The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A small contribution, prize money last season was as follows:

Championship prize money was just over £3m in total. Average of £300k per club with top getting £562k and bottom £175k.

League One prize money was £862k. Average of £86k per club with top getting £125k and bottom £72.5k. 

It looks to me like the grant has been distributed in a similar way to prize money with Championship teams getting 3.5 times more. Its actually slightly less than that with the grant only a mere 3.3 times more! 

Prize money is correctly given due to performance on the pitch. Covid cash seems to be given out for performance off the pitch with those clubs with the highest level of mismanagement getting the most money. Farcical really.

We're getting what we deserve from this for being in league one.  Had we been in the championship we've have snapped their hands off for the £500k and would be laughing at anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck in the tinpot leagues. 

The govt supporting football isn't like other businesses.  Football is the national game, its in their nterest for the scottish govt to do everything possible to keep clubs alive as there are so many who rely on football as an escape atm.  That's why football continues while restaurants and bars close.  

As others have said it would be ridiculous for the handouts not to be equal for teams in the same league.  Imagine being in the premier league and seeing Rangers get far more than us, or fighting with Hearts for the championship title and getting far less cash.  

Alloa and Arbroath etc deserve more than us because they are losing away fans as well as home, are more likely (objectively based on league placings) to have potentially earned more from the Scottish Cup etc.  In short because they're in a higher league.  

The govt giving grants to keep the game alive is a good thing and we are getting less because of our own inabilities over the last few years  - nothing else.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

We're getting what we deserve from this for being in league one.  Had we been in the championship we've have snapped their hands off for the £500k and would be laughing at anyone unfortunate enough to be stuck in the tinpot leagues. 

The govt supporting football isn't like other businesses.  Football is the national game, its in their nterest for the scottish govt to do everything possible to keep clubs alive as there are so many who rely on football as an escape atm.  That's why football continues while restaurants and bars close.  

As others have said it would be ridiculous for the handouts not to be equal for teams in the same league.  Imagine being in the premier league and seeing Rangers get far more than us, or fighting with Hearts for the championship title and getting far less cash.  

Alloa and Arbroath etc deserve more than us because they are losing away fans as well as home, are more likely (objectively based on league placings) to have potentially earned more from the Scottish Cup etc.  In short because they're in a higher league.  

The govt giving grants to keep the game alive is a good thing and we are getting less because of our own inabilities over the last few years  - nothing else.  

Sorry I just can't agree. The govt shouldn't be rewarding insolvent businesses with more money to pish down the drain.  And covid cash shouldn't be handed out like prize money.  If we had been in the champ and received 500k I'd be saying the same thing. It's a ludicrous amount of money to be giving individual organisations a number of whom don't need it. The money would be far better spent keeping people in jobs elsewhere than lying in the bank accounts of some football teams.

It's Christmas, stop being mean about money and who is getting what and who doesn't deserve this or that.  Life is too short for that kind of crap.  Our team is being handed £150k for nothing.  Sounds good to me.  I lost my job because of Covid and I am now living off £74 a week and looking after my disabled partner.  It's been a shit year, but I am still breathing.

Also, I don't want any team to go out of business.  Every single team has supporters who are (shock!!) just like us, who support their local team with just as much passion, pain., disappointment and hope as we do.  COYB.

Have yourselves a merry little Christmas.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

1 minute ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

It's Christmas, stop being mean about money and who is getting what and who doesn't deserve this or that.  Life is too short for that kind of crap.  Our team is being handed £150k for nothing.  Sounds good to me.  I lost my job because of Covid and I am now living off £74 a week and looking after my disabled partner.  It's been a shit year, but I am still breathing.

Also, I don't want any team to go out of business.  Every single team has supporters who are (shock!!) just like us, who support their local team with just as much passion, pain., disappointment and hope as we do.  COY.

Your exactly where some of that money should be going instead of alloas bank account.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:
Permanent hot tubs in every corner of the ground if you ask me.

f**k that. Buy our own crane. That way we can all get a shot watching the game from the basket and it can fix our dodgy floodlights midweek.

Im sure we could afford both. Second in the 50/50 then gets to bungee from the crane into the hottub during the halftime show.

Prize money is correctly given due to performance on the pitch. Covid cash seems to be given out for performance off the pitch with those clubs with the highest level of mismanagement getting the most money. Farcical really.

What? a) the Championship clubs have been given the same amount each and therefore it clearly has nothing to do with off-field performance when they have all gone about things in their own different ways with varying consequences; b) they are all in the position to get this grant exactly because of their on the pitch performances that allowed them to obtain or retain Championship status, unlike Falkirk who are in their current position all because they couldn't win in half of their games against a bunch of part-timers.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

What? a) the Championship clubs have been given the same amount each and therefore it clearly has nothing to do with off-field performance when they have all gone about things in their own different ways with varying consequences; b) they are all in the position to get this grant exactly because of their on the pitch performances that allowed them to obtain or retain Championship status, unlike Falkirk who are in their current position all because they couldn't win half of their games against a bunch of part-timers.

This whole allocation has been based on keeping a couple of championship clubs in business and nothing else never mind whether they are about to go bust due to complete mismanagement or not. Not one single championship club should require a sum of that size of money 3 months into a football season they all said they could complete no problem whether fans were allowed in or not. If you feel that giving alloa athletic 500k to lie picking up interest in their bank account is good value for the tax payer then that's your prerogative but it's certainly not the way I think we should be using money when other industries are going to the wall and people are ending up on the dole.

Also, I don't want any team to go out of business.  Every single team has supporters who are (shock!!) just like us, who support their local team with just as much passion, pain., disappointment and hope as we do.  COYB.

Agree. Except MorTEN [emoji3]

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly you can't compare Dunfermline embarrassing shafting of local companies giving them zero money back to the pound to our situation at all. The latter is blatant cheating and an embarrassment to any club that does it.

I'm not comparing the way Masterton and co ran our club. It's disgraceful way to treat creditors. A huge chunk of the money was actually due to the guys who run DAFC now. We have learned lessons for those days and are run very well these days.

I was calling out the whiter than white ''well run club'' crap. The fact your club got into that state suggests otherwise.

Edited by Chubbychops

I'm not comparing the way Masteron and co ran our club. It's disgraceful way to treat creditors. A huge chunk of the money was actually due to the guys who run DAFC now. We have learned lessons for those days and a run very well.
I was calling out the whiter than white ''well run club'' crap. The fact your club got into that state suggests otherwise.
Of course I realise you also can point to the timeframe, but I hardly think something that happened more than 20 years ago is an indicator that we cannot currently be a well run club.*

*well run financially. Personally il be reserving any praise for how the club is run until we are back competing at the right end of the Championship with something resembling youth set up, but you get my point I am sure.

2 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

I'm not comparing the way Masterton and co ran our club. It's disgraceful way to treat creditors. A huge chunk of the money was actually due to the guys who run DAFC now. We have learned lessons for those days and are run very well these days.

It's not so much how you get into that state it's how you come out of it. We came out with our heads held high whilst for other clubs it has been an entirely different story.  It's time clubs were forced to pay all their debts in full before being able to continue plying their trade. At the moment it's far too easy to overspend , win trophies on a false pretence and then only pay back any football debt you owe before carrying on as if nothing has happened.  There needs to be far stronger deterrents in place to prevent clubs cheating in this way including a two strikes and your out the leagues entirely approach.

This whole allocation has been based on keeping a couple of championship clubs in business and nothing else never mind whether they are about to go bust due to complete mismanagement or not. Not one single championship club should require a sum of that size of money 3 months into a football season they all said they could complete no problem whether fans were allowed in or not. If you feel that giving alloa athletic 500k to lie picking up interest in their bank account is good value for the tax payer then that's your prerogative but it's certainly not the way I think we should be using money when other industries are going to the wall and people are ending up on the dole.

If you're that concerned about tax payer's money, and given the number of people on here that have been saying that Falkirk don't really need the money just now, why don't you draft a letter to your club this weekend asking them not to accept the money, or at least gift it to another local sports group (e.g. East Stirlingshire) instead? Or are you going to sit back and idly watch your club spend taxpayers money that they don't need as various businesses in the wider Falkirk area close their doors for good?

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

If you're that concerned about tax payer's money, and given the number of people on here that have been saying that Falkirk don't really need the money just now, why don't you draft a letter to your club this weekend asking them not to accept the money, or at least gift it to another local sports group (e.g. East Stirlingshire) instead? Or are you going to sit back and idly watch your club spend taxpayers money that they don't need as various businesses in the wider Falkirk area close their doors for good?

It's already been mentioned on here that we should gift the money to strathcarron hospice. Sounds a good idea to me.

3 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

The way i see it if you cant afford a football club then dont own one, it shouldnt be up to the govt to bail you out the shit.  The clubs were warned to be prepared to play the season with no fans they were given the option to hibernate.  As the twitter posts from Morton fans show they continued to sign players with no regard for the financial implication (basically if the owners had no intention of stumping up the money then where did they expect to get the money from) or were they reliant of being in a  promotion position and prize money to see them right and given the matter there is no punishment for going into administration this is also givng clubs a free pass in getting themselves into the shit with no punishment so why should you run your club prudently.

Happy for us to take the moral high ground in this one.

You aren't the only one who has bemusingly said that, but it just isn't true.

There are rules around the punishments for clubs going in to administration.

32 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You keep saying this but it simply isn't true.

You've totally convinced yourself it is though so I doubt any amount of discussion will make you reconsider.

Also, if anyone genuinely thinks that Mike Mulraney somehow runs the SPFL then they're an idiot.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

You aren't the only one who has bemusingly said that, but it just isn't true.

There are rules around the punishments for clubs going in to administration.

You keep saying this but it simply isn't true.

You've totally convinced yourself it is though so I doubt any amount of discussion will make you reconsider.

Also, if anyone genuinely thinks that Mike Mulraney somehow runs the SPFL then they're an idiot.

A few points been taken off isn't enough of a deterrent which is why we keep seeing clubs doing it. 

So was the 500k just a number picked out the ether. It's a ridiculous sum to be handing out to any individual organisation never mind ones that only employ 20 odd part time employees. Why the huge gap between the championship and the rest of the league structure leaving clubs in.the lowland and Highland  leagues and women's football receiving pennies?

There must be some reasoning behind them handing out such huge sums of money to clubs only 3 months into a football season when around about a fifth of that amount should have been more than enough.

When the SPFL formed new rules were made around teams going in to administration. Have a look at them.

No club has went in to administration since then. That's about 7 years I think.

The gap is for the same reason prize money is different between the leagues. Also operating costs are, on average, much higher in the Championship than the average in League 1.