The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

I don't really think us being in league 1 hinders us that much as we're still a big fish just in an even smaller pond and the promise of regular first team football is really the driver. 

Our scouting a recruitment system has been absolutely gash for quite a while now which is why we've not been signing the right types of players. We've made lazy signings for too long. I hope that with Gow coming in we start having people, if we don't already, religiously watching u21, u19 youth games to see where we can pick up players that are coming out of contract and have potential.

Recruitment is inevitably the difference between a successful club and an unsuccessful club as you can have the best managers in the world but if you sign absolute duds you're not going to go anywhere. I like the signings we've made this season so hopefully times are changing.

Of course it hinders us. If its a choice between us and say dunfermline then they're far more likely to choose dunfermline at the moment than us whilst if both clubs are in the championship its a different story.

5 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Thoughts on Louis Longridge ? Signed for Qp 

Probably the biggest ballhog you'll ever sign but I wouldn't have minded him staying on at us this season as no matter how frustrating he can be at times he has quality. Scored 5 and assisted 8 for us last season so should be a stand out player for you lot next season.

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:
1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Great to read about ex Rangers player Gow and his Rangers regret. Hoping to help find the next Scott Arfield.

For some reason most of the articles about Gow and us have him with a St Mirren top on and stating former St Mirren and Rangers player forgetting he played for us.

Edited by AL-FFC

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Thoughts on Louis Longridge ? Signed for Qp 

Inconsistency. Has plenty ability and on his day is a very good footballer. His days don't happen often enough. He should be far too good for league 2, if he can be bothered. I'd have kept him over Telfer and Sammon. On the latter how are you guys fixed for strikers? Sir Bob apart

Edited by ebobsboy

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Should be a big cut above league 2 but then most of us thought that about league one. Has undoubted talent but unfortunately only turns it on very now and again.

100% this. 
Was on trial at a premiership side last summer and now he’s in league 2.

10 minutes ago, Messi Scott said:

Sounds like longridge turned down QoS for Queen’s Park. Quite funny tbh

Queens park location is going to be a big draw for signings, nothing to do with the cash on offer at all.

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Inconsistency. Has plenty ability and on his day is a very good footballer. His days don't happen often enough. He should be far too good for league 2, if he can be bothered. I'd have kept him over Telfer and Sammon. On the latter how are you guys fixed for strikers? Sir Bob apart

Going by the rumours, sounds like we’re bringing in Simon murray for the striker position also. Outrageous signing at league 2 level. Glad it’s not sammon 😂

5 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Going by the rumours, sounds like we’re bringing in Simon murray for the striker position also. Outrageous signing at league 2 level. Glad it’s not sammon 😂

With those signings Ray will have you in contention for top of the league by christmas

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Assuming there’s a clear strategy with the cash rich board, which I would imagine is a two/three year plan for a championship top four spot, the squad assembled should on paper be out of sight at Christmas. Interesting to see what materialises....

remember what he said with us said if we were in touching distance of Raith by christmas it would be an achievement with what was assembled any competent manager would have had us top of the league.

12 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

remember what he said with us said if we were in touching distance of Raith by christmas it would be an achievement with what was assembled any competent manager would have had us top of the league.

Not having that. I'm not one for defending McKinnon as it was him that signed the players but I think a lot of managers would have struggled with the side that we had at the beginning of last season.

Fair enough M&M were managing to get somewhat of a tune out of them towards the end of the season but I never really thought we had much of a team, more just individual players that going off their quality on paper should have won us the league but they were shoehorned into unnatural positions/systems.