The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

It would be interesting to know exactly which clubs are in trouble and how many players they signed over the summer 

I'll hazard a guess as Raith, Dundee, Morton,  Inverness Caley and  Ayr

Reckon the ones that will be ok will be Hearts, Dunfermline and possibly QotS/Arbroath

Edited by AL-FFC

11 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

I'll hazard a guess as Raith, Dundee, Morton,  Inverness Caley and  Ayr

Reckon the ones that will be ok will be Hearts, Dunfermline and possibly QotS/Arbroath

Boy that runs Ayr has a few Bob so not sure about them.  Could queen's not be one of them. If they are having to give the likes of Willie Gibson a gig they must be struggling.

Hopkin paying players out his own pocket, cant help but think that in amongst that list Raith will be amongst them, maybe they could start a crowd funder the last time they were pleading poverty or ask the other clubs to help fund them:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-government-warned-critical-championship-23178871

Reading that article it comes across that it’s the Scottish Governments fault as the grants are not being made immediately available.

So until the Government offered the grants - that they are not exactly duty bound to provide - exactly what was the plan by these clubs that committed to restarting the season?…

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Reading that article it comes across that it’s the Scottish Governments fault as the grants are not being made immediately available.

So until the Government offered the grants - that they are not exactly duty bound to provide - exactly what was the plan by these clubs that committed to restarting the season?…

Did GD not say at the start of this that clubs were given the chance to suspend the season and they voted in favour of the season starting and being played to a completion ?

3 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Hopkin paying players out his own pocket, cant help but think that in amongst that list Raith will be amongst them, maybe they could start a crowd funder the last time they were pleading poverty or ask the other clubs to help fund them:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-government-warned-critical-championship-23178871

It’s by Keith Jackson so chances are it’s a lot of shite mate.

12 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

5 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Did GD not say at the start of this that clubs were given the chance to suspend the season and they voted in favour of the season starting and being played to a completion ?

Exactly.  If the government hadn't ponied up some dough how the hell were these clubs going to get to May if they are struggling to get past December FFS.  How much cash do they think they will get ?  Once 10mill has been split between 30 league clubs, how ever many lower league clubs and women's football i can't see any club getting enough money to pay its wage bill for 6 months.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Yep, that was my understanding.
There would be something quite satisfying to see Morton go belly up and for the club top of League One to need to replace them in the Championship. Could you imagine the seethe? [emoji16]
Sadly not the process.....

I couldn't give a f*ck who goes bust as long as it isnae The Bairns. Mind you, "I would love it" (copyright Kevin Keegan) if Forfar ( I know, not a Championship club) were one of those going tits up, their chairman's a cnut. For any clubs falling by the wayside, there are plenty of others such as Kelty, Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg Rose etc. who would be happy to make the step up and take their place. No crocodile tears from me.

3 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I couldn't give a f*ck who goes bust as long as it isnae The Bairns. Mind you, "I would love it" (copyright Kevin Keegan) if Forfar ( I know, not a Championship club) were one of those going tits up, their chairman's a cnut. For any clubs falling by the wayside, there are plenty of others such as Kelty, Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg Rose etc. who would be happy to make the step up and take their place. No crocodile tears from me.

Its the Raith comments to the end of last season and the "committed to league reconstruction" 

Another club source told us: “There are clubs in the Championship who have ambitions to get into the Premiership and are paying players and staff accordingly. They are the ones in need of urgent assistance."
Why the feck should the Scottish government fund the pipe dreams of these clubs.  We all want to get into the top flight but that doesn't mean we should be building squads of players that we can't afford to get there. Ludicrous stuff.

Football is no different to any other entertainment or hospitality business. The pandemic has stopped them earning the money they would usually bring in due to government retributions. For that reason they deserve support whether they are paying £100/week or £1000/week.

47 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Football is no different to any other entertainment or hospitality business. The pandemic has stopped them earning the money they would usually bring in due to government retributions. For that reason they deserve support whether they are paying £100/week or £1000/week.

Clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly though.  Restaurants etc will have cut staff etc reduced supply. If clubs are still paying players wages they can't afford in the championship then why should the govt find their overspend.

28 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Clubs need to cut their cloth accordingly though.  Restaurants etc will have cut staff etc reduced supply. If clubs are still paying players wages they can't afford in the championship then why should the govt find their overspend.

Disagree tbh, I reckon most clubs have already cut back where possible. And anyway, we are one of the wealthiest countries in the world. So much so that we can spunk literally hundreds of billions of pounds on pointless shite like Trident, Brexit, HS2, find an extra 16 billion under the mattress for defence spending, give domcum a 45k payrise etc etc

What's another few bob piled on to a national debt of over 2 trillion? Football/ sports clubs, theatres, restaurants, cinemas, nightclubs et al are quite simply a massive part of the fabric of our society. Both in the jobs they provide and their value to the local communities they serve.

The government should be doing as much as possible to provide help to anyone that genuinely needs it, even if that's in the form of long term loans. Football clubs will get less sympathy than most (and maybe in the case of the EPL, fair enough), but the impact of COVID is going to remain severe going in to 2021. Until the vaccine has been rolled out to a large enough percentage of the population and we can open the economy back up ,the government is going to need to help out - it is our money after all. 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

16 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Disagree tbh, I reckon most clubs have already cut back where possible. And anyway, we are one of the wealthiest countries in the world. So much so that we can spunk literally hundreds of billions of pounds on pointless shite like Trident, Brexit, HS2, find an extra 16 billion under the mattress for defence spending, give domcum a 45k payrise etc etc

What's another few bob piled on to a national debt of over 2 trillion? Football/ sports clubs, theatres, restaurants, cinemas, nightclubs et al are quite simply a massive part of the fabric of our society. Both in the jobs they provide and their value to the local communities they serve.

The government should be doing as much as possible to provide help to anyone that genuinely needs it, even if that's in the form of long term loans. Football clubs will get less sympathy than most (and maybe in the case of the EPL, fair enough), but the impact of COVID is going to remain severe going in to 2021. Until the vaccine has been rolled out to a large enough percentage of the population and we can open the economy back up ,the government is going to need to help out - it is our money after all. 

Morton have a squad of 22 players and are full time.  If their budget can't afford that they should be going part time or cutting their squad and bringing in players on less money.  If that means relegation then so be it but there's still obvious areas where clubs can make cuts. The problem is they want to have the same competiveness on less money and they then expect other sources like the govt to bail them out.  All these clubs were given the chance to hibernate this season but they chose to play. They were not forced into it. If they couldn't afford to get to Christmas then they have a cheek agreeing to play till fecking may knowing damn fine well that was never going to happen. Football's managed to look after itself down south so I'm sure the Scottish govt would've  been well  within their rights to expect it to do that up here too.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

TBF the clubs below the championship tend to have their ship in order. Outside the championship, Partick will have a few top earners in their squad for league one and perhaps Brechin the only ones who might have a struggle

Dundee are for sure one of the strugglers and they are one of the biggest culprits from the vote so ha fukn ha. I wouldnt rule out QoS even with the Dykes windfall as they were struggling before for a good few year. Id be surprised if Alloa or Arbroath are in there, part time clubs tend to have their ship in order but both will be rubbing their hands if clubs above them have cash problems.

It was consistently mentioned here and many will have thought that it will be a miracle if we dont lose a club or two this season. I do hope not but the clubs were well aware to get their ship in order before a ball was kicked. 

Their income has been slaughtered. Sorry but rivalry or not these clubs mean a lot to fans around the country and a lot of this is not of their doing. You can’t easily get shot of players under contract to cut their cloth accordingly or the other fixed costs

4 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Their income has been slaughtered. Sorry but rivalry or not these clubs mean a lot to fans around the country and a lot of this is not of their doing. You can’t easily get shot of players under contract to cut their cloth accordingly or the other fixed costs

3  of those clubs done that though before going into administration previously and thats without a pandemic.  I agree with you that those clubs mean a lot to supporters but in some cases those clubs have shafted players before  and doing a Sevco with money they don't have to wages they cant afford (See Bairdy on WDH for one reference).  I do think we have been lucky with KK with his ideas and as much as they might seem daft they bring in revenue at a time where more than just clubs are struggling.

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Problem is the clubs are looking to the Scottish Government for cash and given that Hollyrood is still reliant on Westminster for funding there is little in the way of money available for emergency payments.

Doesn’t help that we are still expected to pay “our share” of the costs of Brexit, HS2, Crossrail, Trident, Refurbishment of Palace of Westminster, corrupt PPE contracts etc.

Edited by Reggie Perrin