The Falkirk FC Thread

39 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

What is the relevance of his signing in this debate?

I raised how poor our loan signings have been in the main with the odd exception like McManus. The young players we've brought in never seem to perform to any decent level if they play at all. Deveney, Moore, Irving, etc.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Deveney has been a shocker of a loan signing. 

I think it's turned out to be a pointless signing, however I don't think he'd have been signed at all if we'd known that we were going to get Kelly. As far as the lad himself is concerned, I think he's looked quite capable in the few cameos that he's had, looks quite composed on the ball. Maybe he could be a possible option for wide left when Connolly's not available?

23 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think it's turned out to be a pointless signing, however I don't think he'd have been signed at all if we'd known that we were going to get Kelly. As far as the lad himself is concerned, I think he's looked quite capable in the few cameos that he's had, looks quite composed on the ball. Maybe he could be a possible option for wide left when Connolly's not available?

Agree totally mate - Kelly will clearly be the first choice now.

I think if young lads are moving to the lower leagues on loan they’ll want game time and he’s getting very little.

Is he an option to cover for Connolly, quite possibly mate.

25 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agree totally mate - Kelly will clearly be the first choice now.

I think if young lads are moving to the lower leagues on loan they’ll want game time and he’s getting very little.

Is he an option to cover for Connolly, quite possibly mate.

He's a left back that could perhaps cover at left mid. In all honesty I'd rather we had a left mid that we can rely on if Connolly is injured or out of form.

12 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Connolly is quite injury prone so we may see the value of Deveney at some point.

If he's any good at left mid. He's a left back. He plays predominantly at left back. If we need a backup for Connolly then sign a left mid. Not someone your going to shoehorn into left mid.

As a collective support, we truly are most forgiving in the country.

So, a decent midfield engine, and a 21st century Stokes needed, but we’re Falkirk, so we’ll accept any old (or young) duffer, and as they will probably not solve our issues, we’ll take them anyway just in case.

10 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd punt the boy back to Killie too if possible. I worry about our ability to get players in on loan when very few that we get seem to get get any kind of game time. It's bound to put other teams off sending us young players.  We seem to use the loan market to fill our squad with cheap jobbers and nothing else.

It's very much a lottery getting youngsters from top league, Partick have done similar and got a keeper out of it.

I've yet to see anything wow about Kelly but I don't think we would've signed Killie boy if we had got Kelly afore him.

There are no reserve games for the young fringe players to push for a place, training wont get them a start.

10 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

There are still no legs in midfield.

Someone like Ben Williamson on loan from Rangers IMO is the sort of lad who would make a difference. Big, powerful and can get around the pitch. Guarantee someone will take him on loan this window.

The kind of loan signings we should be making but never seem to. Our defence is solid enough so if we're bringing someone in this January it needs to be a bit of power in the middle of the park and/or a striker dependant on how long Keena's going to be out for. Hopefully see Sneddon and Laverty popped out on loan to make room for at least one signing.

1/3 of the season gone and so far I'd rate the signings as per the below. Considering we're in the third league of Scottish football we've done well in my opinion but we really need to get better at using our loans effectively.

PJ Morrison - Very good back up

Scott Mercer - Average but I still think he's better than Doyle

Sean Kelly - Competent but I feel like he's been hindered by how late he came in so hopefully there's more to come from him

Euan Deveney - Wasted loan through no fault of his own

Blair Sneddon - Needs to be put out on loan if he's not ready to play with us

Callumn Morrison - Very good and on his day he's potentially the best player in the league

Blair Alston - Still trying to find his feet which is worrying 1/3 of the season in

Anton Dowds - Average but can't help but feel there's more to come from him

Akeel Francis - Pacey, has some skill but he's way off it in terms of the basics which is why he can't get near the team

Aidan Keena - Looked good in preseason and by god we need him back pronto to give us a cutting edge

Edited by FFC 1876

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

It's very much a lottery getting youngsters from top league, Partick have done similar and got a keeper out of it.

I've yet to see anything wow about Kelly but I don't think we would've signed Killie boy if we had got Kelly afore him.

There are no reserve games for the young fringe players to push for a place, training wont get them a start.

In our case it's a lottery and we haven't even bought a ticket. Other clubs seem far more successful at it than us .

20 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

We brought in M&M after two consecutive disaster seasons and with the club in major free fall. Judge it how you like, but we desperately needed people with Falkirk blood to at least give us some identity back. For me I’m not sure who would have touched us and whether this was a good or bad decision. Rookie managers with absolutely no management experience in charge of taking us back to the championship. Season cruelly cut short and RR appointed with promotion. 
Arguably without the pandemic would we have went on to win the league ? For me yes, but for many on here a no.

For me the changes in the boardroom are massive and with Rawlins investment we will see a new governance, and no doubt further changes in how the club reshapes itself. Guys like Rawlins wouldn’t be here unless they see potential and growth ( and profit) and let’s not kid ourselves, he comes with a very strong positive business acumen and a really good track record.

Fully understand some of the fans frustrations with how M&M are publicly perceived/displayed and as mentioned the crossbar challenge is no more than a bit of fun however cringey.
The most infuriating part for me ( apart from some baffling line ups) is the continued easy ride they get from our TV guys, easy questions and always agreeing with whatever is reciprocated by our managers. I don’t listen to any pre/post match interviews as we get the same answers game after game. Some managers are not stupid enough to berate players publicly, but I’m not sure after two really disappointing results there was any voices raised which is part and parcel of any dressing room. Really hoping I’m wrong but I’m not sure. 

M&M are under no illusions, failure to gain promotion will see them out the door, we are going into the new year four points ahead and six ahead of PT, with seventeen games to play....who wouldn’t have wanted this..... 

The last 2 managers were ultimately disasters - the fault for this lies squarely with the old BOD. Hartley could have been a success but he had a badly executed Brentford model and Superscout forced on him, in turn he could not coach or manage such a bunch of low quality misfits that came in. The last bloke was just a rubbish manager and the fact that we pursued him to the extent we got done for how we recruited him just shows how out of touch and hopeless that board was.

I agree after the horrendous Brentford experiment and Ray's Morten journeymen & cronyism recruitment style we needed an identify back. To me when it comes to Falkirk that means young academy players coming through and the attacking style & robust defending we have been used to over the years. The former takes time, the latter can be solved by getting the right manager/head coach in (importantly he doesn't have to have played for Falkirk).

Again for me , bringing back an identity and "Falkirk blood" (whatever that is) is not solved by appointing two ex players as managers - that's a very lazy attempt. I do accept that M&M's appointment has brought a bit of a feel good factor back and I really don't care if they do cross bar challenges or not. The issue is no one had a clue what their style of play, recruitment  or tactics was going to be as they'd never managed a team before - that for me was a major gamble, and now that they have been in charge for 18months what do we think our identity is ? We can beat the minnows of this league but go all defensive against similar sized clubs.  Hardly a patch on the Stainrod, Crunchie, Latapy, Yogi, Big Joe, MoJo , Vaulks  "take on anyone" identity of the past. 

M&M look like the guys to take us to promotion, but not much further than that for me.