The Falkirk FC Thread

Why would Mark Kerr be any different from our current rookie managers? He inherited a great squad pushing for promotion, they'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the championship.

Agreed. Also, in a short campaign with just 23 games left to play, people are seriously advocating changing Manager to someone who needs to get to know the players and rebuild when we are in a good position to win the league, currently unbeaten, and qualify from our League Cup section.
At least wait to see what happens when we play Cove before drawing daggers.
It’s madness.....

2 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

I thought it an extremely odd decision at the time to appoint joint managers, I wonder who's idea it was. I'm still clinging to the hope it was the right one but I have my doubts. 

Maybe neither wanted to be in the other's shadow or more likely a complete cop-out by our BOD. However trying to please everyone always ends up divisive.

It's certainly not a long term option as they can't be equally as good at their job as each other and will evolve in different ways -  and the players will have their own favourite already which will undermine the other one's authority.    

We are stuck with it , we can only back them as it's so important to get out this league this season. 

I think it should've been McCracken with Miller as player/assistant. I don't think that they'd considered Miller as a player at the start though, so he may not have accepted the assistant's job on it's own?

Why would Mark Kerr be any different from our current rookie managers? He inherited a great squad pushing for promotion, they'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the championship.

He didn’t really but it’s easy to say that from the outside.

He probably wouldn’t leave at this stage anyway but he wouldn’t be any worse than what you’ve got.

He probably wouldn’t leave at this stage anyway but he wouldn’t be any worse than what you’ve got.

7 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I think it should've been McCracken with Miller as player/assistant. I don't think that they'd considered Miller as a player at the start though, so he may not have accepted the assistant's job on it's own?

So probably a cop-out by the BOD then. Surely a choice between an assistant's job and no job would not be a difficult one for Miller if that was the case.

I am racking my brains to think of an example where having co-managers was a success, anyone any ideas? I know there was the two at Ross County but it seems the club gave up on that recently and went with the one manager. 

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

From looking outside, you had a great team (maybe not great individuals but certainly played as a team). Top of the table pushing for promotion before IM left, I can't really remember Ayr doing so well.

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

So probably a cop-out by the BOD then. Surely a choice between an assistant's job and no job would not be a difficult one for Miller if that was the case.

I am racking my brains to think of an example where having co-managers was a success, anyone any ideas? I know there was the two at Ross County but it seems the club gave up on that recently and went with the one manager. 

Ferguson who was the co manager with Kettlewell at county has now went to be their Chief exec.   Previously before at County, he had experience in positions of football development with the SFA.

21 minutes ago, Albertobotswana said:

From looking outside, you had a great team (maybe not great individuals but certainly played as a team). Top of the table pushing for promotion before IM left, I can't really remember Ayr doing so well.

Won 5 of their first 7 with only one defeat and had just beat Dundee United 2 0 when Kerr took over. Next time they played them they were humped  4 0. Only won 7 out of their next 20. Kerr had an impact certainly their previous form fell off a cliff. If it hadn't been for their results at the start of the season under McCall they wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

From the outside, I always felt that the right experienced appointment would have won Falkirk the league last season.  Our main wobble coincided with Miller/Mcrackens first month or so in the job.  I personally think a new manager bounce would have taken Falkirk above us in that period, and probably wouldn't have looked back after January.  As it stood, we got through our tough period and into the new year top of the league.

All with the benefit of hindsight, of course.  

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There's really nothing to suggest he'd be any better either. I am far from convinced by our management team, but Kerr would just be re-treading the same path. If he had not played for us, would he even rate a mention?

Kerr has been very well-backed at Ayr, he appears to have brought in some exciting forward players in the likes of Anderson, Smith, Walsh and it's probably their best squad in a long time. Outside of Hearts, there's none that are significantly better in that league. I'd imagine their supporters' expectations have risen quite a bit as a result. Like Miller and McCracken, he's been given all of the tools for the job and it's now up to them to prove what, if anything, they have to offer as managers.

2 hours ago, Steven Mill Out said:

Some of you fuckers are really addicted to misery eh

Presumably you've spent the past decade looking on the bright side. How exactly has that worked out for us?

4 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Miller was still playing for Livingston at the time remember. I'm just speculating but thinking that maybe a player/assistant job would have been more attractive to him than the assistant's alone?

Coyle & Hughes did okay as joint managers although I think that it was suggested at the time that it was in name only and Coyle was the main man. Maybe a similar situation to what we have now?

Said it time and time again, I’d rather go for someone like Stewart Petrie of Montrose. I think we should have went for him before and it’s only a matter of time before he moves to a bigger team IMO. 

Doubt people will know about his Dunfermline connection but you could see that putting off some of the fans, weirdly. However I’m led to believe he’s got a good full time job out of football and reluctant to move into full time football management.

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Miller was still playing for Livingston at the time remember. I'm just speculating but thinking that maybe a player/assistant job would have been more attractive to him than the assistant's alone?

Coyle & Hughes did okay as joint managers although I think that it was suggested at the time that it was in name only and Coyle was the main man. Maybe a similar situation to what we have now?

God ....how could I have forgotten about Coyle and Hughes. Pretty forgetful of me.

Again though it was only for a season. As I said and for the reasons previously mentioned it's not a long term answer IMO.  I once had 2 bosses , it was an absolute nightmare.

23 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I expect we'll see Kelly start on Tuesday night - hopefully we'll also ditch Miller, Francis and Leitch from the starting XI. 

While its not been a terrific start, there's a bit of panic mongering going on here.  Tighten up at the back, get Keena, Connelly, Todd/Telfer back and I think we'll start picking up wins.  

Cove have started well but will drop plenty of points.  

If we win our next two games it will all be hunky dory again till we drop points again, it's very old firm attitude in league one when it suits.

As said we have had injuries that has hurt us because they are either unavailable or struggling to get up to speed. The harsh reality tho it's a short season and the defence is concerning but M&M had stated they had been looking for centre back for sometime, Kelly for me is coup but it's those kinda players who have no club that will drop to the 3rd tier, it can't be easy.

Miller probably had his worst game for us on Saturday, it's really one game like that since his time with us and it happens to every player. I hope we do make changes tonight and hoping two games in a week hopefully will do us good and no more injuries please.

23 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Peter grant has loads of experience both as a player, manager and coach.

Where has he been successful outside playing ?

I'm not knocking him but there must be a reason he is at Alloa and not at a full time club.

21 minutes ago, MrDust said:

If we win our next two games it will all be hunky dory again till we drop points again, it's very old firm attitude in league one when it suits.

As said we have had injuries that has hurt us because they are either unavailable or struggling to get up to speed. The harsh reality tho it's a short season and the defence is concerning but M&M had stated they had been looking for centre back for sometime, Kelly for me is coup but it's those kinda players who have no club that will drop to the 3rd tier, it can't be easy.

Miller probably had his worst game for us on Saturday, it's really one game like that since his time with us and it happens to every player. I hope we do make changes tonight and hoping two games in a week hopefully will do us good and no more injuries please.

Where has he been successful outside playing ?

I'm not knocking him but there must be a reason he is at Alloa and not at a full time club.

He's been a hugely successful coach in the EPL.  Was asst manager at West ham when they finished 9th in the top flight and got to the fa cup final. Managed at Norwich and Fulham although they were less successful it's still experience at a much higher level. He has coached also at celtic, Aston villa, westbrom, Birmingham,notts forest and has also held development roles at a number of top clubs. He has been the coach of the Scotland u21s and a member of the Scottish national team coaching staff.  Add to that the success he is having at alloa and I very much doubt anyone we look at will have a better CV or contacts list.