The Falkirk FC Thread

Unlike Dixon, Connolly, McManus and even Durnan who showed big improvements under M&M, Telfer arguably had his "best" displays under McKinnon, never showed up once for M&M and his only notable input was kicking Regan Hendry in an act of inexplicable cowardice.

he’s a big fan of the consolation penalty.

It's probably 90% likely that everyone currently in contract renegotiations will re-sign with us as I don't really see many clubs being after the ones we are trying to re-sign. That being said I hope they've all been offered reduced terms so we can spend the majority of our budget bringing in some quality to our team as we're severly lacking right now. Lewis was trying to get out of m&m how much of a squad we'd have for next season but I'd like to think we'll have at least 20. So right as of now with everyone re-signed we'd have 13 players  if we included Lee Miller as a player. That leaves us with 7 signings to make. A loan back up keeper, a right back, a centre back, a centre mid, a winger and two strikers please.

Edited by FFC 1876

43 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It's probably 90% likely that everyone currently in contract renegotiations will re-sign with us as I don't really see many clubs being after the ones we are trying to re-sign. That being said I hope they've all been offered reduced terms so we can spend the majority of our budget bringing in some quality to our team as we're severly lacking right now. Lewis was trying to get out of m&m how much of a squad we'd have for next season but I'd like to think we'll have at least 20. So right as of now with everyone re-signed we'd have 13 players  if we included Lee Miller as a player. That leaves us with 7 signings to make. A loan back up keeper, a right back, a centre back, a centre mid, a winger and two strikers please.

That's of no relevance whatsoever. They were out-of-contract. We have absolutely no contractual obligations towards any of these players. Had they performed to any kind of reasonable level and secured promotion, we probably would have. They didn't. So if the management team had decided a second attempt to win promotion from the third tier of Scottish football required a better standard of player than a Telfer or a Durnan or a Leitch or whoever, they would have been perfectly within their rights to let them go. Their future employment prospects, or lack of them, are no concern of theirs. But as they have chosen to re-sign these players, and retain the core of he squad from last season's failure, they obviously must think they are deserving of a second attempt. Their decision. They're both experienced enough to know the consequences of another season like last year. 

When Telfer signed it was a two year deal. Was there a clause about promotion to trigger the 2nd year? I wouldn't give him a game if we were one short for the 5's.
We have been too soft for years and him getting a new contract after last season would be a key indicator that we will be too soft again this season.

Too soft, too lax, too ponderous, too scared to have a go.

There were shoots from M&M last season but I am getting the fear again already that we are just going to be bloated and laborious again as wake up in about week 11 of the new season to realise it's already too late.

The club seeking to set up some social media fanfare for the re-signing of various duffers that couldnt get us out of this league last season says it all. We need to sign significant quality (relative to what we have) to win this league, and I dont really get the sense that its happening. I obviously hope to be wrong.

Prove me wrong Falkirk.

25 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

When Telfer signed it was a two year deal. Was there a clause about promotion to trigger the 2nd year? I wouldn't give him a game if we were one short for the 5's.

I would but I'd put him with the better players to try and keep things even.

M&M need to change their mindset. Playing safe against Raith at Starks cost us the league last time and being defensive against Clyde because they were feart of the rapist didn't work.  It's a shortened season, playing the percentages won't work.

I'm also sick fed up of a dull, tedious midfield playing it safe every time, passing it around for ages before giving up and launching it long. We've been severely lacking since Sibbald left.

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

M&M need to change their mindset. Playing safe against Raith at Starks cost us the league last time and being defensive against Clyde because they were feart of the rapist didn't work.  It's a shortened season, playing the percentages won't work.

I'm also sick fed up of a dull, tedious midfield playing it safe every time, passing it around for ages before giving up and launching it long. We've been severely lacking since Sibbald left.

Totally agree with your points regarding the negative tactics.

Partick are on a downward spiral so hopefully the negative feeling around their club continues.

Don’t get the fear some of our fans have around Cove - over hyped, Highland League pish imho 

Sounds like Nelson has gone down the Tommy Robson route of how to look after yourself off the pitch.  Both would be wasting wage money if true.  

Priority has to be a couple of creative attacking midfielders (e.g Alston/Swanson) and a couple of decent strikers.  (maybe loan deals from the SPL).   When we played Celtics colt team they played us off the pitch for large chunks of that game, must be one or two there that we could maybe tempt with first team football.  

Majority of funds should be spent on attacking options.  Get that right and we're good as defensively we'll be fine (if not amazing).

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Sounds like Nelson has gone down the Tommy Robson route of how to look after yourself off the pitch.  Both would be wasting wage money if true.  

Priority has to be a couple of creative attacking midfielders (e.g Alston/Swanson) and a couple of decent strikers.  (maybe loan deals from the SPL).   When we played Celtics colt team they played us off the pitch for large chunks of that game, must be one or two there that we could maybe tempt with first team football.  

Majority of funds should be spent on attacking options.  Get that right and we're good as defensively we'll be fine (if not amazing).

Neil Lennon is friendly with Ian McCall no chance are we getting top loans from Celtic.

Hopefully Lee Miller made good friends with now influential football people when he played in England.

5 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

With regard to the tedious midfield which is right to an extent but its also the rest of the team is culpable for not providing the runs off the ball.  runs behind the back 4 , overlapping fullbacks, box to box runners from the midfield, give and go etc. 

We have all seen it in the last 2 seasons, just far to many players standing waiting for a ball to be played. All to predicable and all to easy to play against.

25 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Were we playing a friendly today? On off the ball said we had won incorrectly against Dundee Utd as it was Livingston they were playing, but we had won against??? 

The players aren't back at training. First friendlies probably won't be until September.