The Falkirk FC Thread

14 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Bollocks it was a competitive game in which we were very rusty but still good enough to win.

We may well lose on Saturday, though I very much doubt it, but if we do it will be bugger  all to do with “bogey teams”.

We are a long way from being a good team but we should be confident going into EVERY game in this league.

We will beat Airdrie this season, we have already beat Clyde, it happens in football that in a season a team can have their number more than often. I'll keep Aberdeen and Killie as teams that over a period have pissed on us repeatedly

We are a shadow of previous teams this season again but a slight improvement versus last seasons squad in that it seems more settled, more fight and we dont have overpaid players here for the cash.

11 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:
3 hours ago, roman_bairn said:
Loosely translated to, we should remain miserable until we finally exit this division.....
Happy Xmas, bah, humbug...

I'm going to stay miserable until we're back in Europe, just in case

Then you would probably be miserable because we get pumped out by a team from some wee tractor producing town in one of the former Soviet republics!

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Ask me at the end of the season ! Goodness knows what is going to happen between now and the final whistle of the final game.

If and it's a big If ! we get promoted we will require 6-7 players minimum to make sure we stay up.

I actually think staying up will be far easier than getting up in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I actually think staying up will be far easier than getting up in the first place. 

Momentum can be a help with the stagnated championship level, it really isnt very good at the moment, same applies the league above championship.

5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Momentum can be a help with the stagnated championship level, it really isnt very good at the moment, same applies the league above championship.

Plus we've done relatively well against championship or better sides over the last couple of seasons. Even Dunfermline who are riding high at the moment didn't embarrass us.

Hope so ! Don't think any of us can predict what the leagues will be like next season. But I do hope all clubs make it - but I have my doubts !

I should think the government grants system will be a big help and ensuring survival for most clubs.....at least in the short term...

We're all aware of that and to me we've never achieved our potential in 40 add years which is gauling. My point is that some like to greet about anything and everything no matter how good or bad were doing,and it isn't helpful. A bit positivity and togetherness wouldn't go amiss some times. There has to be a turning point and hopefully this season is it.
We are in this league whether we like it or not. We have to play and beat these teams to get promoted. The job of the managers is to put a team on the park who will win against our League 1 opposition. This has been achieved so far as we are undefeated in the league. To complain that the team and management are not as good as years ago is just silly. The players we can attract are players who want and are able to play in THIS division.
Get behind the team and don't criticise league one players for not having Premier skills!

I should think the government grants system will be a big help and ensuring survival for most clubs.....at least in the short term...

Not so sure. It’s grants and loans (with the loans subject to a commercial interest rate). Then you have our top flight via Doncaster trying to work out how to give any one outside the top flight as little as possible. Quite sure they will go for everyone getting a seven figure sum on a sliding scale between £2,000,000 and £10,000.38.

Not so sure. It’s grants and loans (with the loans subject to a commercial interest rate). Then you have our top flight via Doncaster trying to work out how to give any one outside the top flight as little as possible. Quite sure they will go for everyone getting a seven figure sum on a sliding scale between £2,000,000 and £10,000.38.

I understood that it’s loans for the top flight and grants for the Championship downwards.

No idea yet of the individual grant amounts available though....

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

I understood that it’s loans for the top flight and grants for the Championship downwards.

No idea yet of the individual grant amounts available though....

Aye. No idea how much we'll get. Will be interesting to see. I don't really give a monkeys about the top flight but I can't help feeling that charging them interest is a wee bit harsh.

If there’s a way to screw over the lower leagues, they’ll find it. Stripping receipts from Championship play offs to give the cash to the relegated top flight club is bad enough. I am pretty sure this will get dirty yet again with Aberdeen front and centre.

As an aside, anyone watch Ayr v Raith tonight? I struggle to see us needing half a dozen player upgrades just to stay in that league. That was 3rd v 4th, and it wasn’t great. Even with what we have now, I would reckon we would do ok against either of them.

As an aside, anyone watch Ayr v Raith tonight? I struggle to see us needing half a dozen player upgrades just to stay in that league. That was 3rd v 4th, and it wasn’t great. Even with what we have now, I would reckon we would do ok against either of them.
I agree that it's not half a dozen upgrades to stay up. It is to compete at the right end though.

11 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

We could win the Champions League beating Barcelona 20-0, it still wouldn't suit some folk.

Not the case at all, I think we're entitled to complain if we can't beat Forfar at home or fail to beat Clyde in the league in 3 attempts. The last 3 seasons have been been unacceptable and you can't be positive about performances which show no promise at all. This misplaced positivity has caused us problems recently, we gave Mackinnon way too long in the job. He should've been out the door after we were relegated, but certain fans stuck by him and whined about negative fans even though it was so evident he wasn't good enough. 

Not the case at all, I think we're entitled to complain if we can't beat Forfar at home or fail to beat Clyde in the league in 3 attempts. The last 3 seasons have been been unacceptable and you can't be positive about performances which show no promise at all. This misplaced positivity has caused us problems recently, we gave Mackinnon way too long in the job. He should've been out the door after we were relegated, but certain fans stuck by him and whined about negative fans even though it was so evident he wasn't good enough. 

Except that this discussion is about positivity THIS SEASON.
We all know things were bad in so many ways last season.
Despite that I still believe we would have went up had it not been for the pandemic....

From my perspective, Inverness and Dunfermline in particular were absolutely miles above anything we faced in League 1 last season. Even Ayr were a step above, considering we've been scoring for fun, they handled us well last night. 

The bottom few teams are rank though and Falkirk would easily finish above them. Really noticed a huge step up in opposition at the top end though. 

51 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

From my perspective, Inverness and Dunfermline in particular were absolutely miles above anything we faced in League 1 last season. Even Ayr were a step above, considering we've been scoring for fun, they handled us well last night. 

The bottom few teams are rank though and Falkirk would easily finish above them. Really noticed a huge step up in opposition at the top end though. 

We played Dunfermline  and I didn't think they were anything special.  Same with Ayr when we played them last season.  We comfortably beat Arbroath last season too and they were mid table.  It's certainly not the same standard as when we were playing Hibs and rangers at the top end.