The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm not sure how we can be in a better position off the pitch than any time in the recent past. The same people are in charge, last season income was League 1 gates, and cut short. This season is yet to start and will do so with no gates and increased costs, without any guarantee whatsoever that it will survive the winter.

We arent alone, but off the pitch we are in a pish poor, and extremely precarious position I'd say.

Nothing to be not sure about, no matchday income since 7th March, sponsorship/advertising deals will be much lower, I am guessing we were one of the few clubs topping up the furlough, season ticket sales will take a massive hit, signed players may have been enticed with signing on fees as well as we will now be paying players and I can see the fans getting back into grounds with a percentage of capacity in the early stages which will cost clubs more to police with less income.

The plus side is league prize money and the money the Hearts bloke investor gave to all the clubs which with the prize money probably wouldnt cover the loss of our remaining 4 home games income from last season.

I am looking forward to the football starting again but a large part of me wonders how poor the standard will be this season especially in a closed door enviroment. I enjoyed the European games recently but a lot of the behind closed door games have been piss poor, I have fell asleep recently watching the Scottish effort so far on more than one occasion. 

I think its safe to say the game without fans is nothing, they may not need fans for income in some of the cash rich leagues but the game needs them at all levels.

3 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Based on the fact I've seen most if not all of our new signings in action. That with them all being of a good age makes me think it's been a good recruitment window. 

Is that independent thought ok for you?

On the basis that none of these players has yet kicked a ball for Falkirk, your claim that this has been - not could be, might be, has the potential to be, on paper looks to be - "the best recruitment we have had in a while" is ridiculously and hyperbolically premature.

Two former player returning epic fails that stick out to me are George Miller (as manager) and Rory Loy.  Doubt if we will see anything like that.  Blair must be a better player now than when he left us.  If he's not there is something drastically wrong somewhere.  Even if he hasn't learned or progressed at all in the past four years, getting him back as he was is a great move for us.  Gow is more of an unknown quantity in his new role.  Overall I think there is cause for genuine optimism - provided the season goes ahead as planned and finishes.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

Looks every inch the successful and respected businessman to me, can't understand why he wasn't given the keys.
Never mind that..... Like and share this post to get two restricted view tickets to the Toploader reunion tour at the Dobbie Hall next November

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Two former player returning epic fails that stick out to me are George Miller (as manager) and Rory Loy.  Doubt if we will see anything like that.  Blair must be a better player now than when he left us.  If he's not there is something drastically wrong somewhere.  Even if he hasn't learned or progressed at all in the past four years, getting him back as he was is a great move for us.  Gow is more of an unknown quantity in his new role.  Overall I think there is cause for genuine optimism - provided the season goes ahead as planned and finishes.

Gerry McCoy as well

16 minutes ago, Fawkirk Wull said:

Might have missed this but was the DOF advertised  or was Gowser approached, just a small point. If all true why would a possible buyer suddenly want to become a DOF. Seems like something happening behind the scenes

Wasnt advertised , might have been a way for them to get the investment dangle the carrot for the investment and they offer him the D of F role win win for both parties 

Blair must be a better player now than when he left us.  If he's not there is something drastically wrong somewhere.

I don’t think he is and that’s fine.

I’ve seen him a couple of times in the last season and he has been anonymous and on the periphery of most games.

But... at this level he’ll be an asset and should have time from the fans to regain confidence and form hopefully in time for the championship next season.

Would not disrespect former players contributions to the club by naming names when they returned to play for the club

It was so sad that George Miller Captain of that great Willie Cunningham's team. Should be remembered as manager rather than the best captain of a Bairns team I have seen. 

21 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Would not disrespect former players contributions to the club by naming names when they returned to play for the club

It was so sad that George Miller Captain of that great Willie Cunningham's team. Should be remembered as manager rather than the best captain of a Bairns team I have seen. 

No disrespect intended.  The two men would have been the first to recognise their failure second time around.  Nothing wrong with observing that.  We all fail many times in life.  When you fail on a public platform there is no hiding or denying it.  

9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Christ and I thought I was negative. Can only be a positive move surely.  Cant help thinking is it not better to get in a guy whose fingers are on the pulse still when it comes to scottish football rather than someone whose been out the game for some time and whose contacts have dried up years ago. Ross Wilson had zero experience when he took up a similar role with us and was 27 when he moved to Watford. He's done no bad for himself. Gow's played in a number of countries and his contacts should still.be fresh.  Let's see where we go from here but to me its a better appointment than some old manager being dragged out of retirement to spend a few hours helping out when they're not on the golf course.

I suspect / hope we have a deal with Gow whereby he gets a cut of sell on fees in return for doing the legwork in identifying and bringing in younger guys we can sell on. It's more likely it will work if he has some financial interest but I don't see them restarting the academy in the short term. I hope it works and he is as eloquent and if he's as effective a business man as he was a player. It is a tough gig but more enterprising than having Lex anywhere near player recruitment and the next best alternative to having our own conveyor belt of talent..I would only let him help out the groundsman or sweep the terraces but unfortunately we don't have any ( partly because of him and the people he grooves to) so he would be better getting to France and take those he works for with him 

Edited by jeff crooks

QUOTE The new role will primarily be focused on ensuring that the Managers are provided with the highest level of support to enable staff and players to compete and perform at the optimal level both now and in the future.

The new Head of Football Operations will also be tasked with the development and implementation of a carefully planned football strategy, which will include the creation of a new structured scouting and football analysis network in addition to the re-establishment of a youth development pipeline.UNQUOTE
Open to being wrong, but I see nothing in that wording that says Gow is going to be selecting players to be signed. Now that might be taken as read in terms of the role, but equally, not spelling it out in any of the above might well be deliberate because that’s not in the job description.
The keywords are “support, strategy, structured scouting network”.