The Falkirk FC Thread

The reconstruction proposals would not have improved Scottish football in any way. They were all comically transparent attempts to save Hearts and I'm surprised anyone genuinely thinks differently, including the chairman of my club who voted for the last one at least.

On the subject of the cash, I can see where the Falkirk fans are coming from but can also see the arguments against their point.
The argument is that it would set a silly precedent that would end up with the money going only one way. If Falkirk were given more than Alloa and Arbroath, Dundee could say that they should get more than Queen of the South. In turn Hearts could say they should get more than Dundee.
Going in to the Premiership Hibs and Aberdeen could say that they should get more than Livingston and Ross County for example but then Sevco and Celtic should say they should get more than anyone and should indeed get the majority of all the cash.
There isn't a perfect way to distribute the money but the way it's been done is probably the best.

Also players aren't signed for Falkirk over Morton because of some silly 'bigger club' stuff. They're doing so because they'll be getting paid more. It's why Gretna signed a load of players that SPL teams at the time also tried to sign whilst they (Gretna) were in the lower leagues. There's loads of other examples throughout the history of Scottish football. 
Nothing wrong with that either (players signing for clubs for more money I mean; obviously there was a lot wrong at Gretna!).

I think we should be thankful to the Scottish Government for the handout tbh.
I don’t agree with the argument that the split of cash should differ by size of club. That’s tantamount to agreeing that the old firm should always get a bigger split of cash than other clubs in the same division.
I think £400k for Championship clubs and £200k for League One might have been a fairer split but that’s probably me being pedantic.
Let’s be honest, if Falkirk were in the Championship where they should be, no one would be debating us receiving a £500k handout. It’s really only our own doing.....

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's not so much that alloa and arbroath are getting more cash it's the fact that there is such a huge amount of money being given to championship clubs leaving very little for the rest of Scottish football. 

^^^Selflessly fighting the good fight on behalf of those too weak and disadvantaged to do it themselves. Falkirk truly are the People's Champion

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

I think £400k for Championship clubs and £200k for League One might have been a fairer split but that’s probably me being pedantic.

It’s not being pedantic at all. The difference between Championship and League 1 is fairly ridiculous. I think most would be happy to see Championship clubs receive more money but the difference between Championship and League 1 should never be 350k. 

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I think we should be thankful to the Scottish Government for the handout tbh.
I don’t agree with the argument that the split of cash should differ by size of club. That’s tantamount to agreeing that the old firm should always get a bigger split of cash than other clubs in the same division.
Let’s be honest, if Falkirk were in the Championship where they should be, no one would be debating us receiving a £500k handout. It’s really only our own doing.....

Again though this isn't prize money. It's not money being given out for success on the pitch.  

It’s not being pedantic at all. The difference between Championship and League 1 is fairly ridiculous. I think most would be happy to see Championship clubs receive more money but the difference between Championship and League 1 should never be 350k. 

I think if the cash is mainly to pay wages etc, the bulk of Championship clubs are full time whilst it’s part time in our division. Hence the imbalance.....

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Exactly.  The gap is ridiculous.  500k is a ludicrous sum to be giving out free to any single organisation when businesses are shutting by the day in other industries.  

Covid's been good for Alloa, they'll make a profit out of it. Gate receipts would have been under £200k and they pay VAT and costs for that. They've just been handed £500k tax free. Meanwhile Hearts are boasting about spending money to buy players - 

Heart of Midlothian owner Ann Budge has reassured manager Robbie Neilson that the challenging financial climate will not affect planned investment in the Championship leaders' squad. (The Herald, print edition)

Just now, roman_bairn said:

I think if the cash is mainly to pay wages etc, the bulk of Championship clubs are full time whilst it’s part time in our division. Hence the imbalance.....

It shouldn't have been based on keeping a couple of champ clubs alive and feck everyone else. If any club needs this kind of amount to survive after 3 months of a season then they are not being run at all well and the govt is just pissing money down the drain in a similar fashion to bifab and Ferguson marine.  

It shouldn't have been based on keeping a couple of champ clubs alive and feck everyone else. If any club needs this kind of amount to survive after 3 months of a season then they are not being run at all well and the govt is just pissing money down the drain in a similar fashion to bifab and Ferguson marine.  

I’ve already made the point on here that I don’t think the Scottish Government should be stepping in at all. The option was there for clubs to hibernate.
That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the £150k we are getting for free....

10 hours ago, 101 said:

Sorry I'm late to the party, hope I've not missed anything:

Falkirk chose to have a full time team starting the season in a pandemic that accelerates in the winter

Falkirk could have been playing in a proper division if they hadn't mucked about last year

Alloa and Arbroath have 25% more stands, compared to Falkirk to keep in good nick.

Much as there’s a lot of stuff that can be mocked here, your stand calculator is out a bit. Alloa have 1 stand. It is a very nice stand though.

Just now, roman_bairn said:

I’ve already made the point on here that I don’t think the Scottish Government should be stepping in at all. The option was there for clubs to hibernate.
That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the £150k we are getting for free....

I agree but to me though if you are giving out that size of payment of 500k to o a club to simply keep them afloat then there should be agreements in place that in January that club will cut costs by a significant margin to get themselves back in a state of at least breaking even otherwise they are just wasting money.

3 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

Much as there’s a lot of stuff that can be mocked here, your stand calculator is out a bit. Alloa have 1 stand. It is a very nice stand though.

Have they taken the other one away? They had two the last time I was there.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

23 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

That’s absolutely fine and I fully appreciate that, hence why I think there should be a gap. Do I think that gap should be 350k? Absolutely not. The split could and should be fairer but at the end of the day it’s free money to help clubs out in a time of desperate need so I’m not going to get too hung up on it. 

Am I the only one on here that feels in the current climate that giving a grant of 500k to a company the size of alloa whilst companies in other industries of similar sizes or bigger go to the wall is slightly abhorrent. I mean surely this money could be better off spent elsewhere? I mean even the 150k we've got. There must be other organizations out there that need it far more than us just now. Surely there isn't another industry in Scotland where 10 organisations have been given 500k free in one go due to covid?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Am I the only one on here that feels in the current climate that giving a grant of 500k to a company the size of alloa whilst companies in other industries of similar sizes or bigger go to the wall is slightly abhorrent. I mean surely this money could be better off spent elsewhere? I mean even the 150k we've got. There must be other organizations out there that need it far more than us just now. Surely there isn't another industry in Scotland where 10 organisations have been given 500k free in one go due to covid?

Why are you making this such an issue? They got the cash because they performed on the pitch and got higher than most expect them to.
Some clubs gain and some lose. That’s life. The reality is that it’s fair that all clubs in the same division are treated equally.
We should not be complaining because a body stepped in and helped out the lower division clubs. We should be welcoming it....

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Am I the only one on here that feels in the current climate that giving a grant of 500k to a company the size of alloa whilst companies in other industries of similar sizes or bigger go to the wall is slightly abhorrent. I mean surely this money could be better off spent elsewhere? I mean even the 150k we've got. There must be other organizations out there that need it far more than us just now.

The way i see it if you cant afford a football club then dont own one, it shouldnt be up to the govt to bail you out the shit.  The clubs were warned to be prepared to play the season with no fans they were given the option to hibernate.  As the twitter posts from Morton fans show they continued to sign players with no regard for the financial implication (basically if the owners had no intention of stumping up the money then where did they expect to get the money from) or were they reliant of being in a  promotion position and prize money to see them right and given the matter there is no punishment for going into administration this is also givng clubs a free pass in getting themselves into the shit with no punishment so why should you run your club prudently.

Happy for us to take the moral high ground in this one.