The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

We were extremely fortunate to get a draw at Raith in that last Kirkcaldy fixture between the clubs. I don’t understand why that is the result that people are pointing at that cost is when we actually got out of jail that night by getting a point having been outplayed for 70 mins.
Look at the failure to hold onto a two goal lead in the earlier game at Raith under McKinnon or our failures against Airdrie or Clyde if you want to talk about our failures last season. Those are what really cost us....

We set up for a draw in that game that was the problem . One man up.front and miller and gomis in the missle.Once they went ahead the game plan changed  miller was flung on for gomis and we were the better side. If we'd started like that we may have won the game instead of scraping a draw but we went in to it trying not to lose not trying to win.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is a season where we simply cannot take chances, so you have to weight up what is the bigger risk? Keeping on two guys in their first gig who had a chance to get us out of this league already and failed, and are currently presiding over a poor run of form and some really shit performances, or getting a process started to identify someone who can do better?

We can all have out opinions on that, but that's the stark choice in front of us. All I would say is we failed in the crucial moments last season, and the last three weeks have represented crucial moments, none more so that the Partick game and we failed.

So who will guarantee success ?

M&M record versus Raith in their management time was better over that period, failure was due to covid and Ray.

36 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The point about Keena was nowt to do with him being injury prone and all to do with the fact that we're desperate for him to come back because Francis and dowds are so poor. 

Widely mentioned on social media by a couple of punters is just as likely to be complete tosh as anything else.

Social media ?

Sean Kelly being Roberta Carlos ?

Putting the challenge cup game aside where we played a reserve side that were never going to win considering how pish our first 11 was McKinnon had one draw against Raith and m and m had two draws.  Pretty dreadful records all round considering raiths much smaller budget. We all.slagged off john mcglynn but he's like bielsa compared to the clowns we've had in charge.  His recruitment is on a different level.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

We set up for a draw in that game that was the problem . One man up.front and miller and gomis in the missle.Once they went ahead the game plan changed  miller was flung on for gomis and we were the better side. If we'd started like that we may have won the game instead of scraping a draw but we went in to it trying not to lose not trying to win.

Agree that we were set up too defensively but I am not convinced that’s a game we should have expected to win.
I remember coming home from that game gutted about the shot over the bar from Miller but being happy that we had a point and we were in the driving seat again with a home game to come against them.
I don’t think I was thinking that we blew the league until COVID full impact caught up with us. Few could have foreseen tbat....

12 minutes ago, MrDust said:

M&M record versus Raith in their management time was better over that period, failure was due to covid and Ray.

Was Ray in charge in February when we went to Stair Park, played horribly and dropped two points to a Stranraer side bottom of the table and with three league wins to their name? Or when we followed that up with our customary defeat at Broadwood? Or went to Starks Park petrified of a mediocre Raith Rovers and extremely fortunate to take a point? Improve on even one of these results and we would now be a Championship club. This myth that a global pandemic leading to the curtailment of the season has somehow cruelly denied us of our inevitable, rightful promotion is repeated ad nauseum on here with absolutely nothing whatsoever to back it up. An out-and-out falsehood.

On 05/03/2020 at 12:50, Gaz said:

I was sceptical at the time of appointing Miller and McCracken. I want them to do well but appointing two rookie managers in a very important season was always going to be a risk. Now the new manager bounce has well and truly finished, we don't look any better than we did earlier in the season. I'm worried.

Absolutely standing by this.

We are at the top of this league in spite of M&M, not because of them.

6 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Was Ray in charge in February when we went to Stair Park, played horribly and dropped two points to a Stranraer side bottom of the table and with three league wins to their name? Or when we followed that up with our customary defeat at Broadwood? Or went to Starks Park petrified of a mediocre Raith Rovers and extremely fortunate to take a point? Improve on even one of these results and we would now be a Championship club. This myth that a global pandemic leading to the curtailment of the season has somehow cruelly denied us of our inevitable, rightful promotion is repeated ad nauseum on here with absolutely nothing whatsoever to back it up. An out-and-out falsehood.

Ray was in charge when we dropped out the play off positions tho....

12 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Agree that we were set up too defensively but I am not convinced that’s a game we should have expected to win.
I remember coming home from that game gutted about the shot over the bar from Miller but being happy that we had a point and we were in the driving seat again with a home game to come against them.
I don’t think I was thinking that we blew the league until COVID full impact caught up with us. Few could have foreseen tbat....

It's Raith rovers for goodness sake. We should be going their confident of taking 3 points and being disappointed if we come away with anything less.  The fact that last season some people felt a draw at Kirkcaldy was a good result sums up how bad we actually were.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Who signed the players that got us to the top of the league?....

Signings Morrison apart have been dross.  Not one of them otherwise has improved the side and up front we're a million times weaker without McManus who McKinnon signed. Not one of m and m's signings has come close to the success of that one.

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Ray was in charge when we dropped out the play off positions tho..

And? That wasn't your claim. You stated that "failure was due to Ray and Covid." Excluding the supporters, it was a collective failure: players, boardroom, previous management team and the current one. No re-writing or whitewashing of history can change that fact.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Signings Morrison apart have been dross.  Not one of them otherwise has improved the side and up front we're a million times weaker without McManus who McKinnon signed. Not one of m and m's signings has come close to the success of that one.

We still have the strongest squad in L1 though

I’m genuinely not interested in trying to convince you to change position. Your mind has been made up for a long time.
My only question to you is where are we in the table this season and where were we last season under McKinnon?…

7 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Who signed the players that got us to the top of the league?....

Granted, but our status as a full-time club will mean we are naturally able to attract better* players regardless of who is the manager, by virtue of being able to offer more money / longer contracts.

*on paper

Just out of interest, of today's starting eleven, only Mutch, Dixon, Gomis and Sammon were signed prior to M&M. Of the rest (Mercer, Hall, Kelly, Morrison, Alston, Todd and Dowds), which would you say have improved us as a team?

4 minutes ago, AGPar said:

And? That wasn't your claim. You stated that "failure was due to Ray and Covid." Excluding the supporters, it was a collective failure: players, boardroom, previous management team and the current one. No re-writing or whitewashing of history can change that fact.

My claim ?

M&M had a better record versus Raith over the period 

Ray had us out the play off positions 

We are currently top, so they are the problem obviously