The Falkirk FC Thread

While we didn’t exactly blow it today, it was once again, a big opportunity missed.

Our back four today......Jesus Aitch Christ, they are bad, really bad. They are our season wreckers.

2 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

My point being is his fitness levels without improvement wouldn’t be a great choice for RB. 

He might be a steady Eddie. I mean, I dint think we can expect overlapping runs all day, but he would have Morrison in front of him. We dont really get that from Dixon on the other side either. Its whether hes a better option than Mercer. 

I don't mind the idea of three in the middle but we need to be making sure we aren't blunting Morrison, who has been our best player by a distance this year.

I was furious watching that second half but have calmed down a bit now. We are missing Mutch, Gomis, Keena, Miller, Connolly and Dowds went off injured. At least four of them are stick on starters. (I should say Morrison had a decent game in goals in fairness to him).

What is easy to criticise is our options defensively. I think the majority of our problems are coming from the fact we are a disorganised rabble at the back with no one able to play the ball out. My disdain for the Chuckle Brothers is well documented but Dixon is hopeless whenever he comes up against a wide player who can do any one thing effectively. Cardle and Williamson have been poor for Thistle since signing by all accounts but Dixon managed to make them look like Figo and Cafu respectively this afternoon. 

I'm in two minds about this game on Tuesday. A win would probably see us through and if we could get a televised game in the next round or a split of a stream against one of the OF it would probably let us bring in another player, but I would like to see them try something new whether it's personnel or formation ahead of that Cove game.

I think I will literally vomit if that greaseball Hartley beats us next week. Mental that we went up to Inverurie to play Cove a couple of years ago and it felt like we were turning up to a Saturday amateur side against the likes of Sibbald and Jakubiak.

Edited by Marshmallo

4 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Good post and the two players mentioned were given a serious hard time by some. What I’d give for them or even one of them now...

Sibbald is/was a tremendous talent. People forget he got a brutal injury when he was 17 which probably set him back. Could easily be playing at a similar or higher level to Jay Fulton if things had fallen differently.

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Sibbald is/was a tremendous talent. People forget he got a brutal injury when he was 17 which probably set him back. Could easily be playing at a similar or higher level to Jay Fulton if things had fallen differently.

Lack of pace killed him. If he'd had pace he'd be playing in the EPL.

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Lack of pace killed him. If he'd had pace he'd be playing in the EPL.

You could be right mate. From the academy I have always thought Arfield was the best product we’ve ever had and he was always more dynamic and physical than Sibbs but for pure football ability, Sibbs was different class.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't mind the idea of three in the middle but we need to be making sure we aren't blunting Morrison, who has been our best player by a distance this year.

I was furious watching that second half but have calmed down a bit now. We are missing Mutch, Gomis, Keena, Miller, Connolly and Dowds went off injured. At least four of them are stick on starters. (I should say Morrison had a decent game in goals in fairness to him).

What is easy to criticise is our options defensively. I think the majority of our problems are coming from the fact we are a disorganised rabble at the back with no one able to play the ball out. My disdain for the Chuckle Brothers is well documented but Dixon is hopeless whenever he comes up against a wide player who can do any one thing effectively. Cardle and Williamson have been poor for Thistle since signing by all accounts but Dixon managed to make them look like Figo and Cafu respectively this afternoon. 

I'm in two minds about this game on Tuesday. A win would probably see us through and if we could get a televised game in the next round or a split of a stream against one of the OF it would probably let us bring in another player, but I would like to see them try something new whether it's personnel or formation ahead of that Cove game.

I think I will literally vomit if that greaseball Hartley beats us next week. Mental that we went up to Inverurie to play Cove a couple of years ago and it felt like we were turning up to a Saturday amateur side against the likes of Sibbald and Jakubiak.

Cove is a week on Saturday

20 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I’m really not sure what Miller offers in midfield. I’d like to see them try something different because he’s like playing with a man down in there

He should be the steel in there. Breaking up attacks and winning the ball and then giving it to the boys that can create. Should just be doing the simple stuff.

44 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You could be right mate. From the academy I have always thought Arfield was the best product we’ve ever had and he was always more dynamic and physical than Sibbs but for pure football ability, Sibbs was different class.

Alan Gow was similar. Lots of ability but no pace which prevented him doing it at a higher level than us at the time really.

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

I’m really not sure what Miller offers in midfield. I’d like to see them try something different because he’s like playing with a man down in there

We know what he brings to the midfield, he's just not bringing it at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I always thought Gow was lazy too.

I remember when he played against us for Airdrie in the championship. He was different class and we couldn't get the ball off him. A league up though he was not as potent. Was perhaps a bit lazy but he also was too slow to make the most of his skill at that level.

Only threatened when behind, we were quite content to soak up pressure and hope for a 1 nil win. Showed how poor partick were once we started going forward. Can't comment on start of game or either of our goals due to the terrible live stream from thistle, late starting and cut out numerous times during the game. 

4 hours ago, steveffc said:
4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
Cove is a week on Saturday

Can't believe you missed Rudy's ramblings to correct this!

Cove are going to be a real threat this year and whilst I subscribe to the feeling that Hartley is a wee shite  I believe in the right set up he’s a far better manager than our  current two incumbents . 
The truth is that Hartley was tapped by his Faither in law to move to Cove at a time he and his family were being treated as Weegie outcasts by us.Mainly  because  we had lost the plot and  were asking him to implement and put his name to a hair brained concept  —“the Brentford model” - not his choice or plan ( and we all know how that ended up. ) 

Hartley was also having to deal with lex , Maggie  and co on a daily basis, neither of whom had a  clue about running a successful club yet he  was expected to take  the blame if the whole plan backfired and we were total shite !
I’m not surprised he engineered his exit by giving up on us and I’m sure the move was financially beneficial for him. I actually  believe he can be  a very good man manager / motivator especially when the chips are against him. ( as they will be next week )
Cove a well run very very linear club one guy in charge of the business and one in charge of the team  His  team  are very focused on success and on a roll , It would be foolish indeed of us to underestimate him. 

Cove are going to be a real threat this year and whilst I subscribe to the feeling that Hartley is a wee shite  I believe in the right set up he’s a far better manager than our  current two incumbents . 
The truth is that Hartley was tapped by his Faither in law to move to Cove at a time he and his family were being treated as Weegie outcasts by us.Mainly  because  we had lost the plot and  were asking him to implement and put his name to a hair brained concept  —“the Brentford model” - not his choice or plan ( and we all know how that ended up. ) 
Hartley was also having to deal with lex , Maggie  and co on a daily basis, neither of whom had a  clue about running a successful club yet he  was expected to take  the blame if the whole plan backfired and we were total shite !
I’m not surprised he engineered his exit by giving up on us and I’m sure the move was financially beneficial for him. I actually  believe he can be  a very good man manager / motivator especially when the chips are against him. ( as they will be next week )
Cove a well run very very linear club one guy in charge of the business and one in charge of the team  His  team  are very focused on success and on a roll , It would be foolish indeed of us to underestimate him. 

Em. Good managers don’t accept a full team of duds without even looking at them.
He didn’t give up on us.
He was washed up and bailed out by his father in law. Not the reverse....

I always said the football side is the manager's responsibility and the board are responsible for picking a manager, hartley wasn't  a bad pick at the time without hindsight. So is good to now know the board were picking the players and the team, and none of it was wee Paul's fault, poor scone sold down the river by the big bad board... Always wondered if Hartley got anything financially from all those deals as said by roman bairn even semi competent managers have a look or assess players. I don't really see Hartley as the type of guy who would just accept the board pulling the strings