The Falkirk FC Thread

11 hours ago, TxRover said:

You’ve conflated the seasons and comments. In the 18-19 season he was working with what the team had, and a few changes, and muffed it badly because they weren’t his type of players for his scheme. In the 19-20 season he was in control from the start, and brought in “his crew”...and then proceeded to prove he had no idea how to compete effectively in League One because he was so incapable of getting performances out of his players. As I said, QP spending in League One next year with Ray in charge, that might well be a sight to see and laugh at.

I've conflated nothing. McKinnon was able to bring in 12 players in the January transfer window of 2019. A little bit more than "a few changes" Our relegation had nothing whatsoever to do with him being forced to work with someone else's players and everything to do with him s*****g the bed in the most spectacular way possible and deciding that we could draw our way to safety when survival was in sight. And as dire as we were last season, we were still "competing effectively "in League 1 due to the abysmal standard of every other team in the division. It's just that that is nowhere near good enough for any Falkirk fan who retains even a modicum of ambition or expectation for where the club should be.  So apart from that, you're bang on.

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Nothing it was actually just the first ground a thought of in league 1... 

Experienced a bizarre Falkirk game there in the 70's.

The wind was blowing a gale down the park. There was incessant rain blowing horizontal and it looked like it had been blowing for days. 

Bye kicks could not get out the box while at the other end they sailed out the park for a bye kick at the other. Players could not pass or run with the ball and it was a farce. Both sets of players, management and fans were pissed off at this but the referee for some reason wanted it played to a conclusion.

It was and still is the must miserable time I have ever spent at a football game and believe me I have watched some shit over the decades.

Anybody else remember it ?

15 minutes ago, Trump said:

Connor McBride, ex academy, signing for Blackburn from Celtic. Don’t know if he was released or they got a fee. Didn’t do much out on loan last year, would we have benefited from keeping him/the academy?

Looked miles off a first team spot when last saw him with our dev team. Not sure whether it was ability or being related to certain agents that got him the Celtic move.

Experienced a bizarre Falkirk game there in the 70's.
The wind was blowing a gale down the park. There was incessant rain blowing horizontal and it looked like it had been blowing for days. 
Bye kicks could not get out the box while at the other end they sailed out the park for a bye kick at the other. Players could not pass or run with the ball and it was a farce. Both sets of players, management and fans were pissed off at this but the referee for some reason wanted it played to a conclusion.
It was and still is the must miserable time I have ever spent at a football game and believe me I have watched some shit over the decades.
Anybody else remember it ?
This sounds more like Gayfield going by my recent visits?

3 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Definitely. Hopefully we will have a few friendlies this month that can be shown on Ftv to look forward to. 

At the moment friendlies can begin on Monday 14th September, as per the latest govt guidelines. I know a few games are in the calendar so presumably the club will provide details nearer the time. 

return-to-footballspfl.jpg

Spent one of the worst days of my life at Gayfield sometime back in the 70's.  Was suddenly coming down with the worst type of flu in a winter storm with whipping horizontal rain and near freezing temperatures.  I can't remember anything about the game, or the result, just feeling like I was dying.  Mind you, got a similar feeling at many Falkirk games over the years :) 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Gayfield Ha ! that's a mild breeze compared to Links Park but I do take your point !

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I have nothing but great feelings for & memories of Arbroath & Montrose. 

(I'm sure there was a venue in Montrose called Sharkeys or something similar as the band I was in played there a few times) .

Can I add Central Park Cowdenbeath to this list? I remember a November midweek game, dark, freezing, blowing a gale, horizontal rain... crouched down against the back wall, wiping the rain out my eyes; peering out across the shale terracing, the wire fence, the race track, the grey grass behind the goal, to a half-lit mud-bath pitch - thinking WTactualF are we doing here.  Took 24 hours to thaw out afterwards.  Happy days. 

41 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

What a shite hole that place is, and too add insult three stitches on napper  for cracking head on the beams in stand, must of been built for adults no taller than 5ft. Never set foot in that place ever again.

I had a great day out there to watch Cowdenbeath beat Cove in the League 2 playoffs, sat in the Cove end and by chance was sat right next to Paul "arsehole" Hartley although this was just after he kept us up so I was quite happy about it.

The game was tremendous, Cowdenbeath scored a contentious goal to win it and absolutely everyone connected with Cove; players, coaches, fans and owners went mental. Square goes all over the shop, Cove got 3 players sent off and it was quite sunny too. Great day out as a neutral.

Place is a shite hole right enough though.

21 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I had a great day out there to watch Cowdenbeath beat Cove in the League 2 playoffs, sat in the Cove end and by chance was sat right next to Paul "arsehole" Hartley although this was just after he kept us up so I was quite happy about it.

The game was tremendous, Cowdenbeath scored a contentious goal to win it and absolutely everyone connected with Cove; players, coaches, fans and owners went mental. Square goes all over the shop, Cove got 3 players sent off and it was quite sunny too. Great day out as a neutral.

Place is a shite hole right enough though.

Was standing behind the goals at the High Street end for that game. First half it felt like Cove were going to absolutely destroy them. Second half was much more of a contest and the level of meltdown from everyone with an AB12 postcode was on a scale I'd never seen before. 

7 hours ago, AGPar said:

I've conflated nothing. McKinnon was able to bring in 12 players in the January transfer window of 2019. A little bit more than "a few changes" Our relegation had nothing whatsoever to do with him being forced to work with someone else's players and everything to do with him s*****g the bed in the most spectacular way possible and deciding that we could draw our way to safety when survival was in sight. And as dire as we were last season, we were still "competing effectively "in League 1 due to the abysmal standard of every other team in the division. It's just that that is nowhere near good enough for any Falkirk fan who retains even a modicum of ambition or expectation for where the club should be.  So apart from that, you're bang on.

Actually 14 players “arrived” in the Winter ‘19 window. One of them is a player often considered on of Ray’s pets, and that’s it. The rest were a motley assortment of odds and sods to try to convert the midfield and attack into something Ray felt comfortable with...it failed. I stand by the assertion that Ray can’t do shite with another coach’s signings if their philosophy varies from his because he lacks flexibility.

3 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and I have nothing but great feelings for & memories of Arbroath & Montrose. 

(I'm sure there was a venue in Montrose called Sharkeys or something similar as the band I was in played there a few times) .

Good fish suppers after the game. Support friendly, chat away to you in the pub beforehand.  But ! that wind it cut through you !

Brechin was a good day out as well on the turfed terracing and the Bovril out a china cup you returned to the stall. It was a different era and yes absence makes the heart grow fonder of memorable away games in the distant past and dismal days at Morton and Albion Rovers !

33 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Actually 14 players “arrived” in the Winter ‘19 window. One of them is a player often considered on of Ray’s pets, and that’s it. The rest were a motley assortment of odds and sods to try to convert the midfield and attack into something Ray felt comfortable with...it failed. I stand by the assertion that Ray can’t do shite with another coach’s signings if their philosophy varies from his because he lacks flexibility.

Burgoyne, Edjenguele, McKenna, Dixon, McShane, Osman, Waddington, Keillor-Dunne, MacLean, Lavery, Todorov, Jarvis. That's the list of players who arrived in the January 2019 transfer window. 12 of them.  And as McKinnon comprehensively proved last season, he "can't do shite" even when he has got all the usual suspects in his dressing room. So your assertion is completely fatuous. He is a dreadful, dreadful football manager, period.

To be fair, he was exceptionally good at pointing and looking worried. He also had the “sad wee face” thing down to a tee.

An absolute imposter of a man. He will only ever succeed in the Jim Leishman way.......bags and bags of imaginary money aboard a gravy train for a season or two. Difference is Leishman is a pretty decent chap.

13 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Burgoyne, Edjenguele, McKenna, Dixon, McShane, Osman, Waddington, Keillor-Dunne, MacLean, Lavery, Todorov, Jarvis. That's the list of players who arrived in the January 2019 transfer window. 12 of them.  And as McKinnon comprehensively proved last season, he "can't do shite" even when he has got all the usual suspects in his dressing room. So your assertion is completely fatuous. He is a dreadful, dreadful football manager, period.

Burgoyne was a decent keeper TBF and Keillor Dunne looked capable, Dixon only really improved when McKinnon got binned. The rest of those signings were honking. Shayne Laverty should have been a success but never got a chance, he certainly looked a player after he left us. 

7 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Looked miles off a first team spot when last saw him with our dev team. Not sure whether it was ability or being related to certain agents that got him the Celtic move.

Saw him twice so not long enough to pass a fair opinion. He was fast from a standing start and was sharp in the box but lightweight. Showed potential but required to bulk up.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Turner and O’Hara? Disagree, but certainly wouldn’t want him back for any team as his long term success is nil too.