Kris.

The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Would not disrespect former players contributions to the club by naming names when they returned to play for the club

It was so sad that George Miller Captain of that great Willie Cunningham's team. Should be remembered as manager rather than the best captain of a Bairns team I have seen. 

Same with Yogi

An absolute colossal at the back for us and total hero as a player, but remembered not fondly by many as a manager. 

I've always been dead against former players coming back as managers because it usually ends badly.  I cringe when people used to shout for Latapy or Stainrod for manager.    

8 hours ago, jeff crooks said:

I suspect / hope we have a deal with Gow whereby he gets a cut of sell on fees in return for doing the legwork in identifying and bringing in younger guys we can sell on. It's more likely it will work if he has some financial interest but I don't see them restarting the academy in the short term. I hope it works and he is as eloquent and if he's as effective a business man as he was a player. It is a tough gig but more enterprising than having Lex anywhere near player recruitment and the next best alternative to having our own conveyor belt of talent..I would only let him help out the groundsman or sweep the terraces but unfortunately we don't have any ( partly because of him and the people he grooves to) so he would be better getting to France and take those he works for with him 

If it's Lex you're on about he'd most likely go to Tenerife where his "luxury apartment" sweatbox is.

In my opinion he's desperate for the cash for his shares so he can bugger off to join his mates at Hamilton Accies.

10 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

"has plans to emigrate and the local businessman plans to spend more time with them"

Please not Australia , it's not big enough!

14 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

No disrespect intended.  The two men would have been the first to recognise their failure second time around.  Nothing wrong with observing that.  We all fail many times in life.  When you fail on a public platform there is no hiding or denying it.  

No time did I think you post was. You raised a pertinent point.

10 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

"has plans to emigrate and the local businessman plans to spend more time with them"

Please not Australia , it's not big enough!

Heard he’s investing in a coffee shop chain in New York.

10 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Mostly players returning doesn't work with the possible exemption of Crunchie, but then he is one of us. Just got to give Gowser a chance and hope for the best, if as has been rumoured he is buying out LM's shares for me that has to be a positive.

Big Craw was excellent in his 2nd spell as a player with us.

However outside Craw, Crunchie and to a degree Houstie you are spot on mate.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

If we're talking about unsuccessful returns by former players, John Clark deserves a mention... 

11 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I’d say the worst former player / manager returning was John Prentice coming back to replace Willie Cunningham. My father and several of his mates didn’t go to matches during Prentice second spell.

It was not good ! As a youngster I was thrilled when the Cup Winning captain came having never seen him play, I had been told about Captain Courageous and when he left the first time it for me and a betrayal. When he returned I could not believe it and was against him from the start even when his team got promoted with a high win ratio.

Look at the legacy ! Who talks about him lifting the cup , the penalty , the leadership on the park ? nobody. 

Think was was on the cards for a long time and regardless of what many thought about the guy, he served the club through some very turbulent times. There’s no doubt this now heralds a very significant change within the board room and positive signs that there’s major changes to follow. Good luck in your next chapter...

Are any of the MSG selling their shares, or is this more window dressing to try and sell season tickets?

5 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Same with Yogi

An absolute colossal at the back for us and total hero as a player, but remembered not fondly by many as a manager. 

I've always been dead against former players coming back as managers because it usually ends badly.  I cringe when people used to shout for Latapy or Stainrod for manager.    

Yes ! Prentice - Miller - Hughes it would be nice for a bit of perspective and rehabilitation remembering what they did on the pitch rather than from the dugout !

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Are any of the MSG selling their shares, or is this more window dressing to try and sell season tickets?

GD did say they are looking to reduce their holding on the club with a share issue to be released by the end of the year.  dare say more will come out at the AGM next month

9 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Yes ! Prentice - Miller - Hughes it would be nice for a bit of perspective and rehabilitation remembering what they did on the pitch rather than from the dugout !

Yogi was a better manager for Falkirk than he was a player. It baffles me that anyone can have watched us for the last decade and not see how incredible a job he did.

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Yogi was a better manager for Falkirk than he was a player. It baffles me that anyone can have watched us for the last decade and not see how incredible a job he did.

I think it was the end of his managerial time with us and his whoring himself to every club down south not to mention his ego that folk dont acknowledge his achievements as manager not to mention the  "the next level" and dads army which had they been at their prime would have been a brilliant team 

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Hughes did a great job and it's been a decade of decline since he left so difficult not to appreciate the work he did.

He does have a track record of leaving clubs with expensive duds they can't easily get rid of but a strong board should have stopped him doing that. Any manager is going to try and get the best players they can with the money made available.

He's not the most likable character and the amount he praises himself makes people (including myself) feel like they need to point out his inadequacies. 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Unfortunately the MSG don’t need to try very hard. 1,400 soft c*nts have already fallen over themselves to sign up for more of the same. Alexander and Ritchie will be holding their bellies with laughter.

My house looks down onto lesser Hampden. Louis Longridge and Tommy Robson out there training with them as we speak. It’s basically a squad full of our rejects.

Lex leaving means another small step in the right direction, with him and Thomson gone it can only be a good thing. The main culprits of course are still at the helm and until they dilute or bail will continue to call the shots. Time will catch up with them eventually but the biggest worry is their parting shot, when they could possibly sell to some undesirables. They've already proved that's possible.