The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

When the SPFL formed new rules were made around teams going in to administration. Have a look at them.

No club has went in to administration since then. That's about 7 years I think.

The gap is for the same reason prize money is different between the leagues. Also operating costs are, on average, much higher in the Championship than the average in League 1.

The amounts being distributed are far too high. Maximum amount in the championship should've been circa 100k. If clubs can't get by on that bonus cash having agreed they would be able to play all season previously then they deserve to go under. It should then have filtered down  so that clubs lower down the pyramid are getting a decent help too. If we can field a full time side in league one without the need for handouts and on a pittance prize money wise then there is absolutely no reason why any of the championship sides should need a sum the size of 500k gifted to them.  Has any other industry seen a part time organisation of only 20 odd employees being given a free grant of half a million quid? It's a ridiculous waste of money when times are as they are currently.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

You keep saying this but it simply isn't true. You've totally convinced yourself it is though so I doubt any amount of discussion will make you reconsider.

Especially when it's just one part of a massive scheme across the majority of Scottish sport. To think that the government is willing to gift £15m to Scottish rugby and £2m to the likes of ice hockey / horse riding etc (just in grants, never mind loans) as part of a scheme that was introduced to save Morton goes beyond Trump levels of delusion.

13 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Especially when it's just one part of a massive scheme across the majority of Scottish sport. To think that the government is willing to gift £15m to Scottish rugby and £2m to the likes of ice hockey / horse riding etc (just in grants, never mind loans) as part of a scheme that was introduced to save Morton goes beyond Trump levels of delusion.

Time will tell when we see the published accounts of championship clubs for this financial year I suppose. We will then see who actually needed a sum of this size to keep in business if any at all. I'd be shocked if the answers none.

Does anyone have a breakdown on how the money has been allocated in rugby. Would be an interesting comparison.

Anyway time to move on it just surprises me that people are happy to see hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money lie unneeded in certain clubs bank accounts whilst people elsewhere see their businesses close and employees end up on the dole. Doesn't seem to me to be the kind of  policy that you'd expect to come from the Scottish government.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Time will tell when we see the published accounts of championship clubs for this financial year I suppose. We will then see who actually needed a sum of this size to keep in business if any at all. I'd be shocked if the answers none.

Does anyone have a breakdown on how the money has been allocated in rugby. Would be an interesting comparison.

Anyway time to move on it just surprises me that people are happy to see hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money lie unneeded in certain clubs bank accounts whilst people elsewhere see their businesses close and employees end up on the dole. Doesn't seem to me to be the kind of  policy that you'd expect to come from the Scottish government.

Tbf, as much as I agree with some of the things you are saying, any 'unneeded' amount given to football clubs with pale into complete insignificance when compared to the amount given to furloughed workers who weren't actually at risk of losing their jobs, even though that's what the scheme was originally intended for. Not that I condone any wasteful spending of course.

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Except that they won’t have 500k in the bank next season....

They'll have a pretty huge chunk of it. It's free money for alloa . Can't see them blowing it all on part timers in January so they'll have a decent war chest for next season.

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

You keep saying that. But they haven’t dropped out of the race yet and have the best striker outside of the Premiership IMO...

They've lost their last 3 . They are playing Clyde today who anyone would expect to take 3 points from.  I'm sorry but I'd take Steven Naismith or Stephen dobbie  in front of Mitch megginson any day of the week. The guys done nothing at a league higher than this. Montrose are a far bigger threat than cove.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I can't say I'm seeing Cove as much of a threat either tbh. Clyde's defence were all over the shop last week so a win for Cove wasn't exactly a hard one to predict today. I suspect teams will get wiser to Cove in the next two thirds of the season and they'll pick up less points as their promotion bounce wears off.

2 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I can't say I'm seeing Cove as much of a threat either tbh. Clyde's defence were all over the shop last week so a win for Cove wasn't exactly a hard one to predict today. I suspect teams will get wiser to Cove in the next two thirds of the season and they'll pick up less points as their promotion bounce wears off.

Cove will always be a difficult place to get points with the dreadful pitch and howling gale but a playoff spot is the best they'll end up in I'd say.