The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It should be agreed by all before the season started.

FIFY.

Expecting the SPFL to do anything correctly or proactively is insanity. Besides, that would be out of the tradition of finding new and creative ways to screw Falkirk.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It would have to be agreed by all before the season started.  You would have to have some kind of meaning to it though or you would end up with a pile of games that would count for zip if you weren't challenging at the top. Anyway  going by what's happened over the past 20 odd years when it comes to us and promotion we haven't got a hope in hell.

Well, aye, obviously it would need to be agreed beforehand however, you seem to be alluding to us being promoted to the Premier if we won it. I can't see how that would be fair given that we shouldn't even have been in the Championship in the first place.

I really can't see how it could be considered without official reconstruction.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Do a countdown to the return of football. Since we have no earthly idea when that may be, you can just pick whatever number you like that has a fun fact.

Nah, that would be daft.

However, it's been 90 days since our last game, which is how long it took to walk from Constantinople to Jerusalem in Roman times. 

7 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Well, aye, obviously it would need to be agreed beforehand however, you seem to be alluding to us being promoted to the Premier if we won it. I can't see how that would be fair given that we shouldn't even have been in the Championship in the first place.

I really can't see how it could be considered without official reconstruction.

You couldnt have a league where only certain teams could get promoted or relegated though that would be ridiculous. Oh wait a minute that's exactly what we had in the 90s/00s.

I hope Gary Deans' bullish statement of "we're ready to play" doesn't come back to haunt him (us). It's all very well saying this when the Government are paying 80% of all your employees' wages but it's a different picture when they are not in a month or so.

I recall him saying on Sportsound 4 or 5 weeks ago that we were okay for 6 months with the cash we had.

In the unlikely event we are catapulted into a makeshift Championship because we have our hand up and end up playing a season behind closed doors we'd be in serious  strife. It won't happen of course but let's not shout from the rooftops about playing unless there are crowds allowed in.   

6 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

I hope Gary Deans' bullish statement of "we're ready to play" doesn't come back to haunt him (us). It's all very well saying this when the Government are paying 80% of all your employees' wages but it's a different picture when they are not in a month or so.

I recall him saying on Sportsound 4 or 5 weeks ago that we were okay for 6 months with the cash we had.

In the unlikely event we are catapulted into a makeshift Championship because we have our hand up and end up playing a season behind closed doors we'd be in serious  strife. It won't happen of course but let's not shout from the rooftops about playing unless there are crowds allowed in.   

I think we'd be fine for half a season but I dont see it being a goer for any team outside the top flight to play a whole season behind closed doors. Just cant see that even being contemplated. It would be a serious struggle for the top flight I'd imagine.  Dean's for me is saying look we dont want to be sitting doing nothing till january we want to play and are ready to play.  It'll be half a season at the max or no play at all I would say for clubs outside the 12.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think we'd be fine for half a season but I dont see it being a goer for any team outside the top flight to play a whole season behind closed doors. Just cant see that even being contemplated. It would be a serious struggle for the top flight I'd imagine.  Dean's for me is saying look we dont want to be sitting doing nothing till january we want to play and are ready to play.

Yes but what is the point of saying it when clearly we can't.

The Government has to allow crowds in , how can it be okay to cram onto public transport to go to work (or attend a mass gathering of protestors)  but not sit in a half full stadium outdoors properly distanced.   

Interesting points raised this morning regarding playing again.

That can only happen with a business plan and that involves a budget on what money will come in over the next season whatever way it is structured. From that you know how much money you can allocate to a playing squad. 

FFC have not as far as we are aware. Surveyed the support, sponsors, advertising. These are the crucial income streams and they don't have not a scooby !

Take the support for example. Hand on heart most would buy whatever package was offered, of course they would. They have bought season tickets for 3 years of crap !

However many will have lost their jobs, many will be on reduced income. That equals a smaller disposable income and therefore as much as you want to you just cant afford it. Other priorities come first in particular if you are eating into savings keeping a roof over your head and food on the table.

Point made !

FFC have to get their act together and get that feedback from these income streams. If they don't then they could bankrupt the club.

As they said in Apollo 13 ' lets not make thing worse by guessing ! '

You couldnt have a league where only certain teams could get promoted or relegated though that would be ridiculous. Oh wait a minute that's exactly what we had in the 90s/00s.

So it's a non starter then? Think you might as well just drop it mate!

14 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

So it's a non starter then? Think you might as well just drop it mate!

It's not a non starter.  If it's a choice between doing nothing for a season or playing in a one off league for a season then the second choice wins hands down as that means we'll still have a club to support.

2 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Yes but what is the point of saying it when clearly we can't.

The Government has to allow crowds in , how can it be okay to cram onto public transport to go to work (or attend a mass gathering of protestors)  but not sit in a half full stadium outdoors properly distanced.   

We can though. We can play asap. At no point has he said we can play a whole season behind closed doors.  If there are other clubs out with the top flight able to play then we want to be a part of it that's all he is saying exactly the same as partick are.

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Reading the daily’s would suggest that there is now considerable worry that so called “ season start” is already in jeopardy as only Celtic & RC have invested in the testing apparatus. Strong suggestion that most SPL clubs are struggling to find the so called £5K per week associated costs.

With reference to the recent comments regarding Gary Deans statement about our financial situation, I would be surprised that we could see out a further six months, unless we’ve had some sort of behind the scenes cash injection. I recall an interview that he made reference to being ok until July / August back In March.

That's another thing needing cleared up the cost of testing. SFA says it can be done for 2500 grand or maybe even less a week and yet other people are saying over 4k. 

I suppose we've had the strip sales which would raise a wee bit and the virtual 50/50  has been  brilliant. Compare ours to partick. We gave out 2300 quid on saturday whilst partick was only 400 odd. We need some way of starting to sell seasons though which means the spfl need to get their finger out so we know what's happening.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

25 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We can though. We can play asap. At no point has he said we can play a whole season behind closed doors.  If there are other clubs out with the top flight able to play then we want to be a part of it that's all he is saying exactly the same as partick are.

How big is the squad ? How much are the wages ? How do you manage the bonuses ?

From what you posted Shadwell the club plough on regardless of how its going to be funded.

No ! before anything is done we get the financing of it sorted out. With that the club for example put together a Squad of 16, wages 60% of what was paid last season with the carrot of a promotion bonus.

34 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

How big is the squad ? How much are the wages ? How do you manage the bonuses ?

From what you posted Shadwell the club plough on regardless of how its going to be funded.

No ! before anything is done we get the financing of it sorted out. With that the club for example put together a Squad of 16, wages 60% of what was paid last season with the carrot of a promotion bonus.

Plough on? Dean's and the bod have already been working on costings for various situations and have said we're ready and willing to play.  Obviously just like everyone else we need to know what the season will entail so that they know which strategy to put in place.  We're in the same boat as anyone else outside the top flight looking to play this season.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Plough on? Dean's and the bod have already been working on costings for various situations and have said we're ready and willing to play.  Obviously just like everyone else we need to know what the season will entail so that they know which strategy to put in place.  We're in the same boat as anyone else outside the top flight looking to play this season.

Well if he is ready to have FFC play do you not think it would have been a good idea to ask the hard core support ( season ticket holders ) what they think of the various situations ? They don't have a scooby on what % will take up the offer and what they will pay. 

So ploughing on regardless is very apt !

And what if the championship doesn't start until January, do we parachute you into the Premier? 

It's not a non starter.  If it's a choice between doing nothing for a season or playing in a one off league for a season then the second choice wins hands down as that means we'll still have a club to support.

So you'd quite happily play in a 'one-off league' and return to L1 the following season even if we won it? I think the cost would outstrip the income and could put us in significant financial difficulties at the end of it especially as we have no idea if the virus is going to make a comeback (although most experts are confident that it will). We would, most probably, have to shelve that season as well anyway.

How many people do you estimate would but a season ticket to watch a series of friendlies? I don't think the take-up would be very high although, conversely, I do think fans would donate to keep us afloat for a season.

4 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Only a suggestion but all things considered, getting the current required health testing will send the majority of clubs outside the SPL into hiding. Yes there are a few clubs stating “ ready to go “ I would imagine once the costs are realised ( rumoured from 2.5k to 5k per week) would mean clubs looking at roughly 12.5/25k per month. Father Christmas reported gift of £50K per club wouldn’t last long. 

You're clearly forgetting about the £1000sssssss that we'd have from virtual macaroon bar sales!