The Falkirk FC Thread

58 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Get it that we never turned up against Airdrie, but agree we’ve not hit our top game. The pleasing factor is that we had a really decent run of form, where we’ve gained some consistency and momentum up to Saturday. Still think getting Keena back will be massive and as previously posted still some questions about our best midfield. 
An Airdrie fan I know said that Saturdays performance was probably their best of the season, so maybe it’s best to park the game and get back to our recent form.

Agree that we shouldn’t overreact to Sunday but there are serious questions about a couple of the starting eleven namely Dowds and Leitch.

Dowds has been very disappointing after  the positive reaction to his signing, has done nothing of note and unless he finds some form quickly must be considered a failure.

Leitch has a bit of skill about him but nowhere near strong or consistent enough, this seasons Alex Harris.

Also Francis is never going to do a job for us, one of those guys who looks like a player until the game starts. His record of failure at a pretty low level in England does not inspire optimism that there is better to come from him.

4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

These pre match interviews are a complete waste of time.

They give out the same ‘verbal diarrhoea’ every time.

I don’t watch any more.

I quite liked it when they did them straight after the final whistle and if things have went tits up....see Sunday

A general win tho and its more than normal out the football manual phrasebook as it always is

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Get it that we never turned up against Airdrie, but agree we’ve not hit our top game. The pleasing factor is that we had a really decent run of form, where we’ve gained some consistency and momentum up to Saturday. Still think getting Keena back will be massive and as previously posted still some questions about our best midfield. 
An Airdrie fan I know said that Saturdays performance was probably their best of the season, so maybe it’s best to park the game and get back to our recent form.

I'm not convinced.  First team we've come up against with a bit about them and who know how to get a result against us and we lose.  Opener at Montrose the result flattered us a bit, forfar game we were awful even before the red card, East Fife were crap and we should've scored more,  we were lucky to get a draw at thistle,  we started poorly against cove  then played well but again chances missed could have cost us, Dumbarton were god awful in that game, Peterhead should've been dead and buried but again chances missed could've cost us.and Clyde we got two goals from set pieces and a great strike from telfer. We didn't create much else. I'm not sure our performances have been a whole lot better than the first 9 games last season. To me the standard of opposition has dropped especially in terms of Clyde and East Fife.  

I'm not convinced.  First team we've come up against with a bit about them and who know how to get a result against us and we lose.  Opener at Montrose the result flattered us a bit, forfar game we were awful even before the red card, East Fife were crap and we should've scored more,  we were lucky to get a draw at thistle,  we started poorly against cove  then played well but again chances missed could have cost us, Dumbarton were god awful in that game, Peterhead should've been dead and buried but again chances missed could've cost us.and Clyde we got two goals from set pieces and a great strike from telfer. We didn't create much else. I'm not sure our performances have been a whole lot better than the first 9 games last season. To me the standard of opposition has dropped especially in terms of Clyde and East Fife.  

FFS. You’d think we were Brechin City after reading this. We are well clear at the top of the table and you were not making these statements pre-Sunday.
Give the team a break. We lost our first league game on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

FFS

jolly.jpeg

8 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

FFS. You’d think we were Brechin City after reading this. We are well clear at the top of the table and you were not making these statements pre-Sunday.
Give the team a break. We lost our first league game on Sunday.

That's because  Sunday was the first big test and we basically shat the bed once again. Same old issues , same problems. This time last season we had only lost one match but had scored 5 more goals. We were 4 points worse off but then we had played an extra home game so imho we aren't a whole lot better off or playing much better than this time last season. We were still humping teams like Dumbarton and struggling against Airdrie. Our right back is still shite, telfer still hides whenever the going gets tough and our strikers are missing a 20 goal plus player.To be honest we haven't even reached the heights of the 6 0 thrashing of Dumbarton yet. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

That's because  Sunday was the first big test and we basically shat the bed once again. Same old issues , same problems. This time last season we had only lost one match but had scored 5 more goals. We were 4 points worse off but then we had played an extra home game so imho we aren't a whole lot better off or playing much better than this time last season. We were still humping teams like Dumbarton and struggling against Airdrie. Our right back is still shite, telfer still hides whenever the going gets tough and our strikers are missing a 20 goal plus player.To be honest we haven't even reached the heights of the 6 0 thrashing of Dumbarton yet. 

Last seasons team would never have put seven past Dumbarton on their patch over two games, won by three at Clyde or won at home to one of the title challengers around us. You’re putting an extremely negative spin on matters.

We can all find things less than perfect about the current team.

However it’s points and position in the table that do the talking.

Oh and as for the additional home game. It’s at home we are not winning convincingly and where we are dropping points this season. We have been more than decent away from home results wise...

9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Could not give 2 fecks about any of these performances whatsoever bar the defeat really. End of the day I would take drab dreary skin of the teeth point gains all season if it means we get out of this league. That's the only goal whether it comes through luck, perseverance or shite oppositions. 

16 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Last seasons team would never have put seven past Dumbarton on their patch over two games, won by three at Clyde or won at home to one of the title challengers around us. You’re putting an extremely negative spin on matters.

We can all find things less than perfect about the current team.

However it’s points and position in the table that do the talking.

Oh and as for the additional home game. It’s at home we are not winning convincingly and where we are dropping points this season. We have been more than decent away from home results wise...

Clyde aren't a patch on the side they were last season you only need to see what they say about their own team on the Clyde thread. 2 best midfielders that dominated us are no longer there.Dumbarton the same. Christ in the cup they could only muster two players on the bench.  Peterhead were no better and yet we ended up hanging on against a side we put a barrowload in against at home last season.They just knew what they had to do against us and carried out the game plan. I don't even think Airdrie are at the same standard. Murray simply knows what tactics nullifies us and he's probably as surprised as anyone that a season on it's no different.

7 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Could not give 2 fecks about any of these performances whatsoever bar the defeat really. End of the day I would take drab dreary skin of the teeth point gains all season if it means we get out of this league. That's the only goal whether it comes through luck, perseverance or shite oppositions. 

I'd agree with you to a certain extent but that's not what happened on Sunday unfortunately.  I've been happy to put up  with some mediocre performances  so far this season as in the main we've managed to get the 3 points. Sunday was the chance to again show that we'd moved on from last season but it was like feckin groundhog Day all over again.  We weren't unlucky we didn't batter them we created zero after the first 20 mins against nothing more than a well organised Airdrie side and then gifted them 3 points when they were more than happy to get one.  Time for the management team to start showing they are learning by their mistakes .

The only team that caused us real problems this season where Thistle in the second half and really we should have had that game dead and buried if Dowds had stuck that one away just before half time. Airdrie were solid defensively and managed to nick a goal from a set piece it's hardly us throwing in the towel.

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd agree with you to a certain extent but that's not what happened on Sunday unfortunately.  I've been happy to put up  with some mediocre performances  so far this season as in the main we've managed to get the 3 points. Sunday was the chance to again show that we'd moved on from last season but it was like feckin groundhog Day all over again.  We weren't unlucky we didn't batter them we created zero after the first 20 mins against nothing more than a well organised Airdrie side and then gifted them 3 points when they were more than happy to get one.  Time for the management team to start showing they are learning by their mistakes .

I literally said "bar the defeat"

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

The only team that caused us real problems this season where Thistle in the second half and really we should have had that game dead and buried if Dowds had stuck that one away just before half time. Airdrie were solid defensively and managed to nick a goal from a set piece it's hardly us throwing in the towel.

Problem is dowds is missing these chances every week.  I never said threw in the towel I said shat the bed.  Airdrie were exactly the same as they were last season no different and they came away with the 3 points again. Is it perhaps not too much to ask that our management team would have learned a lesson from last season and ensured this season it wouldn't happen again? As I said groundhog Day once again. I dont expect us to go through a season unbeaten but I also don't expect us to be making the same mistakes as we were 12 months ago.

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

It’s all about opinions and that’s why we passionately care about our club. As posted I agree with some of the negative points, but can’t emphasis enough that we’re in the third tier of Scottish football. 
Yes we’ve had a horrendous two seasons and the heart ripped out our club by people that shouldn’t have been near our club.
However in my opinion theres several reasons to be optimistic starting with the change of directors, the new Rawlins investment and the first steps in appointing fans representative to the board.

M&M have a decent track record and still think if the last season was played out we would have been promoted, however we are where we are.

Weve tried the so called better players from other clubs, most have been a disaster apart from McManus. The budget we carry is probably in the top four of the championship, but playing in the seaside league it’s near impossible to get players to sign.

Saturdays result was a huge disappointment but let’s not overreact, there’s going to be many similar games where teams will sit back and hope for a break and nick a goal. We’ve just got to accept that, right now most can see that Dowds isn’t a McManus, and for me needs a goal to get his confidence. Sammon looks like he’s realised it’s maybe his last season and has upped his game, It doesn’t help when we have guys as seen with Saturdays game ie. Telfer, Alston, Morrison all off form, or in Telfer case doesn’t fancy trying at times. 
Yes we’ve not scaled any heights but we’re four points clear with 18 games to play.....

Part time Arbroath on a much smaller budget won this league comfortably two years ago so I don't get this we're in the third tier of so we can't sign any decent players rubbish. 

I think you need to be a bit more optimistic as the negativity isn't warranted. If we have the exact same return as the first round of games by the end of the season we would be 12 points clear. I would happily take that and say that would be quite comfortable. I'd also take winning the league on goal difference by a solitary goal. How we get there does not matter, as long as the outcome is the same.