The Falkirk FC Thread

Investing anything like as much in capturing and developing young talent.Are you suggesting otherwise?

No. I genuinely wasnt clear what exactly it was you were suggesting we didnt bother with.

That said, whilst not for one second would I attempt to claim we invest as much in a youth academy as Falkirk do it would be pointless if we did. Clearly geographically we have nothing like the population down here to make it worthwhile.

We actually do pretty well out of our youth programme. It may not have made us big money as it has Falkirk but its provided a good few decent players recently (Holt, Carmichael, McShane, Reilly, Atkinson, etc.) and a couple of international prospects (Grant Hanley, Denny Johnstone).

Don't know exactly what price he went for but if he's in the region of 'highest transfer fee' the board have done brilliantly. He's no Arfield.

You're joking right?!

I reckon we've sold 10 players in around 6 years or so. Arfield, Stewart, Flynn, Wallace, Murdoch, Fulton, Kingsley and McGrandles from the academy and Taylor & Higgenbotham. That's got to be around £2.5 - £3m with add ons yet we still don't seem to be getting out of the bit.

if it hadn't been for the academy we'd be challenging Morton & Ayr just now at best, very probably part time too.

There don't seem to be very many more waiting in the wings however?

Guest Back Post Misses
Don't know exactly what price he went for but if he's in the region of 'highest transfer fee' the board have done brilliantly. He's no Arfield.[/quote

Sorry but I disagree he is miles better than Arfield at 18. Arfield had hardly played at game for us at that age where this lad has 80 odd games under his belt. He will only get better.

Arfield had no where near the variety in his game or the ability to play in three or four positions.

This is a bum deal and not in the clubs best long term interests.

Guest Back Post Misses

In the last year we have took in £1m in transfer fees,no club in our position can turn down that type of money.

No club in our position? Explain that?

No. I genuinely wasnt clear what exactly it was you were suggesting we didnt bother with.

That said, whilst not for one second would I attempt to claim we invest as much in a youth academy as Falkirk do it would be pointless if we did. Clearly geographically we have nothing like the population down here to make it worthwhile.

We actually do pretty well out of our youth programme. It may not have made us big money as it has Falkirk but its provided a good few decent players recently (Holt, Carmichael, McShane, Reilly, Atkinson, etc.) and a couple of international prospects (Grant Hanley, Denny Johnstone).

I agree. I wasn't for a moment criticising Queens (You know I wouldn't do that) for not having a youth programme to rival Falkirk's or Hamilton's. As you say, population alone would prevent us from doing anything on a similar scale. I was making the point that Falkirk's admirable set-up does not seem to be taking them anywhere particularly impressive on the field.

Maybe it would have been clearer if I'd left out the word, 'bother'.

Not sure why but I thought it was purely pay at the gate tomorrow - was looking forward to it but I'm not travelling through when there's a chance I'll miss out by not being one of the first.

Bit bonkers that the season will be over a month old before we have our second home league game.

I called Tynecastle yesterday for the same reason and was told there are 450 tickets available at the gate and contingency for another 200. Cash accepted at the turnstyle.

Why does Gaz FFC become Gaz on the mobile app in quotes?

Don't know, but given Gaz FFC can come across as a raging simpleton, I'm not happy about it. Edited by Gaz

I see Mark Beck was wanted by Cowdenbeath on loan but he's rejected them.

Right now I would take him.

No, no and thrice no! Nothing against him but it's just not my style of football. We do need a striker though although I'm unsure of who's available now?

The board need to release funds now! Think we should go for Darren Barr and offer Peterheid £50k for MM and see what happens. With a bit of luck he's got a release clause in his contract. Of course we know that this shower releasing any sort of decent money just aint gonna happen!

Guest Back Post Misses

What will be Martin Ritchie's excuse for not going to this meeting on Monday? I'll say another made up holiday.

It is going to be death by PowerPoint from Colin Lidl, talking in big words and sending everyone to sleep. Lex Miller pressing the buttons and McIntyre standing up and saying "we are no telling you" like the Sevco vote question at a previous gathering.

Falkirk fans could not give a shite about corporate governance just about 3-5 on a Saturday. Take care of that and everything else is simple.

Ritchie missed something one time because he was harvesting his olives in France, and I do not jest!!!!

My betting is on a Pedro Pele type walk on to placate the lemmings like OstrichBairn.

Guest Back Post Misses

What will be Martin Ritchie's excuse for not going to this meeting on Monday? I'll say another made up holiday.

It is going to be death by PowerPoint from Colin Lidl, talking in big words and sending everyone to sleep. Lex Miller pressing the buttons and McIntyre standing up and saying "we are no telling you" like the Sevco vote question at a previous gathering.

Falkirk fans could not give a shite about corporate governance just about 3-5 on a Saturday. Take care of that and everything else is simple.

Ritchie missed something one time because he was harvesting his olives in France, and I do not jest!!!!

My betting is on a Pedro Pele type walk on to placate the lemmings like OstrichBairn.

on the of chance of this charlatan turning up I will be asking if the intention is now to pay of the soft loans and getting us on an even keel without the intention of selling a player every season before we kick a ball. I will also be asking how clubs like raith can invest in new players despite having at least a thousand less season ticket holders than us and haven't sold a player for anything like a hundred grand in god knows how long eta I will be stunned if ict or st Johnstone have sold more than that we are being totally hoodwinked

Edited by distresseduke

Guest Back Post Misses

on the of chance of this charlatan turning up I will be asking if the intention is now to pay of the soft loans and getting us on an even keel without the intention of selling a player every season before we kick a ball. I will also be asking how clubs like raith can invest in new players despite having at least a thousand less season ticket holders than us and haven't sold a player for anything like a hundred grand in god knows how long eta I will be stunned if ict or st Johnstone have sold more than that we are being totally hoodwinked

I don't believe they will be paying back soft loans ahead of the schedule. If I was them I wouldn't do it either. They have got themselves in a positive cash position after years of struggling.

I think a bit will go to the team, a bit in contingency and most for development of the east side of the stadium. The club is currently hamstrung by the council and maybe we can make a crust from the other side now. Only my thoughts, I have no idea what they will do.