The Falkirk FC Thread

Many St Mid & Ross C fans all saying we’ve got a very good player ( especially in third tier) happy we’ve got changes for the better, still need changes in midfield 

It’ll be interesting to see if the young Kilmarnock loanee is tried at left midfield. Even though I’ve not seen much of him, I’m hoping he’s got energy, which is what we need in midfield just now

11 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Happy with the signing, hopefully means Dixon moves in one and gets rid of one of Hall/Durnan. 

Gives a bit of flexibility with a back 3 and wingbacks seeing as that is all the rage right now too.

Maybe hall? Dixon and durnan have perhaps played in there together at United with a bit of luck.

9 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Tip of an Iceberg;

Dundee United: Club in talks with players over wage deferrals or cuts.

I've no sympathy for them to be honest. They were signing players right up to the window. Players should tell them to chuck it especially if the rumours about them not including new signings are true.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

10 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Many St Mid & Ross C fans all saying we’ve got a very good player ( especially in third tier) happy we’ve got changes for the better, still need changes in midfield 

When you say changes in midfield are you alluding to a new player or mixing up the current squad? Badly need the injuries and fitness levels to pick up rapidly in what is already a short season. Keena back for Thistle would be ideal.

1 minute ago, wee_bairn said:

When you say changes in midfield are you alluding to a new player or mixing up the current squad? Badly need the injuries and fitness levels to pick up rapidly in what is already a short season. Keena back for Thistle would be ideal.

He probably means not playing with Gomis & Miller in the middle of the park together and finding someone who can actually naturally play out on the left like Deveney or Sneddon.

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Maybe hall? Dixon and durnan have perhaps played in there together at United with a bit of luck.

Durnan after Airdrie away last season was doing okay as he was just being asked to defend but now trying to build from the back which neither of them suit. 

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

He probably means not playing with Gomis & Miller in the middle of the park together and finding someone who can actually naturally play out on the left like Deveney or Sneddon.

I reckon sneddon is way out the picture with the signings we have made. Possibly go out on loan but looks like a cheap gamble for the future.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Yeahp, I’d suspect the budget is well and truly gone unless we are trying to loan anyone out.

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

Hall's one of the softest centre backs we've ever had. Constantly gets bullied by whoevers playing against him. I'd imagine every time he makes a foul he says sorry.

I’d agree. Durnan over Hall every time for me. He’s better in the air and far more aggressive. Distribution from both is similar which should be helped by having Dixon in there.

13 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Yeahp, I’d suspect the budget is well and truly gone unless we are trying to loan anyone out.

Yeah we have 9 midfielders on the books already the problem is M&M haven't recruited anyone with drive in there. Other than Morrison & Connolly, the rest of the midfield is one dimentional. 

Edited by FFC 1876

10 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Tip of an Iceberg;

Dundee United: Club in talks with players over wage deferrals or cuts.

Yes, the iceberg that clubs with a 133% wages to turnover ratio inevitably hit. An appallingly run football club, absolutely blew their beans and then some last season, chucked everything at it. Signed guys like McNulty and Fuchs when they must have known how bad things were, so now the rest of the squad need to take a pay cut to keep them afloat whilst these new signings stay on full wages. Laughable stuff. Like their wee pals from Kirkcaldy, took their promotion, did not give a single f**k about the impact on other clubs and had no interest in even discussing any form of reconstruction. Their mind was completely closed. Cheats. Zero sympathy.

1 minute ago, AGPar said:

Yes, the iceberg that clubs with a 133% wages to turnover ratio inevitably hit. An appallingly run football club, absolutely blew their beans and then some last season, chucked everything at it. Signed guys like McNulty and Fuchs when they must have known how bad things were, so now the rest of the squad need to take a pay cut to keep them afloat whilst these new signings stay on full wages. Laughable stuff. Like their wee pals from Kirkcaldy, took their promotion, did not give a single f**k about the impact on other clubs and had no interest in even discussing any form of reconstruction. Their mind was completely closed. Cheats. Zero sympathy.

Losing 3.7 million in the championship and then signing Shankland I can only imagine what the latest figures will look like but they’ll just use covid as a cover up of the poor running of the club.

28 minutes ago, AGPar said:

I still think we could have caught them.  We had a game in hand and they were stuttering like fuck the month before lockdown.

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

9 - 317 Appearances

Over a decade from the late 50's to the late 60's. Not a player I'm familiar with, but he must have done something right to stick around for so long. Scored 8 times.

John Hunter.

PS The first of our heroes to pass the 300 game barrier.

"Bunts"... solid no frills left back.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hall's one of the softest centre backs we've ever had. Constantly gets bullied by whoevers playing against him. I'd imagine every time he makes a foul he says sorry.

Scott Shepherd outmuscled him last week. 

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

9 - 317 Appearances

Over a decade from the late 50's to the late 60's. Not a player I'm familiar with, but he must have done something right to stick around for so long. Scored 8 times.

John Hunter.

PS The first of our heroes to pass the 300 game barrier.

Known as Ian Hunter.

Great servant to the club.

Local lad who went to the Warriors, I think, after us.

26 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I still think we could have caught them.  We had a game in hand and they were stuttering like f**k the month before lockdown.

Quite possibly, for all their reckless spending, they did not look all that impressive after a blistering start. But if the playing field was more level you maybe would not have lost the nucleus of a very decent squad - McCart, Rooney, Walsh - whilst they were chucking 5k a week at Shankland and their neighbours with two administrations under their belt were running about signing Adam and Dorrans. It will never happen, but clubs should be made to open up their books prior to the start of the season for scrutiny by competent individuals or bodies (i.e. no-one currently involved in the running of Scottish football. Those who do not meet the criteria are then simply told they won't be starting the season and will need to re-apply for election to the league. A pipe=dream unfortunately.

Quite possibly, for all their reckless spending, they did not look all that impressive after a blistering start. But if the playing field was more level you maybe would not have lost the nucleus of a very decent squad - McCart, Rooney, Walsh - whilst they were chucking 5k a week at Shankland and their neighbours with two administrations under their belt were running about signing Adam and Dorrans. It will never happen, but clubs should be made to open up their books prior to the start of the season for scrutiny by competent individuals or bodies (i.e. no-one currently involved in the running of Scottish football. Those who do not meet the criteria are then simply told they won't be starting the season and will need to re-apply for election to the league. A pipe=dream unfortunately.

I’m going to take a devils advocate approach to this and suggest that Dundee United had to spend money to compete in the Premiership and thoughts at the time were that supporters would be back in stadia come this time.
Clubs budget in certain scenarios and one with a need to upgrade its team to compete against a backdrop of no idea when you will have supporters in stadia is not something that’s easy to make provision for....