The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Darryl Duffy if you go way back. I think it's more about building a relationship where the parent club know if they send one of their decent youngsters out to us they are going to get game time and develop. Deveney won't be doing anything for that cause unfortunately. But if you look at Partick for example year on year they get loans from the old firm.

Our loan signings as a whole have been pretty poor over the years. The odd gem but the poor ones outnumber them by far.

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

As you have stated it’s all about opinions.. 

Yes it is, but it's also about standards. We have been conditioned now to largely accept nothing too special, which in turn can affect your opinion.

Neat easy passing in the middle of the park means nothing if there is no end product. Maybe Rangers let us do that whilst cantering to a 4-0 win, and bringing a 16 year old on.   

In the end you have to be realistic - I get that - but also not forget how the custodians of our club have allowed our standards to drop enough that we are "happy" with a 4-0 loss and a wee bit of non threatening play compared to actually beating Rangers like we used to not that long ago. I'm not moaning I'm just sad.

4 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Was talking to him at work one night a year or two ago (did not recognize him) and after he found out i was a Falkirk fan. Talked about how Steven Pressley was a dick of a manager 

Well he would say that, he was eventually dropped by Pressley because he wasn't good enough. 

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Disagree, with the recent changes in the BOD we have identified and carried out the necessary changes. Conditioned to accept nothing to special? Maybe with the old regime, but not now, neat easy passing in the middle of the park, get a grip we were playing a team with probably the best form in the UK. 
Yes we had little up front but don’t patronise...

To be fair, and maybe I should have stated this , I was referring to the old regime rather than the one that's just in the door.

I said I was being realistic & I think you are missing my point , Rangers allowed us to play where it did not hurt them, a lot of good teams do that. I know they are a very good team even with 7 changes and some kids brought on .  But I said there was no end product to our play, it's ineffective,  rather than we had little up front (I think BPM said that) so I can't see how that's patronizing.  

15 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Which ones?

First three . 
Despite Durnan slipping he got his angles wrong was way to near the post and lease a pass into the goal too simple

Second one he dropped the ball at the guys feet.
Third his positioning of the wall and himself  was very poor. 
He is a young guy and I’m sure he will go on to do well in the game but we have the best keeper outside the premier league and  although he was rightly punished for his cock up it’s time to get him back in .

Disagree he was at fault for the 1st or 3rd.

Maybe caught on his heels slightly but it was a good finish by Defoe tbf, yes a tight angle but struck well and right in the far corner. First goal fault lies clearly with Durnan for me.

Re the 3rd goal - wall position was fine. If he stands further across to stop the goal in that corner, he risks getting done at the other side, as the Dumbarton keeper did against us in midweek.

Not that I would object to putting Mutch back in. He's a better keeper overall and our keeper so we might as well play him.

56 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

He is a young guy and I’m sure he will go on to do well in the game but we have the best keeper outside the premier league and  although he was rightly punished for his cock up it’s time to get him back in .

Agreed, Morrison has been fine but Mutch is our player. He was rightly benched after his ludicrous red which cost us 2 points but once he's fit again he should be starting.

He's a good keeper, a lot of potential and he's actually a player who's became better at Falkirk over a few seasons. Not sure how many players like that we've had in recent years.

People seem to forget that before he got sent off against forfar mutch had been shaky as hell in that game. I'm not sure his form this season up till then had been anywhere near the season before either. Morrison has done fine so far. I'd wait till he has a poor league game if he ever does before making a change. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

52 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Disagree he was at fault for the 1st or 3rd.

Maybe caught on his heels slightly but it was a good finish by Defoe tbf, yes a tight angle but struck well and right in the far corner. First goal fault lies clearly with Durnan for me.

Re the 3rd goal - wall position was fine. If he stands further across to stop the goal in that corner, he risks getting done at the other side, as the Dumbarton keeper did against us in midweek.

Not that I would object to putting Mutch back in. He's a better keeper overall and our keeper so we might as well play him.

I agree with that.

Re the 1st goal, yes Durnan slipped/stumbled but made a complete hash of trying to head the ball in the first place. Looking at the FTV highlights it looks like PJ just meekly watches the ball roll past him, making no effort to get to it, but the angle shown by PS shows that Defoe puts it right in the corner, giving the keeper no chance. Looked like a fluke on the telly but I'm sure it was intentional given the quality the guy has.

No keeper was getting to that free kick either, no matter where the wall was or what his positioning was.

I agree that Mutch should be in as we're trying to get the guy into the shop window. He's a good goalie but I wish he'd cut out trying to prove how good he is with the ball at his feet! There's been a couple of high profile mistakes made and he got off with one recently when he tried to chip the ball over an attackers head, knocked it straight up in the air instead and had to head it clear. Just do the simple things Robbie and you'll be fine.

If we do manage to sell Mutch, I'd be happy if we were able to get PJ in to replace him too.

Not at all sure that Mutch deserves the level of adoration he receives.

Good keeper but a long way from being a really top quality player.

I think the fact that he has been surrounded by donkeys in his time with us makes him appear better than he actually is.

Hope that I am wrong though and the lad does go on to have a good career.

I think the fact that he has been surrounded by donkeys in his time with us makes him appear better than he actually is.

Not sure that's how it works for keepers

32 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I agree - he did well last year but had we been in the championship he'd have had a lot more to do and we'd have a better sense of just how good he is.  

On the point of whether or not we played well v Rangers.  I don't think its fair to compare how well we do at the moment v teams of years gone by who were better quality and in higher leagues.  At the moment we're in league 1 with players that are poorer than we'd be able to attract in the championship or above.  

Its all relative - relatively speaking we competed ok given where we and Rangers are at the moment.  

Its nonsense to call that accepting mediocrity - it just reflects where we are right now.  

They put 8 past Hamilton and are averaging nearly 3 goals a game in the Premiership. We're a third division team, I think we did ok. When the first went in I really thought it could be a humiliating circus on a Morten level. 

2 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Boys a 22 year old keeper ffs, most havent even seen the first team by that age. He is a great talent, get him back in the team ASAP imo.

Edited by sick boy

3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

I think he deserves the backing of the fans tbh.

They put 8 past Hamilton and are averaging nearly 3 goals a game in the Premiership. We're a third division team, I think we did ok. When the first went in I really thought it could be a humiliating circus on a Morten level. 

This probably sums it up. “We did Ok”