The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

How did PJ Morrison do for Falkirk?

We're assuming Carson's injury from midweek is now putting him out of action and that's why PJ has been called back. Might even get aa start at Accies today if Lasley really doesn't trust the big lump of wood we have as a reserve 'keeper.

Did fine. Was unfortunate not to keep his place in the side as he didn't do much wrong.

35 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

How did PJ Morrison do for Falkirk?

We're assuming Carson's injury from midweek is now putting him out of action and that's why PJ has been called back. Might even get aa start at Accies today if Lasley really doesn't trust the big lump of wood we have as a reserve 'keeper.

I would have been very happy to keep him, thought he was good. Having said that, it's not as if he was under any great pressure at any time, might not cope so well in the PL?

Are Archer, Chapman and Fox all injured? What the hell do Motherwell do to GK's?

2 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I would have been very happy to keep him, thought he was good. Having said that, it's not as if he was under any great pressure at any time, might not cope so well in the PL?

Are Archer, Chapman and Fox all injured? What the hell do Motherwell do to GK's?

Aye it's a different story two levels up especially for a team in poor form like Motherwell.

19 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Give us a good long list of his excellent signings then.  El alagui, Taylor, miller was shit when he arrived but improved, higginbottom we got 6 months out of but he was here for 2 year.  If your happy with him then your happy to have a club.in league one. Had the biggest budget in the league that first season back down and yet we came 3rd behind Raith rovers who had a pittance of a budget in comparison. 27 points behind county and then 25 points behind Partick the next season.  Atrocious stuff. At least Holt got us in the promotion mix.

I said pretty solid. Not great by any stretch but definitely not atrocious like one or two since. The two clubs you mentioned lost 5 league games between them in 72 games. Like we did in 2004/05. Sometimes just one club takes a league by storm and it’s brilliant for them but doesn’t happen too often to that one particular club. 

29 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Give us a good long list of his excellent signings then.  El alagui, Taylor, miller was shit when he arrived but improved, higginbottom we got 6 months out of but he was here for 2 year.  If your happy with him then your happy to have a club.in league one. Had the biggest budget in the league that first season back down and yet we came 3rd behind Raith rovers who had a pittance of a budget in comparison. 27 points behind county and then 25 points behind Partick the next season.  Atrocious stuff. At least Holt got us in the promotion mix.

You’ve said Millar was shit when he arrived, as was Higginbotham. Who managed them? To me, Pressley made them better players after spending a year with him.

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Tbf, farid and Lyle Taylor were 2 strikers no manager has come close to matching in terms of quality since. Defo has an eye for a player. Doesn’t mean I’d be happy with him as DOF mind you 

Both strikers handed to him by an ex teammate and Ross Wilson. Will Vaulks never got a game under Pressley and the honking centre halves he signed being a centre half himself was hilarious.

Dods,McGloves and Millar after he realised BoB and Millar was honking together were good signings

30 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Scobbie spoke about how Pressley was like a different man after that relegation in the pre-season. Some excellent signings, good track record in the Academy, consistent 3rd place finishes and great cup nights seems pretty solid to me.

He was stuck with the majority of our relegated squad on big money with no relegation clauses in their contracts.

An ultra defensive 4-2-3-1 formation fist pumping away 0-0 draws like we won something was a period of doom n gloom for me..

He had good half season when his hands were tied behind his back following season, season after we went around a full first quarter with one league win.

His mouth got him the Coventry gig and every job thereafter. He might be a decent appointment as dof as it's the mouth he needs to use but as a manager his record is woeful.

4 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Both strikers handed to him by an ex teammate and Ross Wilson. Will Vaulks never got a game under Pressley and the honking centre halves he signed being a centre half himself was hilarious.

Dods,McGloves and Millar after he realised BoB and Millar was honking together were good signings

He was stuck with the majority of our relegated squad on big money with no relegation clauses in their contracts.

An ultra defensive 4-2-3-1 formation fist pumping away 0-0 draws like we won something was a period of doom n gloom for me..

He had good half season when his hands were tied behind his back following season, season after we went around a full first quarter with one league win.

His mouth got him the Coventry gig and every job thereafter. He might be a decent appointment as dof as it's the mouth he needs to use but as a manager his record is woeful.

“Woeful”, “atrocious”, lots of exaggerated words to describe an average manager with a mixed bag of results. He did have some positives as well as negatives imo.

37 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

You’ve said Millar was shit when he arrived, as was Higginbotham. Who managed them? To me, Pressley made them better players after spending a year with him.

We needed better players that season though. He also kept re-signing Carl bloody finnigan who was shite and constantly injured. It was our best chance of promotion. Board kept the budget high and yet we weren't even close.  Budgets were cut by a million quid the next season and the chance was gone. Biggest budget we've had since relegation by quite some margin and Pressley blew it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, MrDust said:

He played Bob as virtually a third centre half. Now this was a guy who had under achieved the season before but was a decent player. Pressley played him way out of position  as a sitting midfielder when he had the ability to create far further up the park.

1 hour ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

“Woeful”, “atrocious”, lots of exaggerated words to describe an average manager with a mixed bag of results. He did have some positives as well as negatives imo.

He wasn't even average

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He played Bob as virtually a third centre half. Now this was a guy who had under achieved the season before but was a decent player. Pressley played him way out of position  as a sitting midfielder when he had the ability to create far further up the park.

And Millar protecting him, the difference when BoB wasn't there in Millar was night and day.

One could argue Millar was better 2nd time around tbh away from Pressley 

Pressley’s work actually stopped the club going bust. Not many would have taken a 75% cut in budget in his 2nd year and actually improved the side. Blooded and developed a lot of young players that made the club a fortune. Speak to any of them and they have huge respect for Pressley. His signings were hit and miss. Someone said Ross Wilson handed him Farid and Taylor on a plate. Two things that is factually incorrect it was only Taylor (Farid had an Italian agent Pressley played with). Managers sign good players through good contacts. So what if he gets them handed to him.

5 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Pressley’s work actually stopped the club going bust. Not many would have taken a 75% cut in budget in his 2nd year and actually improved the side. Blooded and developed a lot of young players that made the club a fortune. Speak to any of them and they have huge respect for Pressley. His signings were hit and miss. Someone said Ross Wilson handed him Farid and Taylor on a plate. Two things that is factually incorrect it was only Taylor (Farid had an Italian agent Pressley played with). Managers sign good players through good contacts. So what if he gets them handed to him.

Against clubs who obviously had the ability to invest heavily at the time and could dominate a league. He was “woeful” though.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

If he'd kept us up or got us promoted in our first season down he wouldn't have had to take a 75 percent budget cut.  Noone else would've wanted him after those two dreadful attempts anyway.

3 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Against clubs who obviously had the ability to invest heavily at the time and could dominate a league. He was “woeful” though.

He had us behind Raith rovers our first season down . Their budget was minute compared to his.

A jack Ross or Alex Neil would've had us competing for titles back then no matter the budget restraints.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He had us behind Raith rovers our first season down . Their budget was minute compared to his.

A jack Ross or Alex Neil would've had us competing for titles back then no matter the budget restraints.

3rd place in the second tier is just about par for Falkirk. Both going way way back and in more recent times. Nothing to crow about but also not “atrocious”. Par.

Farid was indeed handed to Pressley on a plate...zero Ross Wilson involvement.
Will Vaulks touted himself......we were the only ones to give him a chance. Presley’s biggest flaw for me was not being able to build confidence in the team. His tactical talks (and I heard a few of them at the Uni) were always based around how strong the opposition were (be that Sevco or Cowdenbeath....and he presided over at least one horror show against Cowdenbeath). He certainly wasn’t the charismatic type of manager, but by all accounts he was respected by the players.....maybe because he never demanded much from them, and in the case of Sibbs, I think he made a complete mess of his development, but he also brought on a good few younger players. I think the game we lost 1-0 in Kirkcaldy was the youngest ever starting eleven in Scotland.

1 minute ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Farid was indeed handed to Pressley on a plate...zero Ross Wilson involvement.
Will Vaulks touted himself......we were the only ones to give him a chance. Presley’s biggest flaw for me was not being able to build confidence in the team. His tactical talks (and I heard a few of them at the Uni) were always based around how strong the opposition were (be that Sevco or Cowdenbeath....and he presided over at least one horror show against Cowdenbeath). He certainly wasn’t the charismatic type of manager, but by all accounts he was respected by the players.....maybe because he never demanded much from them, and in the case of Sibbs, I think he made a complete mess of his development, but he also brought on a good few younger players. I think the game we lost 1-0 in Kirkcaldy was the youngest ever starting eleven in Scotland.

What he did tactically against Rangers and Dundee United in the cup was a minor miracle when you compare the teams. That Rangers team had just beaten Celtic the weekend before and we more than held our own for 75/70 mins that game until the Jelavic’s etc came on. He got the tactics in both games spot on.