Jump to content

The Falkirk FC Thread


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I think that’s overstating the case. Raith and Falkirk were both teams with significant flaws last year. Raith’s, more so than Falkirk’s, was due more to injuries, but both sides had players in positions they simply weren’t suited for. Raith’s middle carried it, in much the same way Falkirk’s stingy defence drove them up the table, except against Clyde. What Clyde had was a player who is very clearly much above League One level, and that was the problem.

With M&M established and getting the players to believe in them, I would expect Falkirk’s defending to be the same or better. Of course, this year you’ll have Partick’s attack, as well as Clyde’s, to contend with, but I’d be highly surprised if at least the Clyde situation isn’t improved upon after seeing it last year. Surely Falkirk are nearly co-favorites for the League?

 

P.S. Any thoughts on Jamie MacDonald’s strengths and 

Decent shot stopper. Bit shaky on crosses and prone to some real clangers. The most important being in the scottish Cup final unfortunately when he went down in installments and palmed the ball right to Vincent who scored. That will always blight his time with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

A goalscorers the hardest thing to find, Patrick already have Rudden, Lyons and Graham who are all equally capable of scoring 10+ in this league. Whereas we have Conor Sammon who scored 7 in all competitions last season and next up was Louis Longridge on 5 in all comps. 

Sammon scored 10 in all competitions last season. If we play to his strengths rather than treating him like a target man, he could easily get more imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Moutinho said:

Sammon scored 10 in all competitions last season. If we play to his strengths rather than treating him like a target man, he could easily get more imo.

He's never been a goalscorer though, in fact I think his best goals to games ratio is with us! 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I think that’s overstating the case. Raith and Falkirk were both teams with significant flaws last year. Raith’s, more so than Falkirk’s, was due more to injuries, but both sides had players in positions they simply weren’t suited for. Raith’s middle carried it, in much the same way Falkirk’s stingy defence drove them up the table, except against Clyde. What Clyde had was a player who is very clearly much above League One level, and that was the problem.

With M&M established and getting the players to believe in them, I would expect Falkirk’s defending to be the same or better. Of course, this year you’ll have Partick’s attack, as well as Clyde’s, to contend with, but I’d be highly surprised if at least the Clyde situation isn’t improved upon after seeing it last year. Surely Falkirk are nearly co-favorites for the League?

 

P.S. Any thoughts on Jamie MacDonald’s strengths and weaknesses?

MacDonald will make a wonder save at the top corner followed by letting every shot near him in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually can't believe we are in talks to re sign Telfer. I hope he knocks us back to concentrate on his law career. We already have one passenger in Sammon, don't need another. 

Edited by ebobsboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He's never been a goalscorer though, in fact I think his best goals to games ratio is with us! 😂

He  needs a striking partner to get the best out him. Not only would he score more goals he would create them as well.

Miller will know this being a similar type of player and am hopeful of an appropriate signing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

He  needs a striking partner to get the best out him. Not only would he score more goals he would create them as well.

Miller will know this being a similar type of player and am hopeful of an appropriate signing.

He can have a partner on the bench to talk about how he's managed to steal a wage from football for all these years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

He  needs a striking partner to get the best out him. Not only would he score more goals he would create them as well.

Miller will know this being a similar type of player and am hopeful of an appropriate signing.

He had a striking partner last year!  He's not effing interested so get him oot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Miller will know this being a similar type of player and am hopeful of an appropriate signing.

I've no idea what you have been watching, but that useless lump is absolutely nothing like Lee Miller, in any sense. There is zero resemblance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

The more I read about the whole arbitration fiasco the more I genuinely think we might not be playing Partick next season anyway. The spfl are making an almighty balls of it!

Interesting article on it the SFA have fucked up (no shock really)days are counting down to the new season stalling tactic perhaps

https://the4thofficial.net/2020/07/sfa-doesnt-have-a-leg-to-stand-as-their-own-articles-of-association-allows-hearts-partick-to-go-to-court/

  1. A member, an associated person and/or the Scottish FA shall not take a Scottish FA Dispute to a court of law except with the prior approval of the Board. For the avoidance of doubt, this Article 99.12 does not prevent a member, associated person and/or the Scottish FA from raising proceedings for time bar purposes, subject to such proceedings being sisted at the earliest opportunity for resolution in accordance with this Article 99.

Edited by AL-FFC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Decent shot stopper. Bit shaky on crosses and prone to some real clangers. The most important being in the scottish Cup final unfortunately when he went down in installments and palmed the ball right to Vincent who scored. That will always blight his time with us.

I'd put the blame on conceding that goal about 75% to the defence and 25% to McDonald.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd put the blame on conceding that goal about 75% to the defence and 25% to McDonald.

I think he got caught out by the striker scuffing his shot, he was expecting something a lot more difficult to come at him. Should have gathered it easily though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd put the blame on conceding that goal about 75% to the defence and 25% to McDonald.

It was a litenay of mistakes from mccracken not rugby tackling the boy in midfield initially to McDonald's poor attempt at keeping it out. A goal that couldve been avoided if one player out of about 4 had done their job right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

He  needs a striking partner to get the best out him. Not only would he score more goals he would create them as well.

Miller will know this being a similar type of player and am hopeful of an appropriate signing.

What? They're a similar height maybe?

Sammon is fast, Miller isn't. Miller is good in the air, Sammon isn't. Miller can bring the ball down and protect it, Sammon can't. Sammon is good at running the channels, Miller isn't. Other than that though...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...