The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Put it out to tender and let the manufacturers make their pitches excusing the pun. Features , Benefits , Costs , Payment terms , Length of warranty.

It a buyers market and in the long term it could be great value for the club to buy now.

The tender would require a large loading towards a practical test of the surface.

I’ve  been involved in enough tenders and sat through (and given) many presentations that look and sound attractive but ultimately are not best suited to the client’s requirements.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The tender would require a large loading towards a practical test of the surface.

I’ve  been involved in enough tenders and sat through (and given) many presentations that look and sound attractive but ultimately are not best suited to the client’s requirements.

Please don't encourage HSW with the business speak , he will back on again rabbiting about business plans, risk assessments and inviting the guys up from ARCO for advice on artificial turf. 😀

59 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Maybe we have some artificial grass experts that can confirm what “best fits” but my understanding is that there are several types of artificial surfaces.

Not an expert on artificial surfaces however  can’t remember anyone having a go at us, unlike many clubs who’s surfaces get a bit of a doing....

The Dutch one we put down initially seemed to be very well received and got a lot of plaudits all be it it’s now becoming a little tired nearing the end of its life span. I’d be happy if we went with the same company again so we know what we are getting regarding the quality. 

For me Gasparotto was a perfect case in point of the type of player Falkirk should never sign. 

We were his big step up. Delighted to be here and an achievement in his career. Almost all of these types of players we have signed recently have been guff. Last season and season before  - Telfer, Doyle, Buchanan, Hall, Denny Johnstone (remember him?), Tidser, Froxylias, Lewis Kidd, joe McKee, Mark Russell.

All players id say were average at very very best for us and probably saw us as a last big step in their careers.

As rough as it may sound our best signings are usually guys who don’t want to play for us. Last season - McManus (and season before rudden), Andy Nelson, Jakubiak and then back further the standouts in Lyle Taylor and the Fultons, Sibbalds etc of our squads.

Of course there’s middle ground and guys who’ve had experience who do good jobs (gomis, Gary Miller etc) but there’s definitely a pattern. I was really hopeful that Keena Dowds and Francis would be of a similar mould and it’s probably too early to say if any of them are playing at a lower level than they should be. 

28 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

For me Gasparotto was a perfect case in point of the type of player Falkirk should never sign. 

We were his big step up. Delighted to be here and an achievement in his career. Almost all of these types of players we have signed recently have been guff. Last season and season before  - Telfer, Doyle, Buchanan, Hall, Denny Johnstone (remember him?), Tidser, Froxylias, Lewis Kidd, joe McKee, Mark Russell.

All players id say were average at very very best for us and probably saw us as a last big step in their careers.

As rough as it may sound our best signings are usually guys who don’t want to play for us. Last season - McManus (and season before rudden), Andy Nelson, Jakubiak and then back further the standouts in Lyle Taylor and the Fultons, Sibbalds etc of our squads.

Of course there’s middle ground and guys who’ve had experience who do good jobs (gomis, Gary Miller etc) but there’s definitely a pattern. I was really hopeful that Keena Dowds and Francis would be of a similar mould and it’s probably too early to say if any of them are playing at a lower level than they should be. 

So Morton to Falkirk for a player is a big step up but East Fife or the sixth tier in English football to Falkirk isn't? Gasparroto looked like a rolls royce of a defender at Morton, he was tall, fast and physical as well. We couldn't forsee that he wouldn't have the attitude for it so that first part of your post is farcical. For all we knew at the time he could have been our next Murray Wallace considering both of them came through the youth ranks at Rangers. You sign players based on their potential and he looked like a very good prospect at the time.

Edited by FFC 1876

So Morton to Falkirk's for a players big step up but East Fife or the sixth tier in English football to Falkirk isn't? Gasparroto looked like a rolls royce of a defender at Morton, he was tall, fast and physical as well. We couldn't forsee that he wouldn't have the attitude for it so that first part of your post is farcical. For all we knew at the time he could have been our next Murray Wallace considering both of them came through the youth ranks at Rangers. You sign players based on their potential and he looked like a very good prospect at the time.
I dont think many had a bad word to say about the signing at the time. In fact I think it was a signing that was very well received.

Had no problem with the Gasperottto signing at the time. Didn’t work out, these things happen. We were hardly a massive step up from Morton, still playing in the same division, and the guy had been at Rangers, we weren’t the biggest club he played for.

You could even argue that if we were a big step up and delighted to be here, he would do everything he could do to stay...

3 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

The Dutch one we put down initially seemed to be very well received and got a lot of plaudits all be it it’s now becoming a little tired nearing the end of its life span. I’d be happy if we went with the same company again so we know what we are getting regarding the quality. 

Didn't QoS use the same company ?

There pitch was terrible,had to be relaid and still was terrible.

We were lucky and 2nd time round hopefully we are again but I have a fear we might end up with a livvy product

10 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Didn't QoS use the same company ?

There pitch was terrible,had to be relaid and still was terrible.

We were lucky and 2nd time round hopefully we are again but I have a fear we might end up with a livvy product

No idea where the QOTS pitch came from,  ours was definitely from a Dutch company and was very well received even by the opposition when it first went down. It would make sense to use the same company again 

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

I loved the part where it was described as a "no brainer" by Mr Deans

I dare say that was probably before it came out with Gow linking up with Lang and AT, by all accounts with GD comments in regards to him pulling his weight and doing the job or he is out and with Rawlins investment being approved then that pretty much made his position untenable.  It wouldn't have worked with him having links to the clusterf**ks that got us to the position we are in just now especially with Rawlins now on board it would be a stitch up to make sure it failed then position himself for a takeover with the other 2.

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

No idea where the QOTS pitch came from,  ours was definitely from a Dutch company and was very well received even by the opposition when it first went down. It would make sense to use the same company again 

Raith rovers definitely have the same one as us.