The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Just been thinking of something. If we win or avoid defeat next Saturday we'll have gone through the first round of league matches unbeaten. When was the last time that happened? 

Not since we got relegated from the SPL, and certainly not when we were in it. Which takes us back at least fifteen years. 

We won the league in 2004/05 but I remember us losing the first game of the season at Love St when John O Neill got a straight red for what I think was an alleged spitting incident. 

We also won it wo years before that, in our final season at Brockville. Jobbie got us off to a great start. We won every one of our first eight games and were unbeaten until the very last match of the first quarter, when we went up to Arbroath. I can vaguely recall rumours that he'd just told the players he was leaving for Tannadice. Which may explain why we lost 2-0.

I can't be bothered checking further back tonight, but I'll have a look through the stats tomorrow. It must be a hell of a long time ago though. Prior to Jobbie's side, the best team I saw was the Stainrod one and it only clicked after a 2-2 draw in thick fog at Dens Park. At which point I'm sure we'd already lost three or four games. And that was around 1990. 

So at least 30 years since we went through an opening quarter (or third in this case) unbeaten? Anyone know for sure, or care to check up and save me the bother? 

I can't believe you are making comparisons with the results of those great teams and the current one. As someone said earlier we are in League One playing village teams , with a far superior budget. Village teams that will be severely feeling the pinch and are much weaker than previous years.  

It's great that we are clear at the top and where we should be in this league, but let's keep our heads down and get on with winning it instead of crowing about unbeaten records against the likes of Forfar, Peterheid and Dumbarton. 

Morrison being double marked most of the time is a good thing despite his frustrations, should be a man extra somewhere else on the park.

As the managers says it’s a squad game not individuals. 

Solid win and 6/6 out the next 2 games would be a great foundation to go into January.

10 hours ago, MS RR said:

The only team I'm worried of us losing to is Partick and I'd be confident playing against them. This is definitely much better now, today we didn't really play amazing and won 3-0, that's the way it should be. 

I am the same but after we play PT in 2 weeks, we only play them once more. A win or even a draw for us and I can't see them overtaking us, the 6 point gap just looks too big for anyone to catch us.

If we lose, the gap is down to 3 and with still having to play them once more.... I find that the most worrying!!

10 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Looking pretty much like Sneddon and Laverty will be out on loan come the transfer window, but it’s unlikely we will be bringing in anyone. With the surprising form of the two most of us had serious reservations about ( Telfer Sammon) thankfully we are not scratching around for the usual influx of fringe players other managers are glad to see the arse of. For me getting Kelly in has been a great bit of business and with Dixon Hall Mercer we look a solid defensive unit. Our midfield looks strong but the argument still holds with what is our best set up. Yesterday I thought Gomis was outstanding, and just when it looked that Alston was picking up form/fitness he’s posted missing.

With Keenas injury issues nearly behind him, and maybe in the squad for the PT game, think we’re good up front. Freighting stats posted earlier about the shortened season, at the end of January we will have 14 games to play....

Makes sense for them to go out on loan as they aren't seeing any time on the pitch for us. Would leave us with a squad of 21 or 22 if you include Lee Miller. When Keena comes back in it'll be him and Dowds starting upfront. Very difficult to work out our best midfield just now which isn't really a bad thing. Obviously depends on how long Alston is out but Telfer and Gomis played well together in the middle of the park yesterday. Telfer goes looking for the ball more than Alston does and if his form continues it'll be interesting to see what they do when Alston comes back.

Francis needs to learn how to hold the ball in or he'll never make it. M&M did say when they signed him that he's very raw but he needs to get the basics up to scratch or his career won't be going anywhere. 

36 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Players that M&M do not intend to play other than a last resort. Then it's only fair they get a chance of first team football elsewhere.

Nearly 1/2 way through a season and in this position ! well done M&M

Forgot about laverty. I'd still like to see us strengthening at centre half. One injury there and we are considerably weaker , two and we're in a bit of bother.  Other than that nothing screams out although if you stand still in this game it's easy to be overtaken as others improve. Always good to freshen things up if the right player is available.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Looking pretty much like Sneddon and Laverty will be out on loan come the transfer window, but it’s unlikely we will be bringing in anyone. With the surprising form of the two most of us had serious reservations about ( Telfer Sammon) thankfully we are not scratching around for the usual influx of fringe players other managers are glad to see the arse of. For me getting Kelly in has been a great bit of business and with Dixon Hall Mercer we look a solid defensive unit. Our midfield looks strong but the argument still holds with what is our best set up. Yesterday I thought Gomis was outstanding, and just when it looked that Alston was picking up form/fitness he’s posted missing.

With Keenas injury issues nearly behind him, and maybe in the squad for the PT game, think we’re good up front. Freighting stats posted earlier about the shortened season, at the end of January we will have 14 games to play....

Any news on Alston?

M&M deserve a lot of credit for the results we've had since they came in.  Even with the Covid break, one league defeat in over a year (even at this level) is about as much we could have asked any manager taking over McKinnon's mess.  

Giving Telfer a contract was widely derided at the time (by me also) but decisions like that, bringing Kelly in to re-jig the defence and the majority of their signings in the last window suggest they're learning quickly on the job (removing Miller from midfield another good example).  At this stage I've no fears whatsoever about their management approach.  

I like Morrison but he has a lot to do to fully realise his potential.  I can see why Hearts fans were 50/50 on him leaving.  At the moment, he's hot and cold - partly that's down to marking but the markers aren't Paolo Maldini types.   In this league the likes of Armstrong at Raith last year played 8/10 every week.   Hopefully he and Dowds will get more confident and improve as the season goes on.  At the moment I think Keena will replace Dowds when he comes back rather than Sammon.  

Bringing Kelly in was a great move. The defense looks really settled now and Hall and Dixon are getting the best out of themselves/ each other. I think Mercer has also improved a lot since his first couple of appearances and looking like an upgrade on Doyle. 

We always knew Telfer could play but went hiding constantly under McKinnon. He missed pre-season and the LC games but already has half the goals and the same number of assists he managed in the whole of last season. That transformation under M&M isn't a coincidence

The midfield is a nice headache for the managers to have with 8 players that can all contribute. I'd say only Morrison can really be guaranteed a place in the starting 11 at the moment, even though Telfer and Gomis have been really good over the last couple of matches. Hopefully Alston's injury isn't too bad because he was also beginning to reach match sharpness 

Up front is still a slight concern, given that Francis, Sammon and Dowds have just 4 league goals between them.  I'd like to see BSLM play a bit more, at least until Keena comes back. 

The strength/ depth of squad has really helped us with the 5-subs rule this season, any time we are tiring it can just be freshened up and we get back on top.

The next two games are massive, win both and we are firmly in the driving seat. 

ETA: If Sneddon and Laverty go out on loan and we can sign someone as cover for CB/RB that would be a successful transfer window for us imo 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

3 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

M&M deserve a lot of credit for the results we've had since they came in.  Even with the Covid break, one league defeat in over a year (even at this level) is about as much we could have asked any manager taking over McKinnon's mess.  

Giving Telfer a contract was widely derided at the time (by me also) but decisions like that, bringing Kelly in to re-jig the defence and the majority of their signings in the last window suggest they're learning quickly on the job (removing Miller from midfield another good example).  At this stage I've no fears whatsoever about their management approach.  

I like Morrison but he has a lot to do to fully realise his potential.  I can see why Hearts fans were 50/50 on him leaving.  At the moment, he's hot and cold - partly that's down to marking but the markers aren't Paolo Maldini types.   In this league the likes of Armstrong at Raith last year played 8/10 every week.   Hopefully he and Dowds will get more confident and improve as the season goes on.  At the moment I think Keena will replace Dowds when he comes back rather than Sammon.  

Armstrong are you having a laugh?He only started 6 games as his form was so hit and miss. Spent more games on the bench.

7 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

I think looking on the flip side on that one if Laverty hasnt played by the transfer window opening and if Durnan hasnt played i could see it both of them. Durnan being a higher wage earner than Sneddon and Sneddon being seen as one for the future.  It would make more sense to send Durnan out as it looks like M & M have seen how much of a liability the guy is. Use the freed up wage or what percentage he is getting paid and bring in another CH/RB to see the season out as back up to Mercer or whoever is CH that gets injured.

If Keena is back before the end of January I'd like to see Francis going out on loan with an option to recall if need be. I'm not convinced there is a player there but if he is going to develop as some seem to think then he needs games to do so. Training with us full time and playing for a part time side lower down in this league or in League Two seems like a decent idea to me.

40 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If Keena is back before the end of January I'd like to see Francis going out on loan with an option to recall if need be. I'm not convinced there is a player there but if he is going to develop as some seem to think then he needs games to do so. Training with us full time and playing for a part time side lower down in this league or in League Two seems like a decent idea to me.

No point in option to recall as we couldn't play him till  next season anyway. 

Sneddon has at least 3 players in front of him in the queue to play. He needs to go on loan to have any chance of playing.

44 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I can see where your coming from on that one but he is only on a one year deal and think back to when we first signed Cadette no one ever thought he would turn out to be the player he ended up.  The lad is only 21and still a lot to learn which i think he could get from Miller in that one, still raw as been said though.

Been too used to disappointment over the years supporting Falkirk so until I see Gary Miller with the trophy in his hands, I’ll not get ahead of myself. I still think we’ll blow it at some point, just what we’ve been used too. However, if we get 6/6 from the next two games it will put us massive favourites. 

44 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No point in option to recall as we couldn't play him till  next season anyway. 

Sneddon has at least 3 players in front of him in the queue to play. He needs to go on loan to have any chance of playing.

Depends how you look at that one 2 of those are first team regulars Dixon and Kelly, Deveney is on a loan so could send him back if theres no chance of him getting a game so that boost Sneddons chances. Injury to Dixon or Kelly then his chances are boosted or do you recall Durnan put him CH and move Hall to Left CH.

Its been a while since we have approached a transfer window where its not been who gets the trebucheted to f**k away from the club and had to list a full first team and subs who need to gtf.

I can see where your coming from on that one but he is only on a one year deal and think back to when we first signed Cadette no one ever thought he would turn out to be the player he ended up.  The lad is only 21and still a lot to learn which i think he could get from Miller in that one, still raw as been said though.
Agree with this, Cadette never held balls up or ran channels etc, he just scored goals, Francis is a better finisher than Dowds! Folk trying to over complicated the game nowadays!