The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Why didn't that happen last season then? Why are we still stuck with Sammon? 

Is it at the discretion of the clubs?

Surely you couldn't just pick and choose which players you would release under that clause.  Would that not open you up to all sort of legal wrangling. We'll punt him because he's shit and there's no football but we'll keep these other players that are decent even though there's no football.

11 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’ll disagree.
A big part of the problem has been the ridiculous split of SPFL cash in such a way that the clubs that actually need it least get overwhelmingly the biggest proportionate share.
Indeed the SPFL should also have been setting money aside for years to support clubs getting into trouble, instead they continue to bleat on and deliver little in terms of commercial income.
Yes, clubs share blame, but the authorities that run our game have done little to provide support when it’s needed....

The clubs voted for that.

They voted to have all money paid out and not build up such a reserve.

The clubs voted for that.

They voted to have all money paid out and not build up such a reserve.

Yes. Whilst I agree it’s a members club it’s hardly set up to allow lower league clubs to exert influence in their favour so it’s not going to resolve the fundamental issue of how smaller clubs survive.

Of course the horses have already bolted on this one so not sure any mutiny at this stage will help in this case anyway.

However, longer term, as I have stated before, I think that this so called democratic approach to resolving things only breeds individual self interest and does nothing to move our game forward...

10 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Believe that if the SPFL/SFA suspend or cancel the leagues the players contracts will become null and void.

6 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Last season wasn't suspended or cancelled. It was concluded, as I'm sure the Raith fans will gleefully remind us. 

It's safe to assume that the players who were punted (Doyle & Buchanan) had different clauses in their contracts than Sammon did. 

As to why, well you'ld have to ask either Ray McKinnon or Lex Miller as they would have been the folk who agreed those contracts.  

24 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Yes. Whilst I agree it’s a members club it’s hardly set up to allow lower league clubs to exert influence in their favour so it’s not going to resolve the fundamental issue of how smaller clubs survive.

Of course the horses have already bolted on this one so not sure any mutiny at this stage will help in this case anyway.

However, longer term, as I have stated before, I think that this so called democratic approach to resolving things only breeds individual self interest and does nothing to move our game forward...

Agreed, but sadly there is pretty much nothing that can be done about it due to how the voting system works.

12 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Last season wasn't suspended or cancelled. It was concluded, as I'm sure the Raith fans will gleefully remind us. 

It's safe to assume that the players who were punted (Doyle & Buchanan) had different clauses in their contracts than Sammon did. 

As to why, well you'ld have to ask either Ray McKinnon or Lex Miller as they would have been the folk who agreed those contracts.  

It was definitely suspended , then eventually concluded after that drawn out voting saga. It was suspended for weeks and weeks. 

"Suspended : To cease for a period, delay".  In case you were unsure. 

10 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Yes. Under Clause 12, if the SFA suspends football in an area or the entire country, clubs “may” elect to suspend player contracts. Note that it is a suspension, so you can’t dump players via Clause 12, and it’s an all or nothing proposition. What is  not yet adjudicated is what happens to the term of a contract after such a suspension given the structure of a football year.

Be thankful you’re in League One with Sammon on a two year deal or you’d be hearing from vT every other day about how stupid that was to sign anyone to a two year deal.

53 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Being reported that the English government have told the FA their on their on. The FA were after an immediate cash injection of 500M,  should this decision stand, I would imagine there are many English clubs teetering on the brink. 
It’s probably a safe bet that our Scottish Government will likely say the same, it’s looking more critical by the day for many of our clubs. My guess is that the SPFL will ask the lower league clubs to cancel or hibernate this season. 

When you look at what the EPL clubs are paying for players let alone their salaries its a bit necky  especially when clubs were paying off background staff and furloughing players.  Look at the money involved in the premiership games and compare that to up here. You also have to bare in mind that we have Rugby, Horse racing, the arts etc all wanting Govt handouts to help them survive.

38 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

When you look at what the EPL clubs are paying for players let alone their salaries its a bit necky  especially when clubs were paying off background staff and furloughing players.  Look at the money involved in the premiership games and compare that to up here. You also have to bare in mind that we have Rugby, Horse racing, the arts etc all wanting Govt handouts to help them survive.

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Being reported that the English government have told the FA their on their on. The FA were after an immediate cash injection of 500M,  should this decision stand, I would imagine there are many English clubs teetering on the brink. 
It’s probably a safe bet that our Scottish Government will likely say the same, it’s looking more critical by the day for many of our clubs. My guess is that the SPFL will ask the lower league clubs to cancel or hibernate this season. 

From what I can see the Minister was saying that Elite sport would need to find ways to get through this and that support would be targeted at lower levels of sport.

Now, what that actually means, I’m not quite sure but I would imagine that Division 1 and 2 in England would qualify as ‘lower level’.

What the SG is planning - no idea.

3 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

My earlier year suggestion that a few English league sides would crumble leaving a gap for Rangers and Celtic to join could yet still happen.

Long shot I know, but seemingly if you repeat things a few times they become true.

7 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

My earlier year suggestion that a few English league sides would crumble leaving a gap for Rangers and Celtic to join could yet still happen.

Long shot I know, but seemingly if you repeat things a few times they become true.

Expect the colts to be forced on us if they do f**k off

32 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're obviously expecting to play crowds or no crowds.

You'd think so. The same goes for Partick, who have also signed a player today. But not sure I like the sound of this.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/crisis-talks-to-be-held-between-clubs-and-football-authorities?top

Maxwell is a total waste of space. No doubt Cockwomble will be looking to wash his hands completely of the diddies so that he can concentrate on his beloved Sky deal and whatever tasks Big Peter instructs him to carry out. It's only a matter of time before a club announces their intention to sit out the season and once that occurs, the dominoes will fall quickly. I still think lower league football in Scotland this season will consist of one league of those teams financially robust enough to survive potentially a whole campaign behind closed doors.