The Falkirk FC Thread

As one of the posters says above and completely hits then nail on the head, we simply don’t have time this season to be mucking about. The season is shorter than usual and we’ve now fully opened up this league again to the point half the league can win it realistically. Go back 3 weeks ago tonight and Partick Thistle had just lost at home to Peterhead and we were going into our fixture knowing we could almost write them off. Then, on the Sunday we turn up like it’s an afternoon stroll. For any decent team (managers or players) you’d know exactly what’s at stake and come out like a raging bull and we didn’t. Thinking that may jolt us into life, the following week we end up playing one of our title rivals (main one arguably) who go down to 10 men with over 30 mins to play. Again, you’d think that would make for the last half an hour we would go right at it however as per if you didn’t know the red card had happened you wouldn’t know it was 11 v 10. Absolute no change in urgency or game plan. Today was the same. No urgency, no plan B if plan A doesn’t work. It reeked of Clyde away last season in M & M’s first league defeat. I’d be interested to know in how many games we’ve went behind under M & M and in how many  we’ve came back and taken something. 

36 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I think its the fact that all anyone can come up with is the usual suspects that are on the managerial merry go round that have been sacked elsewhere for their failure.  Off the top of my head i cant think of anyone so it should be a case of advertise the vacancy and see who applies other than that dont dare look at repeating the previous managerial disasters 

Given their excellent relationship with Rawlins both in the UK and USA how about a Tony Pulis (DOF) Anthony Pulis (Head Coach) dream team 😉 

Tony recently unemployed and surely Anthony would jump at the chance to swap Miami for TFS.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

3 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

I’d be interested to know in how many games we’ve went behind under M & M and in how many  we’ve came back and taken something. 

Gone behind in six I think, come back in three to get a draw.. Two games against Raith Rovers last season, 1-1 at home, when we played far better in the second half with ten men. I'd argue that that's possibly as well as we've played under them, Longridge was pushed up close to McManus and the two of them gave their defence all sorts of problems. Inexplicably, that combination was never tried again. Then the away game at Starks in March, when we appeared to believe we were facing some sort of reincarnation of peak-Guardiola Barcelona and scraped the point we had aimed for on the back of a largely terrible performance. Came back from 2-1 down at Firhill at the start of this season to draw 2-2. So three points gained in total from losing positions. As poor a performance as today was against a part-time team, I consider their record against full-time teams a bigger problem. 5 points from 18, and not a single win. Our last win against a full-time team was Ross County on the final day of 18/19. Grim statistics.

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Gone behind in six I think, come back in three to get a draw.. Two games against Raith Rovers last season, 1-1 at home, when we played far better in the second half with ten men. I'd argue that that's possibly as well as we've played under them, Longridge was pushed up close to McManus and the two of them gave their defence all sorts of problems. Inexplicably, that combination was never tried again. Then the away game at Starks in March, when we appeared to believe we were facing some sort of reincarnation of peak-Guardiola Barcelona and scraped the point we had aimed for on the back of a largely terrible performance. Came back from 2-1 down at Firhill at the start of this season to draw 2-2. So three points gained in total from losing positions. As poor a performance as today was against a part-time team, I consider their record against full-time teams a bigger problem. 5 points from 18, and not a single win. Our last win against a full-time team was Ross County on the final day of 18/19. Grim statistics.

That’s slightly better than I thought. I forgot about the Raith games actually last year. The one at the stadium, I fancied us all day long as you say we played pretty well and when it went 10 v 10 I thought we’d win. The record against full time teams is abysmal. 

Clough and Taylor are the two that were the exception. Back to back European Cups would probably be evidence enough.......and the way neither excelled alone.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

"No guaranteed success" is never a reason to stick with a formula. Come on, we are running out of games to be sat in a rut of shite form telling us these guys just need time. 

I've not said it's not right not to stick with current management but we are top of the league, this is their first test and we hit panic button.

So next manager enticement, if you don't win in three games expect the sack ?

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Have you spoken to Petrie like?  How do you know that he isn't interested and rumours don't count. Last year was the most games Connolly played in a while. He normally hovers around the 20 mark. I never said Keena was injury prone  but he's not played much over the past few seasons and I said we wouldn't be missing him so much if we hadn't signed dross like dowds and Francis.

It's been widely mentioned he is happy part time, not winning three games an expect your head to be on the block, 4 managers 3 seasons won't change that.

Keena is only 21 has been at Hearts, zero chance of game time bar loans

10 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Keena has played 29 games in 3 seasons

He's 21 been at Hearts with next to no chance first team football 3 starts there backs that up, I was more interested in his injury record at 21 yr old.

We need another striker in this window and I wouldn't have a problem if Sammon went out, no chance of Francis going out out bar £s to do so 

Guest Brockvillenomore

Let's face facts, M&M have zero experience - and it's showing.  They've been found out after the first round of games, by part time managers working with budgets a fraction of that available to M&M. 

In truth we need to look at the Board for answers. They appointed them. The board itself was appointed (lets not forget) by the remaining members of the MSG and largely in their image.

A Board led by four people with zero experience running a football club, full to the gunnels with accountants & management consultants and a worrying one dimensional skillset.

A Board that still contains Directors who voted to close the academy, select pound shop Kenny Rogers as preferred bidder and appoint McKinnon and Hartley.

There's a pattern here isn't there? A pattern of failure and incompetence. Why are we surprised by this collapse? 

Our only hope seems to be Phil Rawlins, a man with no connection to Falkirk, no knowledge of scottish football and 4,000 miles away. 

Frankly, I'm terrified for the future of my club, we are in serious decline and no number of contrived and rehearsed YouTube videos by our chairman will ease my concern after witnessing that shambles today.

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

I've not said it's not right not to stick with current management but we are top of the league, this is their first test and we hit panic button.

This is a season where we simply cannot take chances, so you have to weight up what is the bigger risk? Keeping on two guys in their first gig who had a chance to get us out of this league already and failed, and are currently presiding over a poor run of form and some really shit performances, or getting a process started to identify someone who can do better?

We can all have out opinions on that, but that's the stark choice in front of us. All I would say is we failed in the crucial moments last season, and the last three weeks have represented crucial moments, none more so that the Partick game and we failed.

2 minutes ago, MrDust said:

So next manager enticement, if you don't win in three games expect the sack ?

It's been widely mentioned he is happy part time, not winning three games an expect your head to be on the block, 4 managers 3 seasons won't change that.

Keena is only 21 has been at Hearts, zero chance of game time bar loans

He's 21 been at Hearts with next to no chance first team football 3 starts there backs that up, I was more interested in his injury record at 21 yr old.

We need another striker in this window and I wouldn't have a problem if Sammon went out, no chance of Francis going out out bar £s to do so 

The point about Keena was nowt to do with him being injury prone and all to do with the fact that we're desperate for him to come back because Francis and dowds are so poor. 

Widely mentioned on social media by a couple of punters is just as likely to be complete tosh as anything else.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is a season where we simply cannot take chances, so you have to weight up what is the bigger risk? Keeping on two guys in their first gig who had a chance to get us out of this league already and failed, and are currently presiding over a poor run of form and some really shit performances, or getting a process started to identify someone who can do better?

We can all have out opinions on that, but that's the stark choice in front of us. All I would say is we failed in the crucial moments last season, and the last three weeks have represented crucial moments, none more so that the Partick game and we failed.

It's hardly their first test either. If they hadn't failed to get 3 points on so many occasions last season we would've gone up. Far too many draws including their draw at all costs tactics at Raith.

It's just dawned on me that there's folk arguing that we cant do any better by hiring an experienced manager to replace two green as grass rookies in charge of a squad which once again, is underachieving based on the "on paper" of the league.

I don’t think it’s anywhere as near as simple as that.
A few weeks ago we were cruising this league under the two rookies and whilst the style of football wasn’t great it was the results that mattered and we were well placed. At that point we were genuinely in a position to cruise this league as I still believe that 55 points wins it comfortably.
The last few weeks the lid has come off and that target has got harder to reach, but, whilst there are clear weaknesses in certain positions, it’s clear on the whole that we DO - with minimal tinkering - have the squad to win the division.
The question therefore is why are we not getting the results, and whilst today was a disaster all over the park, for me the issue has been a drop in standards in certain players.
My point here is this, I don’t think we need to rush to change the team as I don’t think we need - or want - a clear out at this stage, which is what a new manager will probably want. That simply would not work with so few games left of the season as it will take time to get a new team to settle.
My concern right now is that we - yet again - panic into bringing in someone who does not know the players and wants to make wholesale changes. For me, it’s too late for that this season for that so we need to try to get the best out of what we have.
I agree that M&Ms time is running out if we fail against Montrose, but we should not make the change solely to satisfy the transfer window. We should only change if the current team can’t get us back to winning ways in the next couple of weeks and we think there is someone out there that can genuinely do that quickly.
I’m not inspired by Hopkin and our record with managers with no prior track record with the club hasn’t been good at all......

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I don’t think it’s anywhere as near as simple as that.
A few weeks ago we were cruising this league under the two rookies and whilst the style of football wasn’t great it was the results that mattered and we were well placed. At that point we were genuinely in a position to cruise this league as I still believe that 55 points wins it comfortably.
The last few weeks the lid has come off and that target has got harder to reach, but, whilst there are clear weaknesses in certain positions, it’s clear on the whole that we DO - with minimal tinkering - have the squad to win the division.
The question therefore is why are we not getting the results, and whilst today was a disaster all over the park, for me the issue has been a drop in standards in certain players.
My point here is this, I don’t think we need to rush to change the team as I don’t think we need - or want - a clear out at this stage, which is what a new manager will probably want. That simply would not work with so few games left of the season as it will take time to get a new team to settle.
My concern right now is that we - yet again - panic into bringing in someone who does not know the players and wants to make wholesale changes. For me, it’s too late for that this season for that so we need to try to get the best out of what we have.
I agree that M&Ms time is running out if we fail against Montrose, but we should not make the change solely to satisfy the transfer window. We should only change if the current team can’t get us back to winning ways in the next couple of weeks and we think there is someone out there that can genuinely do that quickly.
I’m not inspired by Hopkin and our record with managers with no prior track record with the club hasn’t been good at all......

I think the exact opposite. I think most managers worth their salt will be looking at our squad and thinking, no mass clear out required. Ideal. Theres also a golden opportunity to beat media darlings Partick and McCall to promotion and build a wee bit of stock that way if it's someone in need of building their rep back up a bit. 

It's hardly their first test either. If they hadn't failed to get 3 points on so many occasions last season we would've gone up. Far too many draws including their draw at all costs tactics at Raith.

We were extremely fortunate to get a draw at Raith in that last Kirkcaldy fixture between the clubs. I don’t understand why that is the result that people are pointing at that cost is when we actually got out of jail that night by getting a point having been outplayed for 70 mins.
Look at the failure to hold onto a two goal lead in the earlier game at Raith under McKinnon or our failures against Airdrie or Clyde if you want to talk about our failures last season. Those are what really cost us....

I think the exact opposite. I think most managers worth their salt will be looking at our squad and thinking, no mass clear out required. Ideal. Theres also a golden opportunity to beat media darlings Partick and McCall to promotion and build a wee bit of stock that way if it's someone in need of building their rep back up a bit. 

Who knows? But the question remains whether it’s a greater risk to stick or twist. And that decision, if the transfer window is not the key driver, does not need to be made immediately.
I think we have the option of 1 or 2 more games and, as has been suggested, to review the managerial market in the interim behind the scenes.....

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Who knows? But the question remains whether it’s a greater risk to stick or twist. And that decision, if the transfer window is not the key driver, does not need to be made immediately.
I think we have the option of 1 or 2 more games and, as has been suggested, to review the managerial market in the interim behind the scenes.....

It's a fucking tough question aswell btw lets not pretend otherwise just because I think one way and you think the other. 

Still, the folk that run the club wanted to run the club so on their heads be it. I wonder if they are in close contact with Rawlins currently.

It's a fucking tough question aswell btw lets not pretend otherwise just because I think one way and you think the other. 
Still, the folk that run the club wanted to run the club so on their heads be it. I wonder if they are in close contact with Rawlins currently.

Agree with that. I just think stability on the park is better than change just now. However, I am concerned re whether the managers can genuinely get the players motivated quickly.
I still think it’s a bigger risk just now to change but another performance even remotely akin to today and I think it will rightly be curtains for them.

Agree with that. I just think stability on the park is better than change just now. However, I am concerned re whether the managers can genuinely get the players motivated quickly.
I still think it’s a bigger risk just now to change but another performance even remotely akin to today and I think it will rightly be curtains for them.

I think it is a tough decision, as they’ll want to give the guys a few more games to see if they bounce back, however, on the other hand, if they were to change manager just now, it would give them a transfer window to make some changes that they feel are required.

I don’t think any fan wants to see a manager(s) fail as ultimately it means the club is failing, but M&M don’t have a managerial CV to give anyone faith they can turn it round and keeping them is as much of a gamble as changing manager.