochrie from United and Cochrane from hearts come to mind straight away.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

No, just like has been the case for over 20 years of the top flight split. This is something that literally happened to Falkirk too, back in 2006/07, when you finished 7th despite having more points than Hibs in 6th.

I understand the top leagues split but this has been planned on the back of a fag packet. The split for me works in the top league, saved our season a few times.

The 22 game plan is the equivalent of double or quits.

I am struggling to figure out who voted for 22 in our league, it's in their own hands where they can finish without another mini league and the cost of testing for four more games

* Patrick the only club I'd guess would want 22 games, Clyde fitting in 10 games or 14 makes it a no brainer

Edited by MrDust

34 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I understand the top leagues split but this has been planned on the back of a fag packet. The split for me works in the top league, saved our season a few times.

The 22 game plan is the equivalent of double or quits.

I am struggling to figure out who voted for 22 in our league, it's in their own hands where they can finish without another mini league and the cost of testing for four more games

* Patrick the only club I'd guess would want 22 games, Clyde fitting in 10 games or 14 makes it a no brainer

Exactly . Probably forfar too. Although I doubt the full 27 would really keep them up.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

The statement implies that the SPFL have the power to impose what they want and ignore the wishes of their member clubs. 

Over to you Mr Doncaster. Give us the 18 game league that many of us prefer.... 

You're normally in the know completely here but I think it's more of a case of them giving it to the SPFL as a 'can you try get the championship teams to agree to this given how royally you've fucked us this season' I doubt the SPFL will be able to make the final call it'll be up to teams in the championship getting behind it which won't exactly be a walk in the park. The SPFL asked for the ability to make the decisions on these matters at the start of the season and they were rejected by the majority of the clubs.

Therefore the more of a media storm that gets drawn up on this the better as it'll hopefully put more pressure on the championship teams to accept reasonable terms given we've not been playing or training for 3 months but we have to play Scottish Cup ties on the 23rd as our first game back.

Edited by FFC 1876