The Falkirk FC Thread

11 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Reilly was offered a contract by Ross. Ross left and Stubbs then took that contract off the table supposedly although he disputes that ,and so Reilly left. 

The Arbroath game is still important imho as a win gets the confidence up at least. Another defeat and it's not going to help get us ready for Montrose. I agree though I doubt they will leave after Saturday whilst we are still top of the league.

I know the point has been made to death but just seeing Arbroath and Montrose as important/big games for us is so very depressing.

Getting out of this league should not be a celebration , just a huge relief.   

On 05/01/2021 at 22:24, FFC 1876 said:

The best thing about the statement is Martindale admitting he's been pulling the strings for years.

"I've been trying to sign him since he left St Mirren"

Even Alan Stubbs realised he wasn't very good and that's saying a lot. That being said god knows who we'll get if Reilly's ending up in the premiership.

Surely you’re not that daft?

Martindale was head of recruitment under Hopkin, when he stepped up to assistant manager. He was in charge of scouting and identifying players that would come in, so of course he’s been trying to sign him 

The game will likely be off looking at the forecast.

That will give M&M extra time to practice which of the defenders can hoof 60 yard diagonals the best for the Montrose game.

9 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

These past few years has been awash with rubbish players, rubbish managers, rubbish board members. You’d be hard pushed to find any aspect of the club that hasn’t been rubbish.

100% this.... its not as if we've ever been 'gifted' with any great joy..but we've had glimpses of "sunshine" over the past 20 years to keep believing...whether it be cup runs or promotions(or even play offs even if unsuccessful).  However the past 3-4 years have just been endless sh*te - again i know thats football for you but it can be depressing sometimes...

To me the big thing is the players...its been a few years since I've seen a player in a Falkirk shirt who I would pay money to watch every week.   If you were a wee laddie supporting Falkirk at the moment and yer maw asked you whose name you wanted on the back of yer Falkirk replica top....who the f*ck would you choose in the past couple of years?...McManus last year but he wasnt even ours!   

We've been blessed with some amazing flair players over the years...and even a few cult(yes correct spelling) figures who might not have been skilled but could put the effort in and we loved them for it... both those type of players are arguably exactly what fans want.....someone who can wow you from the stand or someone who makes you believe they are as passionate about the club as you are.....Maybe I'm being harsh but I'd struggle to name anyone from our current team that fits either of those categories

1 hour ago, fuzzydunlop said:

100% this.... its not as if we've ever been 'gifted' with any great joy..but we've had glimpses of "sunshine" over the past 20 years to keep believing...whether it be cup runs or promotions(or even play offs even if unsuccessful).  However the past 3-4 years have just been endless sh*te - again i know thats football for you but it can be depressing sometimes...

To me the big thing is the players...its been a few years since I've seen a player in a Falkirk shirt who I would pay money to watch every week.   If you were a wee laddie supporting Falkirk at the moment and yer maw asked you whose name you wanted on the back of yer Falkirk replica top....who the f*ck would you choose in the past couple of years?...McManus last year but he wasnt even ours!   

We've been blessed with some amazing flair players over the years...and even a few cult(yes correct spelling) figures who might not have been skilled but could put the effort in and we loved them for it... both those type of players are arguably exactly what fans want.....someone who can wow you from the stand or someone who makes you believe they are as passionate about the club as you are.....Maybe I'm being harsh but I'd struggle to name anyone from our current team that fits either of those categories

Totally agree and what I was saying earlier. We’ve always had our fair share of average-poor-hopeless players but the good ones or cult ones always brighten the place up. Hardly anything since 2017 though (maybe even 2016).

3 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

Was always going to happen with such a big turnover of players constantly.  Usually you get a few players that are at the club over at least a couple of years and there is a little bit of continuity. They grow to have at least a wee bit of affection for the place and can instill this in the players around them some what.  We're changing players every season due to dross recruitment and the ones that are being kept on have feck all attachment to the place and in the main have been really poor anyway. Guys like telfer and sammon are hardly going to rile up the troops like a vaulks, Kerr, Mackenzie,baptie, Nicholls of days gone by. It's bad enough watching a shit team but it's worse watching a shit team that also doesn't give a feck.

So I’ve went back and from summer 2018 until now we have signed the following:

Patrick Brough
Prince Buaben
Harry Burgoyne
Tom Dallison
Paul Dixon
Mustapha Dumbuya
Leo Fasan
Dimitris Froxylias
Rees Greenwood
Marcus Haber
Scott Harrison
Andy Irving
Aaron Jarvis
Davis Keillor-Dunn
Dennon Lewis
Dylan Mackin
Ross Maclean
Ciaran McKenna
Ian McShane
Abdul Osman
Tom Owen-Evans
Paul Paton
Deimantas Petravicius
Zak Rudden
Mark Russell
Ruben Sammut
Nikolay Todorov
Dan Turner
Mark Waddington
Cammy Bell
Gregor Buchanan
Aidan Connolly
Rafa De Vita
Mikey Doyle
Mark Durnan
Callum Ferrie
Morgaro Gomis
Ben Hall
Denny Johnstone
Robbie Leitch
Louis Longridge
Declan McManus
Gary Miller
David McMillan
Lewis Moore
Conor Sammon
Charlie Telfer
Michael Tidser
Josh Todd
Lewis Toshney
Blair Alston
Euan Devaney
Anton Dowds
Akeel Francis
Aidan Keena
Shaun Kelly
Scott Mercer
PJ Morrison
Callumn Morrison
Blair Sneddon

That’s 60 players there which Id say at least 50 of them have been failures. Genuinely some skill to get player recruitment so horribly wrong over such a period of time and under 4 different managers but even managed it.

15 hours ago, oot_the_loop said:

If we don't have anyone to play wide left mid, pick a formation that doesnt require one.  Given the same turgid pish we've seen last few weeks and the somewhat 'free hit' nature of a cup tie against higher league opposition, surely now is the time to try something at least a wee bit different?  For what its worth, I reckon we have the players to try a 4-3-3, and I'd honestly like to see what Durnan can do in next to Dixon.

Mutch

Miller Durnan Dixon Kelly

Alston Gomis Telfer

Morrison Keena Francis

I agree would drop Hall for Durnan for this one.  Agree with the rest too other than Francis, we should use Sat to give Miller as many mins as he can last.  Can see us needing him over the next few weeks if we don't bring anyone in.  

30 minutes ago, Russ said:

Patrick Brough
Prince Buaben
Harry Burgoyne
Tom Dallison
Paul Dixon
Mustapha Dumbuya
Leo Fasan
Dimitris Froxylias
Rees Greenwood
Marcus Haber
Scott Harrison
Andy Irving
Aaron Jarvis
Davis Keillor-Dunn
Dennon Lewis
Dylan Mackin
Ross Maclean
Ciaran McKenna
Ian McShane
Abdul Osman
Tom Owen-Evans
Paul Paton
Deimantas Petravicius
Zak Rudden
Mark Russell
Ruben Sammut
Nikolay Todorov
Dan Turner
Mark Waddington
Cammy Bell
Gregor Buchanan
Aidan Connolly
Rafa De Vita
Mikey Doyle
Mark Durnan
Callum Ferrie
Morgaro Gomis
Ben Hall
Denny Johnstone
Robbie Leitch
Louis Longridge
Declan McManus
Gary Miller
David McMillan
Lewis Moore
Conor Sammon
Charlie Telfer
Michael Tidser
Josh Todd
Lewis Toshney
Blair Alston
Euan Devaney
Anton Dowds
Akeel Francis
Aidan Keena
Shaun Kelly
Scott Mercer
PJ Morrison
Callumn Morrison
Blair Sneddon

That’s 60 players there which Id say at least 50 of them have been failures. Genuinely some skill to get player recruitment so horribly wrong over such a period of time and under 4 different managers but even managed it.

Thanks for the list. A few hovering around pass marks but of that list, only McManus, Rudden, Burgoyne, Gomis and Dixon (eventually) have been good signings. Longridge and Keillor- Dunn could make a case. Connolly and C Morrison hovering at pass marks. A few bang on average and the rest awful. 

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Patrick Brough
Prince Buaben
Harry Burgoyne
Tom Dallison
Paul Dixon
Mustapha Dumbuya
Leo Fasan
Dimitris Froxylias
Rees Greenwood
Marcus Haber
Scott Harrison
Andy Irving
Aaron Jarvis
Davis Keillor-Dunn
Dennon Lewis
Dylan Mackin
Ross Maclean
Ciaran McKenna
Ian McShane
Abdul Osman
Tom Owen-Evans
Paul Paton
Deimantas Petravicius
Zak Rudden
Mark Russell
Ruben Sammut
Nikolay Todorov
Dan Turner
Mark Waddington
Cammy Bell
Gregor Buchanan
Aidan Connolly
Rafa De Vita
Mikey Doyle
Mark Durnan
Callum Ferrie
Morgaro Gomis
Ben Hall
Denny Johnstone
Robbie Leitch
Louis Longridge
Declan McManus
Gary Miller
David McMillan
Lewis Moore
Conor Sammon
Charlie Telfer
Michael Tidser
Josh Todd
Lewis Toshney
Blair Alston
Euan Devaney
Anton Dowds
Akeel Francis
Aidan Keena
Shaun Kelly
Scott Mercer
PJ Morrison
Callumn Morrison
Blair Sneddon

Those highlighted are the only ones that I would even consider now and that's as members of a squad, not necessarily as starters. All with the benefit of hindsight of course.

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Those highlighted are the only ones that I would even consider now and that's as members of a squad, not necessarily as starters. All with the benefit of hindsight of course.

Curious as to why Keena has been highlighted. There seems to be some sort of feeling on here that he will be the saving grace when (if) he returns from injury - given he’s not even played a full competitive game for us yet, what is that really being based on?

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

A couple on that list are the worst I've ever seen. Fasan in particular is the single worst full time footballer of all time.

He had that game against QotS where he kept the score down. Still awful but it’s always Haber and Lewis, followed by Dallison and Sammut that are my most loathed players from that time. Brough wasn’t too bad as a squad player and Harrison tried manfully but was poor. I remember getting behind early Mackinnon with that squad and he made a fist of it in that spell between his appointment and the window and getting rid of so many!

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven