The Falkirk FC Thread

I hate to butt in on the Martindale distraction.   More importantly, I believe the league will not be re-started.  By the time the authorities decide it's safe to restart it will be too late, some time in March/April I'm guessing.  Yes it appears the R number is coming down but as soon as the lockdown is eased it will go back up again.  There is no good solution to this.

So, if that were the case, what options will there be?    Void the league?   Call the league as it is, i.e. Falkirk win (highly unlikely)  or what? 

21 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I hate to butt in on the Martindale distraction.   More importantly, I believe the league will not be re-started.  By the time the authorities decide it's safe to restart it will be too late, some time in March/April I'm guessing.  Yes it appears the R number is coming down but as soon as the lockdown is eased it will go back up again.  There is no good solution to this.

So, if that were the case, what options will there be?    Void the league?   Call the league as it is, i.e. Falkirk win (highly unlikely)  or what? 

Why can't our league continue into Summer? 

Martindale was sentenced to six and a half years in jail for his part in a cocaine ring. He was installed in Livingston around 2012 by a “third party” who has never been named. His role was never defined. Whoever the third party was, they call the shots.
He might have been there before Mark Burchill was appointed manager, but not too sure. I do remember the Livingston “owners” avoiding questions about what a convicted drugs dealer was doing in the club.

15 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

He was installed in Livingston around 2012 by a “third party” who has never been named. His role was never defined. Whoever the third party was, they call the shots..

So who do you think the third party is?

Genuinely no idea. Wouldn’t imagine the ex Cowdenbeath guy who was forced out, or the likes of Neil Rankine. There was a real sense at the time that it was someone who could not be paper trailed as being part of the club.
This is a club that probably hasn’t had a straight day since it came into existence.

27 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Genuinely no idea. Wouldn’t imagine the ex Cowdenbeath guy who was forced out, or the likes of Neil Rankine. There was a real sense at the time that it was someone who could not be paper trailed as being part of the club.
This is a club that probably hasn’t had a straight day since it came into existence.

Did they not clean out a rather gullible lottery winner some years ago?

24 minutes ago, Trump said:

Hadn’t been on this thread in 24 hours but it’s good to see after the initial good natured joke suggestion about wanting Martindale in as manager, some people genuinely debating it like it is an option to us. Never change, Falkirk fans.

Bantabairn was not making a joke. Others realised the sillyness of it and made it a joke, but the initial question was serious.

https://taleoftwohalves.uk/featured/lottery-winning-football-fan-became-penniless

One of Scotland’s most famous lottery winners eventually went broke after investing in Livingston FC. John McGuinness won £10m in 1997 on the National Lottery. It was a life-changing sum of money and he quickly decided to invest £4m of the cash into Livingston Football Club...

Almost stopped reading right there. 

Was he not an adult and decided to invest?

He was indeed, but not the smartest. Keane spun endless lies around the guy until they had cleaned him out. As mentioned above, he signed off documents as guarantor for future debt, and simply didn’t understand what was going on.
Their first admin debt would have been £16 million but for McGuinness having to pay £4 million of it.

7 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I kept my post general to avoid inaccuracy in my understanding of what happened. The author of that didn't bother.

On 21/01/2021 at 20:16, ebobsboy said:

Was Martindale not initially a coach when he first came in after his jail spell when Hopkin was manager? I thought it strange at the time that a professional football club would have anything to do with someone who had served time, but livi have had their fair share of crooks.  Over time he's gradually ingratiated to be where he is now, and it would just be like Scottish football that he gets the nod on Tuesday to keep his gig despite being a convicted felon while Doncaster and the rest of the shite houses don't bat an eyelid. 

He started off as a volunteer, worked at Broxburn as a coach for a bit. He came to us as a volunteer doing odds jobs around the stadium and picking up cones and balls at training sessions.

Only reason he was elevated to a coach at Livi was that we didn't have a lot of money and he was friends with Burchill having known each other growing up. Basically an old pals act for him off Burchill. 

Hopkin got the job after being assistant manager and must've agreed with DM on a lot of things as he moved him up to head of recruitment and assistant manager

Watching Arbroath vs Dundee and Ben Williamson looks a very decent player - good spot by [mention=17582]Back Post Misses[/mention]. 

We were offered him and didn’t take a look.

TBF it was someone who knows what is kicking about at these sort of age groups whose judgement I really trust told me about him. The other he has told me about is a lad called Dylan Patterson. Number 10 ex Rangers and Dundee Utd who lost his way a bit but is now sticking out like a sore thumb at Bo’ness. Lots of teams looking at him. We told about him but didn’t even take a look at him in training for a week despite the lad not working. Was Alloa bound pre lockdown I believe.

Hopefully Holt sorts these blind spots out.