The Falkirk FC Thread

Which 4? By my reckoning A and G can't have a 2nd place team on 9pts and C could two teams tied on 9 if Peterhead beat St J on pens but they'd have a poorer GD than us.  Not a done deal but would take an odd set of results. 

Group A max 7 points for second place.

In C, Peterhead and St Johnstone would have 9 and 8 points so an 8 point second place finish.

Similar in Group D as Arbroath and Elgin play each other and are both on 6 points.

In Group G there actually is a combination but it needs Morton to beat St Mirren on a penalty shoot out then both teams to win their final games by a high margin.

Having reviewed the other groups can get to 9 points but it would take very specific results in each section, they all have to happen and they all need a GD of at least +6.

I think we can say it’s 1/100 that we are through....

ps. Remember it’s only 2 points for the winners of a penalty shoot out, not 3.

I was in the North Stand that day (we had half of it). Loads of QOS fans were in fancy dress, celebrating an unlikely survival (?)
I was about ready to murder someone due to that song. And Alan useless twat Kernaghan.
Nah we finished 4th that year. No particular occasion, just the last game in a really good season by our standards. Cracking day out. The result was a great outcome all round: it rounded the day off for us and Falkirk fans probably didn't give a f**k as they were promoted.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was applauded off the park in your disaster season under Hartley. He got 3 but he really should have got about 6/7 that day. I can't recall games against Houston but I imagine Dobbie did do a bit of damage back then.

Was a really nice touch to see the fans do that tbf given how awful the side you were forced to watch that season. Slightly O/T but I recall the season Falkirk went up we beat you on the final day and sang that wheelbarrow song the entire match. Both sets of fans applauded each other at the end that day as well.

Bizarrely I was both those games...bizarre because I live in Australia.     

The QOS fans in the promotion match were pretty dam brilliant that day and I  still remember it even now.

The Hartley match was the first time I'd seen FFC in a few years and I was stunned how bad we were that day. QOS should have won by about 8 and even more bizarrely our usually hopeless goalie Fasam stopped that from happening that day. 

9 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

With a free Saturday before we play Cove, and a chance for those injured to recover, will M&M stick with the second half starting eleven ? For me the team looked far more balanced and my only concern is that Alston seemed to huff and puff (again)

I think it's hard to read too much into the game given how depleted Dumbarton were. One thing for certain is I'd be starting Sammon over Francis. I'm hoping they stick with that defence as well.

Edited by wee_bairn

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

With a free Saturday before we play Cove, and a chance for those injured to recover, will M&M stick with the second half starting eleven ? For me the team looked far more balanced and my only concern is that Alston seemed to huff and puff (again)

I thought the team looked more balanced and more comfortable defending. We also played quite high as well, forcing dumbarton to sit in a fair bit more.

Maybe the team and tactics to use against Cove? Meggison and McAllister aren't quick so less likely to get onto a ball over the top but Goodwillie showed that decent strikers only need a few chances to score.

I'd like to think that we'll go attacking against Cove rather than show them any respect.

I thought we were poor first half, Morrison took his goal well though. Second half Dumbarton just ran out of steam, and was only one winner after it went two nil. As others have mentioned pretty difficult to guage against a patchwork Dumbarton side, but four goals and a clean sheet. Thought Francis was pretty much anonymous, Miller grew into the game at right back, Morrison best player on the park, and Kelly looked a bit sharper and more mobile than Dixon at left back.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:
I was in the North Stand that day (we had half of it). Loads of QOS fans were in fancy dress, celebrating an unlikely survival (?)
I was about ready to murder someone due to that song. And Alan useless twat Kernaghan.

Nah we finished 4th that year. No particular occasion, just the last game in a really good season by our standards. Cracking day out. The result was a great outcome all round: it rounded the day off for us and Falkirk fans probably didn't give a f**k as they were promoted.

How's James Maxwell playing for you guys?  Came through our youth and was a top prospect before we closed the academy and rangers picked him up.

How's James Maxwell playing for you guys?  Came through our youth and was a top prospect before we closed the academy and rangers picked him up.
I had no idea he came through the Falkirk ranks, I just assumed he was through Rangers's. It's early days but I'll go out on a limb here and say that's a sore one for Falkirk. He looks a really good player with a bright future. As a unit we have been terrible defensively at times so far but even so he's looked good. Composed on the ball and not afraid to get stuck in. The last two games he's scored a couple of peaches into the bargain.

If he continues to develop with no injury concerns then I expect he'll eventually be playing at a higher level.

57 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I thought we were poor first half, Morrison took his goal well though. Second half Dumbarton just ran out of steam, and was only one winner after it went two nil. As others have mentioned pretty difficult to guage against a patchwork Dumbarton side, but four goals and a clean sheet. Thought Francis was pretty much anonymous, Miller grew into the game at right back, Morrison best player on the park, and Kelly looked a bit sharper and more mobile than Dixon at left back.

I genuinely fear what a fully fit Aidan Keena and Calumn Morrison will be able to do to teams in this division if you guys can get them playing well together. Morrison was absolutely tremendous last night and, as I touched on in commentary, really has everything. He's always a threat going forward, really good on the ball and quick. But he also will quite happily get stuck in and do the dirty side of the game.

On that performance, and based on what he did for East Fife, I'm really surprised Hearts let him go.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I had no idea he came through the Falkirk ranks, I just assumed he was through Rangers's. It's early days but I'll go out on a limb here and say that's a sore one for Falkirk. He looks a really good player with a bright future. As a unit we have been terrible defensively at times so far but even so he's looked good. Composed on the ball and not afraid to get stuck in. The last two games he's scored a couple of peaches into the bargain.

If he continues to develop with no injury concerns then I expect he'll eventually be playing at a higher level.

Yeah he always looked like he was going to be an excellent player. Only one of many I fear that we've missed out on due to some of the idiots that were allowed to run our club.

Great to see Durnan dropped though I assume Mercer was injured which is why he wasn't on the bench.  Pushing Miller out of midfield to RB was by necessaity rather than design.  Whatever the reason it worked so really hope we don't go back to Miller in midfield v Cove.  

Sammon in for Francis now seems like a no brainer and hopefully Telfer in for Leitch too.  Leitch looks capable but doesn't get on the ball nearly enough.  

Great to see Durnan dropped though I assume Mercer was injured which is why he wasn't on the bench.  Pushing Miller out of midfield to RB was by necessaity rather than design.  Whatever the reason it worked so really hope we don't go back to Miller in midfield v Cove.  
Sammon in for Francis now seems like a no brainer and hopefully Telfer in for Leitch too.  Leitch looks capable but doesn't get on the ball nearly enough.  

Changed days indeed, when we are looking forward to Sammon and Telfer coming back into the starting XI......

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Agree, apart from the Leitch/Telfer bit. Telfer's a central midfielder, no good wide. I agree that  Leitch doesn't get involved as much as he should but that's maybe because the out-ball seems to be Morrison most of the time. Leitch is no Usain Bolt either but he's faster than Telfer so more suited to a wide role IMO.

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Agree, apart from the Leitch/Telfer bit. Telfer's a central midfielder, no good wide. I agree that  Leitch doesn't get involved as much as he should but that's maybe because the out-ball seems to be Morrison most of the time. Leitch is no Usain Bolt either but he's faster than Telfer so more suited to a wide role IMO.

I agree. Telfer has never really shown up much out wide. As you say leitch needs to be given the ball more in an attacking position as he does seem to be able to do a bit with it when he gets the chance.

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I genuinely fear what a fully fit Aidan Keena and Calumn Morrison will be able to do to teams in this division if you guys can get them playing well together. Morrison was absolutely tremendous last night and, as I touched on in commentary, really has everything. He's always a threat going forward, really good on the ball and quick. But he also will quite happily get stuck in and do the dirty side of the game.

On that performance, and based on what he did for East Fife, I'm really surprised Hearts let him go.

We have still Aidan Connolly to come back aswell and he's a bit of pace and trickery about him. Him on one wing, Morrison on other, Keena in the middle with probably Dowds and we should be more of a threat. But keeping them all fit is key.