The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd prefer to see us go for Agnew. Guarantees you 10 goals a season from midfield at this level something we certainly don't have at the moment.

I'd take a couple of guys like this too. Proven to do a good job in this league. 

18 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Number of championship clubs after him, Stood out when we played them, and gave our two CBs a hard time (not difficult) not a prolific goal scorer yet, but as many have posted, young and a very decent player. Probably end up with one of the top four championship clubs

Most strikers in the league gave buchanan a hard time.  Sounds like he may be worth a gamble as a cheap squad player though. 

I don't mind us trying to sign young hungry players with energy and a point to prove, the team is devoid of pace. But I'd also like to see us at least try n go for someone like Danny Mullen who has been freed from St. Mirren.  He probably wouldn't come but if you don't ask you don't get. 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I'd take a couple of guys like this too. Proven to do a good job in this league. 

It's no coincidence that we looked vastly improved last season after adopting this approach, rather than players who on the face of it seemed "too good for this level"

2 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It's no coincidence that we looked vastly improved last season after adopting this approach, rather than players who on the face of it seemed "too good for this level"

Sammon being a perfect example. Most I think thought/hoped he would "stroll" this league, which watching him play is about all he does do. 

37 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Mismanaged for years, two consecutive disastrous managers, and now a rookie pair left to rebuild for a third year. Assuming that all furloughed players sign up, we are needing 6/8 players coming in, just hope M&M have got the right players in sight. As said it’s where we are....

This is the bit that gives me the fear. You would think that we would have learned after the Eddie May appointment. At least then we "only" dropped down to the Championship, if we don't get up to the Championship this year we could be down here forever. I know that M & M have done little wrong but I still don't think they are the right choice to get us out of this God awful league (come back Houstie, all is forgiven). How many games should we give them? 5? 6? It is only a 27 game season, if we are well off the pace after 10 games we are screwed. Why is there no apparent sense of urgency from the board that our situation is desperate?

Sorry,  I know that I'm a bit of a broken record when it comes to M & M.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd prefer to see us go for Agnew. Guarantees you 10 goals a season from midfield at this level something we certainly don't have at the moment.

I could be wrong, but I think I have read before Agnew is an example of one of these players who remains PT because he has a decent gig off the pitch? If so, we would have to accommodate him. But I would take him. He is a proven operator at this level and would be even better in a team which theoretically should have a lot of the ball

Said to a few mates about PT players. Often overlooked as have decent day job. Fears that PT players fitness would be a concern is simply a myth. Don’t think I’ve seen one PT player looking out of sorts after playing against us. Defo should be an avenue to look at, at this level.

Don’t think they’re overlooked. They’ll be on a decent part time wage plus their day job which will be more money than we can offer on a full time basis, and it’s mostly if not all about money.

However, you’re right that we could do more accommodate them, should they wish to join.

21 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

This is the bit that gives me the fear. You would think that we would have learned after the Eddie May appointment. At least then we "only" dropped down to the Championship, if we don't get up to the Championship this year we could be down here forever. I know that M & M have done little wrong but I still don't think they are the right choice to get us out of this God awful league (come back Houstie, all is forgiven). How many games should we give them? 5? 6? It is only a 27 game season, if we are well off the pace after 10 games we are screwed. Why is there no apparent sense of urgency from the board that our situation is desperate?

Sorry,  I know that I'm a bit of a broken record when it comes to M & M.

I just think that McCracken has took a bit of what he learnt off Houston in the regard that he won't go for it when we have to and is content not to lose, Miller seems to be more than happy to be best mates with the players. They haven't done much wrong though, but as you say big test for them ahead, the recruitment has to be right. 

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

My concern is that new managers usually hit their best contacts first when they get in the job. If January was their best contacts then we're in big trouble.

We don’t need to rely on contacts at this point. McCracken said we’re getting loads of players fired at us and I’m sure I seen an interview with Gary Holt saying for the first time in who knows how long the ball is back in the club’s court with regards to signing players as they’ll be lots available. 

Edited by CC52 FFC

Problem is the players who are out of contract and getting fired at you tend to be shite. The ones who  are under contract and a loan option or who don't need their agents advertising their services are the ones you want and the right contacts help a lot when that's the case.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Problem is the players who are out of contract and getting fired at you tend to be shite. The ones who  are under contract and a loan option or who don't need their agents advertising their services are the ones you want and the right contacts help a lot when that's the case.

Most transfer windows this is the case but this one will be different due to circumstances.

Why are we going over the whole “we shouldn’t be trusting rookie manager’s to get us out of this league” again? Our previous 2 managers were experienced and made a mess of it. I’m not saying M&M are going to succeed, however, getting an “experienced” manager wouldn’t be a guarantee either

Just now, Rocco said:

Why are we going over the whole “we shouldn’t be trusting rookie manager’s to get us out of this league” again? Our previous 2 managers were experienced and made a mess of it. I’m not saying M&M are going to succeed, however, getting an “experienced” manager wouldn’t be a guarantee either

I don't care whether its a rookie or an experienced manager I just want the right manager.  Houston apart they've all been wrong since Hughes left and it hasn't mattered whether rookie or experienced. We'll just need to hope m and m buck that trend.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I could be wrong, but I think I have read before Agnew is an example of one of these players who remains PT because he has a decent gig off the pitch? If so, we would have to accommodate him. But I would take him. He is a proven operator at this level and would be even better in a team which theoretically should have a lot of the ball

Agnew has a PT training company on the side. Plus he's got a few years left on his contract at us. It's not him that's signed haha