The Falkirk FC Thread

23 minutes ago, AGPar said:

You'd think so. The same goes for Partick, who have also signed a player today. But not sure I like the sound of this.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/crisis-talks-to-be-held-between-clubs-and-football-authorities?top

Maxwell is a total waste of space. No doubt Cockwomble will be looking to wash his hands completely of the diddies so that he can concentrate on his beloved Sky deal and whatever tasks Big Peter instructs him to carry out. It's only a matter of time before a club announces their intention to sit out the season and once that occurs, the dominoes will fall quickly. I still think lower league football in Scotland this season will consist of one league of those teams financially robust enough to survive potentially a whole campaign behind closed doors.

What's the point in that though?

20 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Thought more or less the same, positives with one league is that we would more or less be guaranteed a championship place, that’s about it...

On the basis that the teams who don't participate would be 'demoted'?

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Lets hope he's more Lyle Tayloresque than Dennon Lewisesque. Seemed to do well in the friendly against Raith and at least M&M have had a good look at him first. Also means we hopefully don't have to ever start a game with Sammon this season.

Sammon surely must be considering his options as he's probably fifth choice now. 

11 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

As previously posted I’m sure the Donkey gave all the clubs time to confirm suitability to play - tbh I’m not sure what would happen, my interpretation would be that the teams who could compete would, and others would be left out. What happens then ???

That's the thing; can you imagine the can of worms that would be opened up?

4 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

As previously posted I’m sure the Donkey gave all the clubs time to confirm suitability to play - tbh I’m not sure what would happen, my interpretation would be that the teams who could compete would, and others would be left out. What happens then ???

I dare say there are/were a few clubs that were prob thinking the govt would step in and help them out or no one ever considered the pandemic being this bad or running on so long.

11 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

From today’s daily rag. Sums up Scottish Football in one sentence:

He said: “We’re looking at a crisis situation in the top flight, never mind the lower divisions.

The 'TOP' flight is a joke most of them couldn't compete at all in the English bottom league yet they are playing against teams week in week out with Euro champs league aspirations . This pandemic has just highlighted the issue with our game which is fast becoming a joke .We only have capacity for a 14/16 team professional set up and the powers that be need to move in that direction.  Teams like Alloa, Hamilton, Ross county Livingston have more people playing bowls in the town than attending football matches. The whole will Celtic win 10 in a row being punted by the media is bullshit that nobody outside the bigot brothers gives a shit about. Falkirk incredibly have bucked the trend increasing crowds and sponsorship.How long this will continue in the current set up is debatable but continuing to prop up teams without a fan-base to make up the numbers is a joke. Let the clubs who cant survive go to the wall it will be better for our game in the long run!

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're obviously expecting to play crowds or no crowds.

When they were working out the budget for the coming season FFC must have costed the worst case scenario of no crowds. If they didn't then FFC are F****d !

If fundamental business best practice. What's the worst that can happen ? OK what precautions can we take to ensure survival should that happen.

Now Deans and other people on board are financially savvy. They did not get to where they were in business if they weren't.

The club should make a statement to reassure the support. Failure to do so will just get people thinking ' what ain't they telling us ? and why' 

33 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

When they were working out the budget for the coming season FFC must have costed the worst case scenario of no crowds. If they didn't then FFC are F****d !

If fundamental business best practice. What's the worst that can happen ? OK what precautions can we take to ensure survival should that happen.

Now Deans and other people on board are financially savvy. They did not get to where they were in business if they weren't.

The club should make a statement to reassure the support. Failure to do so will just get people thinking ' what ain't they telling us ? and why' 

We've always been willing and able to play as far as I'm aware whether crowds were a possibility or not and deans has always stated that. If that has changed then they would make a statement. Otherwise we're just planning for the new season as before.

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We've always been willing and able to play as far as I'm aware whether crowds were a possibility or not and deans has always stated that. If that has changed then they would make a statement. Otherwise we're just planning for the new season as before.

Hope so ! but a statement of re assurance from the club would cost nothing and be good PR. 

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Sammon surely must be considering his options as he's probably fifth choice now. 

I think the issue is more he doesn't have any options. He lives in Larbert and will be getting a decent full time wage with us so it doesn't make sense for him to walk away from that in the current times, even if he knows he's not going to be playing.

6 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Bit too early just now, given the STV link someone posted earlier. The club won't know any more than we do. GD was quite vocal in the summer so I suspect that if anything changes he'll put something out. 

I imagine that once preseason games are over we should also get an update on FFCTV for all the football stuff from M&M; ie injuries, squad size, trialists etc. 

Still waiting on that final defender, could be Kingsley if we are lucky although I hope we've had other defenders in on trial in case Kingsley isn't an option. Then a back up keeper and we're sorted. A small greedy part of me wants another winger but i'll settle for the previously mentioned GK and defender.

Starting 11:

Mutch

Mercer Durnan Dixon Kingsley

Morrison Miller Alston Connolly

Keena Dowds

Subs:

New GK, Hall, Sneddon, Gomis, Leitch, Telfer/Todd, Francis

Sammon nowhere near the squad, Laverty out on loan and Lee Miller only drafted in if one of those front 3 get injured.

Edited by FFC 1876

20 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Probability being that teams similar to your team, will be unable to fulfill your league obligations/standing should there no fans allowed....

What makes you think Queens are under pressure & that you'll be in any better a position..... 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Hope so ! but a statement of re assurance from the club would cost nothing and be good PR. 

Putting a statement out just now saying we will be ok is an indicator to anyone willing to invest money to prop clubs like ours up that we don’t need help.
Not in the clubs best interests to do that at this point....

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Surely if a team can't fulfill their fixtures, then does it not revert to a 3-0 win for the team who could play?

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Still waiting on that final defender, could be Kingsley if we are lucky although I hope we've had other defenders in on trial in case Kingsley isn't an option. Then a back up keeper and we're sorted. A small greedy part of me wants another winger but i'll settle for the previously mentioned GK and defender.

Starting 11:

Mutch

Mercer Durnan Dixon Kingsley

Morrison Miller Alston Connolly

Keena Dowds

Subs:

New GK, Hall, Sneddon, Gomis, Leitch, Telfer/Todd, Francis

Sammon nowhere near the squad, Laverty out on loan and Lee Miller only drafted in if one of those front 3 get injured.

Jonny Mitchell probably more likely than Kingsley. Be interesting to see if Hearts come in for him now that Hickey is officially a Bologna player.