Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, MS RR said:

See the sheer stupidity of some of our fans is unbelievable, do you actually believe Gary Holt is the next coming for Falkirk? I was not a fan of him at all when he was with Falkirk before. Gary Deans is completely clueless, I can't believe anyone has faith in him. 

 

There's a list of players which highlight Pressley's credentials in player recruitment. But maybe you'd rather the calibre of player we currently have. 

I don't think anybody is making Holt out to be some form of saviour however he has excellent credentials based on his involvement in one of the most promising youth set ups in England and a steady career in management (even if relatively short) which would have allowed him the opportunity to form connections will people both north and south of the border.

Pressley is a no go, he has achieved very little and has never left any other managerial role in a good light. You mentioned Jefferies, would this be the same Jefferies that Gary Deans approached regarding the DoF role before he decided to go back to Hearts? 

Gary Deans won't have a magic wand but given what we have seen over the last year he has certainly steadied the ship, attracted substantial external investment and provides transparency that we haven't seen from the club in the last decade. What is so "clueless" about his performance to date? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MS RR said:

See the sheer stupidity of some of our fans is unbelievable, do you actually believe Gary Holt is the next coming for Falkirk? I was not a fan of him at all when he was with Falkirk before. Gary Deans is completely clueless, I can't believe anyone has faith in him. 

 

There's a list of players which highlight Pressley's credentials in player recruitment. But maybe you'd rather the calibre of player we currently have. 

I've got a soft spot for Polmont, having grown up there but you have gone off the deep end my friend.  I have probably seen the same media and print appearances of Gary Deans as you have and if from that you have that very negative opinion of him then you have no judgement when it comes to people.  Also, I agree Gary Holt was not a good manager for us, but to get him now as DoF in the 3rd division is a statement of ambition for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Maverick_- said:

Are we seriously suggesting that Pressley didn't recruit better than Holt? I'm afraid Holt found his style when he brought in big Beck and it was hoof ball. He's continued that at Livi and I'm sure he will take it here. Our team is drivel at best atm so we will need a large turnover. Guys like Farid, Vaulks, Leahy and Miller were discovered by Pressley, not to mention all the young players he brought through, which brought money in that effectively saved our club. The football was also probably considerably better than anything we've seen since. The pride you feel when your own youngsters are beating Rangers and making national semi finals can't be beaten by anything, especially not bottling a league title with the best squad in the league by a mile like Holt did. I can understand the hesitance towards Pressley because of his management history after Falkirk, however looking at what he done for us as a manager, I would think a DOF role would suit him perfectly.

and where did Pressley's wonderful signings get us over the course of 3 season? 3rd, 3rd and.....3rd. 

Holt also got us 3rd. However he got us to the last game of the season with something to play for. Not saying he was great but he was certainly not a failure and to criticise his style of play is fair enough but to be totally honest it is no worse than what we have been subject to since (excluding 18 months of good football from Houstie's team).

Pressley was forced to use youth. He struck gold when it turned out they were actually half decent and played out their skin for him because that is what you do when you make you break through as a professional. Combinations of this was what gave Pressley a lot more credit than he should have got.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a utter piece of shite. 


Rather than simply dismissing this view as shite, I think I would wait and see what results are delivered. I actually agree with bits of this.

1. GD is very skilled at saying the right things. His only measurable success so far is delivering Rawlins, which I think could be superb for the club and maybe all he needs to do. There have been a good few mistakes to go with this.

2. Gary Holt has had four jobs in football post playing and has walked out on all 4. I was never that keen on him as a manager. Better than Jefferies mind you

3. Pressley for me would have been a better option than Holt IMO but he probably still sees himself as a manager.

We are still in Division 3. The Board nailed their colours to the M&M mast last night saying they are the guys to take us to the Premiership. IMO Holt will have to earn his corn big time for them to be even remotely capable of that on the evidence of the last 15 months.

Holt is now in place and he gets my backing and I hope he turns things around, that extra bit of football knowledge it is most certainly required.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Farid, Lyle Taylor, Will Vaulks, Mark Millar, Michael Mcgovern, Kallum Higginbotham. Pressley could identify a player.

We only got 6 months of decent football from higginbottom the rest of the time he was crap. Millar was awful the first season too.There's a list about 3 times longer than that full of utter dross. It was his agent John colqoun at the time that discovered most of the decent ones anyway not Pressley. 

Pressley the guy who fell out with Neil McCann and forced the bod to.give him a generous payoff rather than just run the last few months of his contract out.costing the club a fortune when things were tight as it was.

Edited by Shadwell Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont know who this MS RR chap is, but I would have to say I was one who had reservations about Gary Dean's for as long as the tea and scones committee were in charge, having felt like BPM said, that clever sabre rattling was all we had seen from him.

However, since then, Rawlins and Holt are the big things that have happened and obviously he played a role in both. Unsure how much tbh but he is the chairman, so with no benefit of hindsight as yet, I have to say Rawlins is a job well done and Holt I think is a reasonably understandable appointment. I think he would have had little problem getting another management job so I like to think he has bought into the brief he was pitched to come back to us.

Hes a young guy, not one of yer dinosaurs or one of the Sportsound lads club like McCann for example.

If these are signs of Gary Deans vision for the club, and that he has gone and made them happen with little fuss or cringey leaks beforehand then I will say that at this point I am fairly impressed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We only got 6 months of decent football from higginbottom the rest of the time he was crap. Millar was awful the first season too.There's a list about 3 times longer than that full of utter dross. It was his agent John colqoun at the time that discovered most of the decent ones anyway not Pressley. 

Pressley the guy who fell out with Neil McCann and forced the bod to.give him a generous payoff rather than just run the last few months of his contract out.costing the club a fortune when things were tight as it was.

Decent football were you watching the games that season? Higginbotham tore the league up for the first 6months and we weren't the same when he left at the end of January. Millar was a youth player who was still finding his feet inconsistency was expected in the first year. He was a stand out the season after and hence earned his 3 year deal with Dundee United the following summer. Everyone is going to get signings wrong not every signing will work. Pressley managed to bring in the better of the ones that have worked over the years with Taylor, Higginbotham and Vaulks earning us transfer fee's. He even managed to make money out of Mark Stewart!

Edited by FFC 1876
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Decent football were you watching the games that season? Higginbotham tore the league up for the first 6months. We weren't the same when he left at the end of January. Millar was a youth player who was still finding his feet inconsistency was expected in the first year. He was a stand out the season after and hence earned his 3 year deal with Dundee United the following summer. Everyone is going to get signings wrong not every signing will work. Pressley managed to bring in the better of the ones that have worked over the years with Taylor, Higginbotham and Vaulks earning us transfer fee's. He even managed to make money out of Mark Stewart!

Top managers get the vast majority  of their signings right. If you sign more donkeys than gems you are  never going to get anywhere which is why Pressley is unemployed. He signed at least two duds for every decent signing you're never going to challenge for a league title with that sort of ratio. Millar was 22 when he joined us hardly a youth player in anyone's book. Higginbottom was dugshit the first season. Played well till January the next season and then  fecked off.  The fact that both Millar and Higginbottom were utterly dreadful that first season down meant we had no chance of going back up when we actually had a decent budget. He signed around 27 players in his time at the club  and you've highlighted the handful that were decent.  When you look at the Jeffries and McCall eras , even Totten's, the  last couple of years apart the number of crap signing was few and far between. With Pressley it's the other way round. He ended up having to rely on the youths Eddie may was producing as his own signings were complete dross in the main.

Edited by Shadwell Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

and where did Pressley's wonderful signings get us over the course of 3 season? 3rd, 3rd and.....3rd. 

Holt also got us 3rd. However he got us to the last game of the season with something to play for. Not saying he was great but he was certainly not a failure and to criticise his style of play is fair enough but to be totally honest it is no worse than what we have been subject to since (excluding 18 months of good football from Houstie's team).

Pressley was forced to use youth. He struck gold when it turned out they were actually half decent and played out their skin for him because that is what you do when you make you break through as a professional. Combinations of this was what gave Pressley a lot more credit than he should have got.

A lot of managers would have just sat in and hoped for the best with young players. Pressley from the beginning tried to play football. And in doing so, he put the young players on the shop window, it was brave and it played off. A team with an average age of 19 finishing 3rd, reaching a semi final and winning a trophy was a great achievement. It's fairly annoying how dismissive some of our fans are about Pressley. Falkirk were a club with style and he adhered to that. I'm not sure any manager since has in all honesty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Top managers get the vast majority  of their signings right. If you sign more donkeys than gems you are  never going to get anywhere which is why Pressley is unemployed. He signed at least two duds for every decent signing you're never going to challenge for a league title with that sort of ratio. Millar was 22 when he joined us hardly a youth player in anyone's book. Higginbottom was dugshit the first season. Played well till January the next season and then  fecked off.  The fact that both Millar and Higginbottom were utterly dreadful that first season down meant we had no chance of going back up when we actually had a decent budget. He signed around 27 players in his time at the club  and you've highlighted the handful that were decent.  When you look at the Jeffries and McCall eras , even Totten's last couple of years apart the number of crap signing was few and far between. With Pressley it's the other way round. He ended up having to rely on the youths Eddie may was producing as his own signings were complete dross in the main.

Mark Millar had just came out of the Celtic youth team to sign for us with his only other first team experience being a 6month spell in Hungary he was very much a youth player finding his feet. Compare Pressleys signings to any of the managers that have took us since did any get it better than him? He was forced to work with the the academy players we had but in my opinion he done wonders with them. We continously hear of people with contacts in the game, he utilised his and you're trying to then not give him the credit for it by saying the players were all his agents finds?

We are ultimately a selling club and our ethos should be to sign young promising players that we can develop and sell on at the right times in order to give our club success on and off the park. Pressley managed to work with our existing academy players to make them better than they were and also bring in a handful of players aswell which we sold on bringing in the club a very good amount of money in return. 

Edited by FFC 1876
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Maverick_- said:

A lot of managers would have just sat in and hoped for the best with young players. Pressley from the beginning tried to play football. And in doing so, he put the young players on the shop window, it was brave and it played off. A team with an average age of 19 finishing 3rd, reaching a semi final and winning a trophy was a great achievement. It's fairly annoying how dismissive some of our fans are about Pressley. Falkirk were a club with style and he adhered to that. I'm not sure any manager since has in all honesty.

He was forced into playing youngsters because of the dross he was signing.  2012/13 Andy Haworth was supposed to be a  major signing and hardly played a game. Chris Smith and Iain Flannigan the same.  Robbie Nelson, Ryan mcgeever and Johnny flynn were some of the other crap.  One gem was Lyle Taylor but when you've signed so much other crap that season Pele wouldn't help you get promoted.

And just because the signings made by Hartley and McKinnon and to a certain extent Houston were even worse doesn't make Pressley some kind of star recruiter. The vast majority of his signings stunk .  A jack ross.or an Alex Neil would've got us competing for titles even on.a tight budget. In fact with the standard of young player coming through anyone with a half decent recruitment record could've had us right up there. It was a huge opportunity missed due to having a complete dumpling as the manager as Coventry, Fleetwood and Carlisle have found out since.

Edited by Shadwell Dog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maverick_- said:

 I can understand the hesitance towards Pressley because of his management history after Falkirk, however looking at what he done for us as a manager, I would think a DOF role would suit him perfectly.

Do you really think Pressley would lower himself to be the DOF at a 3rd tier side, he'd not take that job at a side in the Premiership unless it was at a "big club".

He still sees himself as a "top manager" and will be waiting for Celtic or Rangers to call, he will still be waiting when he is 70 but in his own deluded mind they will one day, despite his awful record after Falkirk.

I doubt he will ever work for a club in Scottish football ever again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, realmadrid said:

Do you really think Pressley would lower himself to be the DOF at a 3rd tier side, he'd not take that job at a side in the Premiership unless it was at a "big club".

He still sees himself as a "top manager" and will be waiting for Celtic or Rangers to call, he will still be waiting when he is 70 but in his own deluded mind they will one day, despite his awful record after Falkirk.

I doubt he will ever work for a club in Scottish football ever again.

Spot on. The guy has massive delusions of grandeur.  Still thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread even though he has an awful management record. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Do you really think Pressley would lower himself to be the DOF at a 3rd tier side, he'd not take that job at a side in the Premiership unless it was at a "big club".

He still sees himself as a "top manager" and will be waiting for Celtic or Rangers to call, he will still be waiting when he is 70 but in his own deluded mind they will one day, despite his awful record after Falkirk.

I doubt he will ever work for a club in Scottish football ever again.

I'm not saying he would. The argument I was seeing was that MSRR was a moron for suggesting Pressley would be a better bet than Holt for this role. I was talking hypothetically, I'm aware he more than likely is still delusional enough to think he can get a premiership gig. His record after Falkirk is indefensible, I'm purely talking about what he done for us. Which I believe is massively underestimated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Ok, maybe over zealous with it all being utter shite, but its all about opinions.

Let’s not be fooled without GD and the new directors and the Rawlins new investment , our future existence would have been very much at risk. They’ve backed M&M ( who wouldn’t sitting top of the league) but like us know that we have not performed.

M&M will know that delivery of the title will keep their jobs, failure will see then move on.

Yeah so I wasn't talking shite then, maybe have a think before you compose a message 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:


This epitomises the pathetic leadership of our authorities. What a shambles;

Scottish Premiership: St Mirren & Kilmarnock win forfeit appeal

Another Doncaster spfl  feckup. How many before they'll get shot of this clown and his associates?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maverick_- said:

A lot of managers would have just sat in and hoped for the best with young players. Pressley from the beginning tried to play football. And in doing so, he put the young players on the shop window, it was brave and it played off. A team with an average age of 19 finishing 3rd, reaching a semi final and winning a trophy was a great achievement. It's fairly annoying how dismissive some of our fans are about Pressley. Falkirk were a club with style and he adhered to that. I'm not sure any manager since has in all honesty.

Say what now? Pressley started every game with the attitude they had won a point and needed it protected. 

 

The game that should have seen him sacked - 9/2/13 Cowdenbeath 4 - 1 Falkirk. We thumped them 4-0 in April after Pressley left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...