The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

It was a regular occurrence at most grounds (outside of Ibrox and Parkhead) in the 60`s to see a mass migration from behind one goal up to the other at half time. 

Before my attending days, but if it was a common event, why & when did it phase out?

The last time I can remember it happening was Staineod-era, but am now thinking the league winning back to back home games Ayr & Meadowbank were anomalies.  Don't remember changing ends in those days at Airdrie, Kirkaldy, etc... 

I've already pretty much written off this season. Completing the 27 games is now out of the window and I'm convinced that even an agreement to reduce to 18 games would come with the caveat that no promotion or relegation could take place on essentially half a season's worth of fixtures, so would be completely pointless anyway. Don't see us kicking another ball until August, and even that might be stretch. 

30 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Before my attending days, but if it was a common event, why & when did it phase out?

The last time I can remember it happening was Staineod-era, but am now thinking the league winning back to back home games Ayr & Meadowbank were anomalies.  Don't remember changing ends in those days at Airdrie, Kirkaldy, etc... 

I remember being at a game vs Killie at Briockville in the 80’s - I was about 10.

They done the swapping ends at half time and a fight broke out - I remember it because my dad commented on them being just like Glaswegians. 
Incidents like that probably contributed to it being phased out.

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I remember being at a game vs Killie at Briockville in the 80’s - I was about 10.

They done the swapping ends at half time and a fight broke out - I remember it because my dad commented on them being just like Glaswegians. 

Ah Briockville - wonderful hamburger rolls if I 'member right

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They're not interested in anyone below the championship. Their blatant disregard for the plans put forward by league one and two clubs emphasised that.  Spending their time agreeing new loan deals for the top flight who get to play every week whilst doing absolutely nothing for leagues one and two.

They wouldn't be interested in the Championship either if Hearts weren't there and say, Hamilton or County were.  

They know the fucked up calling the leagues and promoting and relegating from the Premiership and Championship so they're appeasing Hearts.  They would be able to exert enough pressure on the SPFL to keep the Championship going

59 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Can mind of going over the barrier at the front & walking along the park to swap ends. Would be late 70's early 80's.

We have 16 games left to play. 2 games a week from the start of March is achievable. Any further delay beyond that or a raft of postponements and I'd think they would have to shorten the season or null and void.

That leaves no contingency, which would be madness in a Covid world. Surely the only option now is 18 games, with playoffs taking place only if the league is not further hampered with suspension?…

3 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

It's like they are actually trying to kill off some of the lower league teams. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

They wouldn't be interested in the Championship either if Hearts weren't there and say, Hamilton or County were.  

They know the fucked up calling the leagues and promoting and relegating from the Premiership and Championship so they're appeasing Hearts.  They would be able to exert enough pressure on the SPFL to keep the Championship going

This is a reasonable summary of what seems to be going on...the powers that be have decided that its time to thin the herd. As TheScarf notes, Hearts in the Championship may well be the only reason it's still going on. Look at the allocation of the money's the SG provided to see exactly what the SPFL are thinking. If I had to bet, I would say that three leagues of 12 teams would be the long-term goal, with colt teams making up most of the lowest level. That would require the lose of around 14 to 16 current league teams.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

We have 16 games left to play. 2 games a week from the start of March is achievable. Any further delay beyond that or a raft of postponements and I'd think they would have to shorten the season or null and void.

I expect the restart will be postponed and then canceled, and a null and void will be it. The open question then is who survives.

Provided Livingston are one of the culled outfits, it might be a price worth paying.
Mind you, a decade or so ago, they and two or three others were the stand out crooks. Now that the governing body are joining the “no we ain’t straight, but who cares enough to stop us” brigade, they might be getting close to a critical mass situation.